Jordan Love extended (4 years, $220M, $75M SB, $155M GTD)

That view of "value ignores that value is relative. Sure his market value had the Packers WANTED to move him could have been a 4th or so like you say, but internally they had a better idea of what he could be and knew he was worth way more to them than. The perceived outside value. If a team had wanted to get Love away from the Packers it would have taken much more than a 4th. That's why a deal was never going to happen.

24 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

No.  The point being is that Love's value was similar to the value of Trey Lance at that moment in time, probably less since Lance is younger and was a higher pick originally.  The Packers were not going to get more than a 4th.  Now, it looks like that was a good move for the Packers.  But that doesn't change the fact that Love had very little value to any trade partner before the middle of last season.  

I think you could make an argument that by virtue of not coming off a season-ending ankle injury that Jordan Love had more value than Trey Lance.  And it's not like Trey Lance with extended opportunities (20+ passing attempts in a game) fared much better in his career than Jordan Love did at that point.

Trey Lance (2 games): 28-57 (49.1 CMP%), 356 passing yards (6.2 YPA), 0 passing TD, 2 INT (3.51 INT%)
Jordan Love (1 game): 19-34 (55.9 CMP%), 190 passing yards (5.6 YPA), 1 passing TD, 1 INT (2.94 INT%)

I'm not saying it would be astronomically better, but I think there's a fair argument that Love had  more value than Trey Lance did.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I think you could make an argument that by virtue of not coming off a season-ending ankle injury that Jordan Love had more value than Trey Lance.  And it's not like Trey Lance with extended opportunities (20+ passing attempts in a game) fared much better in his career than Jordan Love did at that point.

Trey Lance (2 games): 28-57 (49.1 CMP%), 356 passing yards (6.2 YPA), 0 passing TD, 2 INT (3.51 INT%)
Jordan Love (1 game): 19-34 (55.9 CMP%), 190 passing yards (5.6 YPA), 1 passing TD, 1 INT (2.94 INT%)

I'm not saying it would be astronomically better, but I think there's a fair argument that Love had  more value than Trey Lance did.

I am just using Lance as a similar situation, except he was actually traded. 

From the 21 and 22 seasons, Love was 50-83 for 606 yards 3TDs 3INTs.  And not to put too much weight in preseason, because it doesn't count, he didn't exactly take the world by storm in the preseason work he did either.  If you are the Titans, and you don't get to work with him in practice or see how he is doing in the meetings, are you going to give up much more than a 4th? 

I think we see what Love turned into and are adding that into the calculation, when that wasn't part of the evaluation at that time, especially for teams that weren't the Packers and got to work with him every day. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Let’s roll! I don’t think there’s much of a difference between $52 mil and $58 so landing right in the middle is just the cost for a seat at the table.

Let's hope you are never the GM or Capologist then. 6 million a year is over 2% of our cap. There is a huge difference. 

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Looks like they lowered his 2024 base salary to somewhere around $4M.

So his average cap hit from 2025-2028 will be about 50 a year if it were to be spread out equally. 

Aaron Rodgers just gave Jordan Love a shout out for becoming highest paid QB on NFL Network. Pretty cool of Rodgers. He also mentioned he still has a house for sale in Green Bay if Jordan is in the market! LOL

• Like 2

Aaron Rodgers live on NFL Network just now:

”I’d like to give a special shoutout to Jordan Love for becoming the league’s highest paid player. Don’t spend it all in one place. But if you do, I’ve still got a house for sale in GB.”

🤣

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I know we are happy he is under contract but someone convince me this is a good deal?!?!?

A lot guaranteed and not much flexibility is the way I see it

I don't think we have the structure on a year-to-year basis yet. 

It wasn't a good deal if you were hoping for a bargain. He played his way into being the next guy to 'be the highest paid.' It will be flexible enough. 

The upside to allowing quarterbacks to watch and learn for 3 years is your chances of success go up exponentially. The downside is you wind up having to pay them top of the market a lot sooner

34 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

So his average cap hit from 2025-2028 will be about 50 a year if it were to be spread out equally. 

Based on tweet by Tom Pelissero, Jordan Love's cap hit in the final year of his deal will be $60M.  The first 3 years of the deal are probably around $50M but they're probably backloaded to an extent.

43 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Let's hope you are never the GM or Capologist then. 6 million a year is over 2% of our cap. There is a huge difference. 

As long as the cap keeps going up like it has the last few years, the Packers will be fine.