Jordan Love extended (4 years, $220M, $75M SB, $155M GTD)

I'm good with the deal.  Here's why.

It is exactly where GB wanted to be.

They invested in Love.  They saw him at practice, they saw him run MLF's game plans on Sundays, they saw him succeed, despite having a super young team around him.

Love's growth and trust in MLF led to this contract.

Just be happy that it is done and now we can move on.  This is the ideal situation that GB had in mind when they drafted him.  This was it.  They got better years out of Rodgers, lots of wins, advanced in the postseason, but fell short.  The year they moved on from Rodgers, all they did is make the playoffs and advance in the postseason.

Take the win that we have our QB and let's freakin' GO!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just be happy that it is done and now we can move on.  This is the ideal situation that GB had in mind when they drafted him.  This was it.  They got better years out of Rodgers, lots of wins, advanced in the postseason, but fell short.  The year they moved on from Rodgers, all they did is make the playoffs and advance in the postseason.

Yep, this is where I am at.  The plan worked.  Love was patient while sitting behind Rodgers for his first three years.  When Love stepped into the QB1 spot in year 4, he showed more than enough for GB to commit to him long term.  Love having limited time as QB1 prior to his 2nd contract was always the plan.  Trying to use that against him after how he looked in Nov-Jan would have been equal parts dumb and nuts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Hurts, Lawrence, Tua and Goff all got their money guaranteed for 3 years.

If you look at signing bonus and guaranteed salary, here are the total guarantees. Hurts and Lawrence contracts were a year ago, and we all know the price of poker has gone way up. 

Hurts - 88 million guaranteed

Lawrence - 72 million guaranteed

Goff - 123 million guaranteed

Tua - 118 million guaranteed

Love - 109 million guaranteed 

Allen - 150 million guaranteed and he signed in 2021

Cousins - 90 million guaranteed, coming off an Achilles and being 36 years old. 

Watson - 229 million guaranteed and a cap number of 64 million the next three years. 

Look at the title of this thread

These tables don't factor in option bonuses that become guaranteed. Lawrence for example was $142 at signing and $200m total according to Spotrac

Lawrence signed just signed last month not last year. 

Sportrac and Over The Cap state things differently but the way Lawrence's deal is structured it looks like there is an out with $0 dead cap. And another out the year before for just $7.5m

image.png

I don't fully understand how every part of this works e.g. the cap hits in 2029 and 2030 are not guaranteed. And Spotrac and Over The Cap do differ.

What I do understand is the early structure of this deal where the cap hits are very reasonable and there seems to be an out or more likey are renegotiation after 4 years of the deal. 

I would accept the argument Love is better and should be paid more. The way Love's deal has been structured though is awful from what I can understand. If someone can explain it to me better and I've got the structure wrong in my head, then I take it all back. But at the moment no one is talking structure of deal they are talking about 'we got Love and we got to pay a premium,' which doesn't answer the question is it a good deal or a bad one.  

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

A year ago...

54 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Hah hah..........   That aged well for AS.

It was a bad look for him, but at least he eventually kind of owned up to being wrong. Cowherd would never.

Edited by Arthur Penske

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Love having limited time as QB1 prior to his 2nd contract was always the plan.  Trying to use that against him after how he looked in Nov-Jan would have been equal parts dumb and nuts.

Absolutely. As much as Green Bay did Jordan a favor by not throwing him into the fire and by surrounding him with good coaches and players to learn from and develop, they also asked a competitive athlete to wait his turn. This could not have been easy and Love  was pretty candid in saying how he was disappointed as a competitor when AR signed his extension. He was diplomatic enough to say he was happy for the player, but honest about the fact that he wanted to take the reins.

When everyone agreed he was good enough, they gave him his shot and he ran with it. To not sign him after that would be bad business, bad football and generally a ****ty thing to do to someone. 

Edited by Refugee

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I'm good with the deal.  Here's why.

It is exactly where GB wanted to be.

They invested in Love.  They saw him at practice, they saw him run MLF's game plans on Sundays, they saw him succeed, despite having a super young team around him.

Love's growth and trust in MLF led to this contract.

Take the win that we have our QB and let's freakin' GO!

I'm happy with all of the above too.

My gripe is it a good deal. Not in terms of value but structure. The way that deal is set up is Love has the Packers by the balls now and into the future and is not overly cap-friendly. That to me is concerning and that Gute and Ball screwed this negotiation royally giving the player way too much power.

13 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

It was a bad look for him, but at least he eventually kind of owned up to being wrong. Cowherd would never.

Cowherd has literally owned up to being wrong about Love multiple times...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I'm happy with all of the above too.

My gripe is it a good deal. Not in terms of value but structure. The way that deal is set up is Love has the Packers by the balls now and into the future and is not overly cap-friendly. That to me is concerning and that Gute and Ball screwed this negotiation royally giving the player way too much power.

