AB vs Gore for thr HOF

Ab v Gore  

34 members have voted

1. 1. More hof worthy

• AB
    • Gore

On 7/22/2024 at 8:19 PM, Kiwibrown said:

Imo it's not close that AB should be in the HOF and a 1st Ballot. He was one season away from discussion of being in the top 5 all time. He is mental but that shouldn't be held against him, it was wrong to keep TO out for a year. If they belong they belong imo, and if we hold the man against their talent we should eliminate a lot poppe LT, Jim Brown, OJ. Rey Lewis.  

Gore was elite for maybe one season and a good runningback for as long as anyone ever, but really the tail of his career was consistent but mediocre. he is not imo a hofer. The media loves and him and are intent on getting him in.

They will be coming up around the same time, not the same year perhaps but within a season or two 

With this logic would you enshrine Jim Tyrer? Retired in 1975, and in 1980 murdered his wife, then committed suicide. He hasn't even been close to being enshrined despite the pile of accolades. Some of the other folks you mentioned like OJ Simpson were already enshrined when they went off the deep end. Brown, and Taylor never killed anyone. Ray Lewis probably didn't either. Antonio Brown hasn't, but his antics have made Owens look like Fred Rogers. So do you really not draw the line anywhere??? Anyone can do anything, and should still be celebrated for their contributions as a football player??? 

On 7/22/2024 at 10:07 PM, El Ramster said:

Gore the modern day Emmitt smith. Bunch of nothing. Most overrated back the last 20 years. If he sniffes the HOF I’ll cry… 

Put Clinton Portis in the HOF ima die on this hill. If he never left Den, dude might have broken all the records. There has never been a better back to run that shanny system

than Portis. 

If, If, If.../coulda, shoulda, woulda. This hypothetical indulgence can be applied to anyone that ever played. :)

Portis didn't even reach 10k yards despite the heavier load he got when he went to WSH, and broke down before he was 30. As good as he looked in Denver, he was never even 1st Team All Pro once. He has 2 Pro Bowl nods for his entire career. 

Since we're talking about "if's"...had Gore not been the bedrock for some toothless 49ers' offenses over the years, and played in Denver, New England, or Pittsburgh he'd probably would have had better numbers in addition to winning a ring. If your comparison to Gore is the modern day Emmitt Smith then clearly he belongs in Canton without hesitation. Gore's talent was toughness, and consistency. Even if he wasn't consistently great, he was consistently good, and didn't miss practically anytime until he was in his mid 30's. That's pretty remarkable, and unheard of for a runningback. Even a lot of guys that were better than Gore can't say that about their careers. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

How many HOF's quit on multiple teams?  Again, a sports writer has to bring them up.  The Colt's sports writer is not going to do it since he has Colts he wants in.  Same almost all other teams.  He has to hope the Steeler's would do it but there is some bad blood.  No other team will do it.

On 7/24/2024 at 4:38 AM, iknowcool said:

Here's the problem I have with the longevity argument - he was a below average RB his final 6 years.  Why should we give him credit for teams with bad running games having to rely on him?  

13,000 YFS in 10 years is impressive, but Matt Forte had more (14468) in 2 fewer games, just as many TDs, and far less fumbles.  Gore deserves credit for keeping his body right to stay and play for 6 more years, but is that really enough to propel someone to the Hall of Fame (as I doubt Forte will make it), how good they actually were those 6 years be damned?  Longevity should only mean something (in terms of making the HOF) if in those final years, you were still one of the best players at your position 

Ehhh...I feel like Marcus Allen more or less got in this way. Obviously his situation was a bit unique with Al Davis essentially holding him hostage. His final few seasons in KC though he was productive for what he was asked to do...which was share a good amount of the rock with the likes of Kimble Anders, and Greg Hill. I'm not sure if he gets in without those final years with the Chiefs. To his credit he was still racking 1K from scrimmage. 

As for Forte, he essentially broke down once he went to the Jets. Great player though. He won't make the HOF. Gore's best chance his the narrative on his toughness, and being able to play for so long not missing much time. Whether that is enough to sway voters, we shall see. Sometimes it's not just the raw numbers, but having a story to tell. A lot of guys have gotten in that way. Like John Riggins. No one remembers his years with the Jets. Or really his numbers, which are more akin to a compiler like Gore. But those two years late in his career where he got a ton of touchdowns, the 1982 playoff dominance, and an iconic SB run got him the nod. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

If, If, If.../coulda, shoulda, woulda. This hypothetical indulgence can be applied to anyone that ever played. :)

Portis didn't even reach 10k yards despite the heavier load he got when he went to WSH, and broke down before he was 30. As good as he looked in Denver, he was never even 1st Team All Pro once. He has 2 Pro Bowl nods for his entire career. 

Since we're talking about "if's"...had Gore not been the bedrock for some toothless 49ers' offenses over the years, and played in Denver, New England, or Pittsburgh he'd probably would have had better numbers in addition to winning a ring. If your comparison to Gore is the modern day Emmitt Smith then clearly he belongs in Canton without hesitation. Gore's talent was toughness, and consistency. Even if he wasn't consistently great, he was consistently good, and didn't miss practically anytime until he was in his mid 30's. That's pretty remarkable, and unheard of for a runningback.

