Raider Training Camp 2024

8 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You gotta cut the Raiders some slack the GM did draft Herbert so he knows talent when he sees it.

No doubt Telesco has made some good draft picks but his ability to build a quality roster to compliment a stud like Herbert is questionable.  I think Herbert is a top 7 NFL QB who has been held back by terrible coaching and playing behind a porous, atrocious D.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Exactly what I had been saying for years and my biggest fear is where we are now at the QB position.  Carr was good enough to get us to the playoffs with a decent supporting cast but could have been upgraded if the right opportunity presented itself.  Unfortunately it never did then Mcidiot and DZ included a foolish NTC giving Carr all the power.  When the relationship soured McIdiot and DZ threw Carr under the bus, let him walk with nothing in compensation and had a cap hit of 6M against us for cutting him  Complete incompetence but then, to top it off, they go after their boy ol' noodle arm who sucks so bad he gets both those idiots fired by mid season. Sadly that has been the Raider way for over 25 years.  

I don't think anyone can argue against us being in a worse position at QB both last season and this season with Jimmy G, AOC and Minchew than if we had stuck with Carr.  With Carr at Qb and an improving roster this team could have made the playoffs last year and certainly could have again this year. If the opportunity presented itself to draft his successor who was a superior talent I would have been all in.  

People on here are delusional and somehow foolishly though if we move on from Carr an elite QB will fall into our laps.  Complete and utter nonsense now look where we are...  Zero compensation for moving on from him all while downgrading the QB position.  That is incompetence at it's finest! 

Could not have been better said...

6 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Right which is the whole reason why I didn't want to draft him because at best is he has to sit. 

You're not drafting a then 20 year old Qb for what he can do over the first half of his first season, you're drafting him for what he hopefully can do for your franchise over the next 15 years. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You gotta cut the Raiders some slack the GM did draft Herbert so he knows talent when he sees it.

I mean....we had Mayock land us Renfrow, Crosby, and Hobbs but nobody with any sense is saying Mike Mayock deserves another GM position. 

Telesco's here and so there's no point constantly dunking on the guy, but saying he knows talent because ofa couple of gimme picks isn't particularly inspiring. Aside from Keenan Allen the Chargers had years of pretty awful drafting minus the rare Denzel Perryman type pick.

Sure, he picked Herbert but everyone knew they were going QB and Burrow and Tua were off the board. They weren't getting the pick needed for Burrow and I'm not giving much credit for not trading up for Tua because Herbert was still there. What else was he going to do? Take Jordan Love at 6 overall and throw him in immediately? 

Of course, I hope he does a much better job here than he did in Southern California, because his performance there was pretty bad. In December when we beat the ever loving s#it out of the Chargers, the jokes around here were that we not only got rid of their HC, but their GM as well. It wasn't until we goofed and hired him that anyone here was willing to be a fan of his or defend his record. 

44 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I saw that too. KC and Gruden are just bitter and petty.

Like what does KC need from Gruden?

hopefully lessons to be more like a Gruden team the last 20 years than an Andy team lol

13 hours ago, Dessie said:

Yes sorry NCOUGH, here it is https://x.com/PGutierrezESPN/status/1819921894172442773

Confirmed here as well 

https://justblogbaby.com/posts/training-camp-day-8-gardner-minshew-makes-a-statement-in-team-scrimmage

“Tyree Wilson put together a great day, as he sacked O'Connell and also forced him to throw it away another time.”

Nice

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I mean....we had Mayock land us Renfrow, Crosby, and Hobbs but nobody with any sense is saying Mike Mayock deserves another GM position. 

Telesco's here and so there's no point constantly dunking on the guy, but saying he knows talent because ofa couple of gimme picks isn't particularly inspiring. Aside from Keenan Allen the Chargers had years of pretty awful drafting minus the rare Denzel Perryman type pick.

Sure, he picked Herbert but everyone knew they were going QB and Burrow and Tua were off the board. They weren't getting the pick needed for Burrow and I'm not giving much credit for not trading up for Tua because Herbert was still there. What else was he going to do? Take Jordan Love at 6 overall and throw him in immediately? 

Of course, I hope he does a much better job here than he did in Southern California, because his performance there was pretty bad. In December when we beat the ever loving s#it out of the Chargers, the jokes around here were that we not only got rid of their HC, but their GM as well. It wasn't until we goofed and hired him that anyone here was willing to be a fan of his or defend his record. 

The difference between Mayock and Telesco is that Mayock just always wanted to "outsmart" everyone.
Which somehow worked in later rounds, but totally failed in the first rounds.

And Telesco takes the obvious picks in the first two rounds.
Like you mentioned: They needed a QB  and so he picked Herbert. He would've taken any of the Top 3 QBs that year.
But he don't find gems in the later rounds.

As a hyperbole I would say, if you let Telesco pick rounds 1-3 and Mayock 4-7 you'll get a superbowl contender within 2-3 drafts, as long as you don't let any of them pick a HC.

Cause that's another downside of Telesco. I think he formed a good roster (starter wise) but somehow the Chargers managed to underperform every year.

On 8/4/2024 at 12:04 AM, Frankie2Gunz said:

That is pure speculation.  Did we even make an offer for him?

If JJ turns out to be a good NFL QB our front office will have to explain themselves as to why they didnt make a play for him.  

I believe we could have traded our 1st and 3rd to move up to grab him.

What's there to explain that they havnt allready said by their actions?

As much as Big Palooka tries to tell us that the Vikings wanted to go all in on JJ they in reality only paid a small premium to move up, something we could have easily outbid. Would the Vikings outbid that? Who knows, but there was no need because the fact is we didnt even beat their final offer. And that says everything we need to know about what this front office thought of JJ. 

4 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

The difference between Mayock and Telesco is that Mayock just always wanted to "outsmart" everyone.
Which somehow worked in later rounds, but totally failed in the first rounds.

And Telesco takes the obvious picks in the first two rounds.
Like you mentioned: They needed a QB  and so he picked Herbert. He would've taken any of the Top 3 QBs that year.
But he don't find gems in the later rounds.

As a hyperbole I would say, if you let Telesco pick rounds 1-3 and Mayock 4-7 you'll get a superbowl contender within 2-3 drafts, as long as you don't let any of them pick a HC.

Cause that's another downside of Telesco. I think he formed a good roster (starter wise) but somehow the Chargers managed to underperform every year.

Telesco will take the best player available. Derwin James, Slater, Bowers.... guys that feel to him that should have been taken earlier on. 

I think the Chargers issue was poor coaching and ownership not wanting to move on from a bad one nor pay a good one. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He and Reid are long time great friends going back to their days in Philly.

Both were with the Packers too. It just looks petty. Reid is a far superior coach than Gruden. While Reid’s offense has stood the test of time, Gruden offense was dated 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Telesco will take the best player available. Derwin James, Slater, Bowers.... guys that feel to him that should have been taken earlier on. 

I think the Chargers issue was poor coaching and ownership not wanting to move on from a bad one nor pay a good one. 

Sure, he has hit on some draft picks and while agree that poor coaching played a part in why they couldn't compete some of the blame has to be on TT for not building a well balanced roster.  The Chargers had some sexy names but lacked depth which is a major reason as to why they disappointed and would fall apart every season.  

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

And a rash of injuries.

• Like 1