I think it's relatively cap friendly through 2027. After that it will need to be renegotiated, and if Love is a premier QB, he will be in a very strong position. The reality is premier QB's will be in a real strong bargaining position because there aren't enough to go around. 

41 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

These tables don't factor in option bonuses that become guaranteed. Lawrence for example was $142 at signing and $200m total according to Spotrac

Sportrac and Over The Cap state things differently but the way Lawrence's deal is structured it looks like there is an out with $0 dead cap. And another out the year before for just $7.5m

image.png

I don't fully understand how every part of this works e.g. the cap hits in 2029 and 2030 are not guaranteed. And Spotrac and Over The Cap do differ.

What I do understand is the early structure of this deal where the cap hits are very reasonable and there seems to be an out or more likey are renegotiation after 4 years of the deal. 

I would accept the argument Love is better and should be paid more. The way Love's deal has been structured though is awful from what I can understand. If someone can explain it to me better and I've got the structure wrong in my head, then I take it all back. But at the moment no one is talking structure of deal they are talking about 'we got Love and we got to pay a premium,' which doesn't answer the question is it a good deal or a bad one.  

Jordan Love Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

He's got 71 million in "option" bonuses. My understanding is that is not guaranteed money, though likely to be earned. Love was paid a 75 million dollar signing bonus at time contract was signed. That too has been reported. 

Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus Per Game Roster Bonus Workout Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Signing Option
Total   $85,500,000 $83,788,655 $71,000,000 $2,400,000 $2,000,000   $25,800,000   $237,530,924    
2024 26 $3,500,000 $16,757,731 $0 $0 $0   $3,500,000   $20,257,731 7.6%  
$149,088,655
($128,830,924)
2025 📝 27 $11,900,000 $16,757,731 $0 $600,000 $500,000   $11,900,000   $29,757,731 11.4%  
$128,830,924
($99,073,193)
2026 📝 28 $10,400,000 $16,757,731 $7,900,000 $600,000 $500,000   $10,400,000   $36,157,731 12.7%  
$100,173,193
($64,015,462)
2027 29 $10,400,000 $16,757,731 $14,200,000 $600,000 $500,000   $0   $42,457,731 13.5%  
$65,115,462
($22,657,731)
2028 30 $49,300,000 $16,757,731 $14,200,000 $600,000 $500,000   $0   $74,200,000 --  
$40,457,731
$33,742,269
2029 31 Void $0 $14,200,000 Void Void   Void   $34,700,000 --  
$15,800,000
$18,900,000
2030 32 Void $0 $14,200,000 Void Void   Void   $0 --  
$7,900,000
($7,900,000)
2031 33 Void $0 $6,300,000 Void Void   Void   $0 --  
$0
$0
Edited by Old Guy

33 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

image.png

look at the title of the thread.....

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

If so i stand corrected, I never saw it and don't know if i've ever seen him admit beign wrong lol

One of the reason's I like Cowherd so much is cause he will admit when he's wrong. He even has a segment on his show each day called Where Colin Was Wrong lol

Couple thoughts:

1. 4-year window.  Gonna be rough after that, but hopefully the TV-deal moneys will go up so much that even all the money on the back end isn't that bad.  We've got 4 years:  lets do a lot with the years we've got. 
  2. QB agents control, and do have all the leverage.  Teams want to win, so they want/need QB.  Teams have to pay what the market will bear.  
  3. It's the market.  Love's 4-year cap numbers aren't bad relative to market, and will immediately be surpassed the next good young QB gets a deal.  
  4. Gute is putting his chips on Love, sink-or-swim.  He's got no option, that's the way it works.
  5. The Packer process was patience and internal development.  It's a nice process, but it doesn't allow much window to have the guy produce for cheap, or to see the guy prove it for long before the money goes.  It's the consequence of the multi-year-development process.  
  6. Love seems a classy guy, ideally suited to handle the money.  But yeah, it's tough.  Being rich and famous is hard for most men to bear, without having it change them.  Hopefully the celebrity and pressure and distractions don't change him and distract him too much.  
  7. Not sure how great he'll be.  I think he'll be solid at least, and a solid QB with a good coach, good team, good receivers, good line, good defense can manage a team to a lot of wins.  Not sure how elite Love, his arm, his accuracy, his deep-ball, his clutch-ness will be.  Time will tell.  Hope he's truly elite, a true top-5 QB working within a great team, and it's magic.  But, won't shock me if he's good but not great.  Or only excellent when the line is healthy and protecting well.  
  8. it's the National INjury League.  Hope he stays clean.  
  9. Cap hits will not prevent Packers from keeping a really strong team together for next four years.  Lets win while the winning is there to be had.