Portis was the superior gifted athlete. He was better in any and every way possible. Portis fits your prototypical Rb. Fast, explosive and can get you chunk plays. Gore was a dude falling forward for 3 yards and grind out games. Earlier gore was nice, I won’t lie. But Portis in Denver was a monster. He went to die in Washington because they ran power. My guy was a zone RB. 3,099 yards his first 2 years 5.5 YPC, with 29 TDS. While missing 3 games. That’s LT, Barry, Eric Dickerson and AP production. He missed 10k yards by 77 yards. He had 4 year stretch to start his career with 49 total TDs, 7,059 yards on 4.7 YPC while missing 4 games. I’m sorry but Gore could never. 

Portis was the truth. Had a 5 tuddy game against the Chiefs. 

Edited by El Ramster
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Portis was the superior gifted athlete. He was better in any and every way possible. Portis fits your prototypical Rb. Fast, explosive and can get you chunk plays. Gore was a dude falling forward for 3 yards and grind out games. Earlier gore was nice, I won’t lie. But Portis in Denver was a monster. He went to die in Washington because they ran power. My guy was a zone RB. 3,099 yards his first 2 years 5.5 YPC, with 29 TDS. While missing 3 games. That’s LT, Barry, Eric Dickerson and AP production. He missed 10k yards by 77 yards. He had 4 year stretch to start his career with 49 total TDs, 7,059 yards on 4.7 YPC while missing 4 games. I’m sorry but Gore could never. 

Portis was the truth. Had a 5 tuddy game against the Chiefs. 

Portis can be the superior athlete, and not have as prolific a career. Portis, like many runners before, and after him essentially had a "shooting star" period of dominance, but broke down in their late twenties. Portis couldn't stay on the field by the time he was 28. 

Frank Gore wasn't a guy that fell forward for 3 yards, and a cloud of dust lmao. You either didn't watch him play extensively, or are purposely being obtuse. You don't average 4.5 yards the first ten years of your career on that many carries by being a Natrone Means like you're describing. 

Gore could "never", because he was never put in that specific situation like Portis was. Once Portis left Denver he wasn't any different than any other high profile runner that got a ton of carries in a traditional power offense. You think Mike Shanahan, and Alex Gibbs couldn't feast with Gore??? Please. :)

If you can't hit 10K yards for your career traditionally, then you essentially need to have an intriguing narrative to get enshrined. Portis has none of that, and that's why he won't be a HOFer regardless of those two years in Denver where he looked like he was on his way. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be the controversial one and say neither. Gore is not a HOF talent. Gore is 3rd all time in yards while being tied at 86 for yards per attempt. Gore basically had 6 mediocre seasons where he hung around and got enough yards to take him from outside the top 20 to top 3. Gore would have retired a long *** time ago if he wasn't chasing numbers.

Longevity should accentuate a HOF argument, it should not be the argument. In Frank Gore's case, it is very clearly his entire argument. Quite a few players behind Gore in yards could have done exactly what he did to get to #3 and hit that benchmark at a similar pace. They didn't need to because they were HOF players and already had all the elite seasons they needed. 

AB is a totally different case. He is a HOF talent. But if they held TO 2 years for being a cancer on his teams, idk what they call a guy that literally ended his career prematurely by literally taking his pads off in the endzone and leaving because he was butthurt, never to be seen again. His antics basically meant he started 7 regular season games total in his last 3 years and every team he ever was part of ended in a ****show. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think Fred Taylor was a better RB than Gore...but Freddy will never make it. 

Fred is very underrated.  I think it could be because so much of the country never got to see very many of his games.  Myself, I remember hearing his name, but I don't recall seeing him play one time, other than in old videos.  It's a shame, too, because he looks amazing in those videos.  Fast, strong runner with moves.  A deadly combination.

On 8/12/2024 at 2:45 PM, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

Fred is very underrated.  I think it could be because so much of the country never got to see very many of his games.  Myself, I remember hearing his name, but I don't recall seeing him play one time, other than in old videos.  It's a shame, too, because he looks amazing in those videos.  Fast, strong runner with moves.  A deadly combination.

Fred is another guy that’s become semi over loved because of his podcast. 

I think guys like Corey Dillon, Steven Jackson, Mjd, Chris Johnson, Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis, Shaun Alexander and Lesean McCoy were better or more memorable. Now Westbrook might be a reach. But to me he was the engine that made that Philly offense go without no name Wars forever. Dude was a weapon out the back field. The original darren sproles. 

On 8/15/2024 at 5:53 AM, El Ramster said:

Fred is another guy that’s become semi over loved because of his podcast. 

I think guys like Corey Dillon, Steven Jackson, Mjd, Chris Johnson, Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis, Shaun Alexander and Lesean McCoy were better or more memorable. Now Westbrook might be a reach. But to me he was the engine that made that Philly offense go without no name Wars forever. Dude was a weapon out the back field. The original darren sproles. 

I'm with you on Steven Jackson, and probably Lesean McCoy, but otherwise, from the admittedly little bit I've seen of Fred, he looks about as good as all the others.  I didn't even know he had a podcast, so I'm not giving him any extra credit for that.  Haha.  It seems like most Jaguars fans would say Fred was better than MJD.  Maybe I'm wrong on that.  I'm bound to be wrong on something eventually!  ;)