Raiders Defense Thread

IK Webby likes us making new threads. Let's keep talk about the Raiders defense in here. I want to start with Jack Jones. We all love him, but for a player to come in at MID SEASON and play the way he did is absurd. He has legit CB1 upside (or better) if he can build off of last year in Graham's system. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

A forgotten player is Byron Young.

Struggled with his transition to the NFL like a lot rookies do. Interested to see his growth and whether he can lock down a position in the rotation.

I was not a fan of this choice, would have been okay drafting him in the 5th, but rookie DTs tend to struggle with the transition to the NFL.  I would like for him to prove me wrong but I will not hold last year against him.

• Like 1

My thoughts:

• We have a truly elite DL. I can't wait to see how a Crosby - Wilkins - Tyree - Koonce front 4 looks in passing downs. Maxx will likely be in the running for DPOY.
  • I think our Safeties are unspectacular but rock solid.
  • CB has a lot of potential in Hobbs and Jones, but CB3 scares me. I hope we sign a vet FA like I mentioned in the other thread.
  • At LB, Spillane had a career year and is a great leader. I think Deablo is decent enough too. Eichenberg I think will slowly see the field more as the year goes on too.

Overall I think we could have a top 10-12 D, but will be held back by how often they see the field (I don't trust our QB situation atm).

• Like 2

PG was fantastic last year. Made things simple for the players and kept it mostly vanilla. It worked when Josh got fired and we saw a change in the defense. 

This year I would like to see a little more creativeness from PG. Raiders were near the bottom of the league in running stunts on the DL. Feels like that has to change when you got the guys on this DL. When they did it last year it was really successful. It worked beautifully and was a major part of the Raiders game plan against the Chiefs.

You don’t blitz and that is fine but you have to run stunts on the DL to make the OL think. Need more from PG this year. He shows more and he’s a HC next year. Big year for him

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 2

DL should be good, LBs are solid, S's are solid, CBs are alright. 

Depth is still rough at some spots. 

We should be in the upper 1/3 of the league given the weapons and continuity on D. The few holes we have (CB3 for example) probably keep us from being a truly elite D even if everything goes right. Totally understandable to me. But if we regress at all, changes shouldn't even be a debate. 

On 7/21/2024 at 9:29 AM, bucksavage1 said:

Struggled with his transition to the NFL like a lot rookies do. Interested to see his growth and whether he can lock down a position in the rotation.

I hope he can be a rotation DT this year. idk. Emerging as a starter would be amazing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I hope he can be a rotation DT this year. idk. Emerging as a starter would be amazing

Sometimes we have to give rookies a pass. Many good players in the NFL had no impact their rookie seasons 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Sometimes we have to give rookies a pass. Many good players in the NFL had no impact their rookie seasons 

DT is a traditional position where players make no impact as a rookie. We draft too many rookies, so I'm quick to judge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

DT is a traditional position where players make no impact as a rookie. We draft too many rookies, so I'm quick to judge.

Agreed. It is a big transition from college O-line vs Professional O-line

13 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Agreed. It is a big transition from college O-line vs Professional O-line

There's a chance for young guys to emerge at DT and CB. Young and Richardson have a real shot at making an impact. Fracyson is average at best, and could be beat out. Jenkins is an old man. He's solid but could regress at any point. 

15 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

There's a chance for young guys to emerge at DT and CB. Young and Richardson have a real shot at making an impact. Fracyson is average at best, and could be beat out. Jenkins is an old man. He's solid but could regress at any point. 

You've called him a sleeper all offseason. Now he's average at best before TC even starts? 

On 7/21/2024 at 9:29 AM, bucksavage1 said:

Think about this: Jack Jones has only been in the NFL, one more year than Jakorian Bennett