Jordan Love extended (4 years, $220M, $75M SB, $155M GTD)

7 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I know we are happy he is under contract but someone convince me this is a good deal?!?!?

A lot guaranteed and not much flexibility is the way I see it

The alternative was to have Love play out the 2024 season on his current deal and then try to negotiate a contract with a better sense of the continued progression with a Franchise tag as a fall back option.  That is projected to be $42M fully guaranteed for QB in 2025 and would significantly limit GB ability to retain or add FA as you can't get that $42M cap hit lower without doing a longer contract.  If you wait, the chance of getting Love at $55M per year is gone and you are now looking at a high $50'sM per year deal if now pushing over $60M per year.

The structure of the deal will be where the flexibility comes from  being able to move some of the base/roster/option bonus money to future years.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Based on tweet by Tom Pelissero, Jordan Love's cap hit in the final year of his deal will be $60M.  The first 3 years of the deal are probably around $50M but they're probably backloaded to an extent.

If things go as we all hope with him this would be the time for another extension correct? So basically keep it consistent over most of the deal to keep us competitive and rolling and then when we get to some of the back loaded money we can extend and spread it out? I'm not a great cap guy so maybe my thinking is off base. 

Edited by Toddfather

13 minutes ago, squire12 said:

The structure of the deal will be where the flexibility comes from  being able to move some of the base/roster/option bonus money to future years.  

This is where I'm not seeing the flexibility with such a high percentage of the deal fully guaranteed.

This is from PFT

1. Signing bonus: $75 million, with $25 million paid within 10 days, $25 million paid by October 4, 2024, and $25 million paid by December 27, 2024.

2. 2024 base salary: $3.5 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2025 workout bonus: $500,000.

4. 2025 base salary: $11.9 million, fully guaranteed.

5. 2025 per-game roster bonus: $600,000 total.

6. 2026 workout bonus: $500,000.

7. 2026 base salary: $49.9 million, guaranteed for injury at signing; of that amount, $10.4 million is fully guaranteed at signing and $39.5 million becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2025 league year. ($39.5 million will convert to an option bonus in 2026.)

8. 2026 per-game roster bonus: $600,000 total.

9. 2027 workout bonus: $500,000.

10. 2027 base salary: $41.9 million, $20 million of which is guaranteed for injury at signing and becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2026 league year. ($31.5 million will convert to an option bonus in 2027.)

11. 2027 per-game roster bonus: $600,000 total.

12. 2028 workout bonus: $500,000.

13. 2028 base salary: $43.9 million.

14. 2028 per-game roster bonus: $600,000 total.

3 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

If things go as we all hope with him this would be the time for another extension correct? So basically keep it consistent over most of the deal to keep us competitive and rolling and then when we get to some of the back loaded money we can extend and spread it out? I'm not a great cap guy so maybe my thinking is off base. 

Presumably.  But figure at an 8% increase from year to year in the salary cap, a $60M would only account for 17% of the cap.  Right now, there are 16 QBs in the league whose AAV takes up more than 17% of the cap.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

This is where I'm not seeing the flexibility with such a high percentage of the deal fully guaranteed.

This is from PFT

1. Signing bonus: $75 million, with $25 million paid within 10 days, $25 million paid by October 4, 2024, and $25 million paid by December 27, 2024.

2. 2024 base salary: $3.5 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2025 workout bonus: $500,000.

4. 2025 base salary: $11.9 million, fully guaranteed.

that $11.9M base salary can be converted to signing bonus and drop the cap hit down by about $8M.  make it $1.9 base salary and the remaining $10M gets spread out over 5 years if you add void years.  

5. 2025 per-game roster bonus: $600,000 total.

6. 2026 workout bonus: $500,000.

7. 2026 base salary: $49.9 million, guaranteed for injury at signing; of that amount, $10.4 million is fully guaranteed at signing and $39.5 million becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2025 league year. ($39.5 million will convert to an option bonus in 2026.)

Option bonus would be convertible to signing bonus and spread out over 5 years (if void years were added to the deal).  drops the cap hit about $32M

8. 2026 per-game roster bonus: $600,000 total.

9. 2027 workout bonus: $500,000.

10. 2027 base salary: $41.9 million, $20 million of which is guaranteed for injury at signing and becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2026 league year. ($31.5 million will convert to an option bonus in 2027.)

same as 2026.  option bonus of $31.5M could be converted to a signing bonus and spread out over 5 years.  

11. 2027 per-game roster bonus: $600,000 total.

12. 2028 workout bonus: $500,000.

13. 2028 base salary: $43.9 million.

14. 2028 per-game roster bonus: $600,000 total.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Look at the cap hits from year-to-year.  It basically forces Green Bay back to the negating table after the 2028 season, because the Packers aren't going want a $74.2M cap hit unless the salary explodes even more than it already has.  There's some built in savings if needed using the base salary if needed, but that seems like a last resort situation.

6 hours ago, coachbuns said:

And then do what? There's 2/3's of the league at a minimum that would give their left nut to have Love as their QB AND signed for the next 4-5 years. Agree the $$ amounts have escalated big time but it's what the market demands. Hardball is a tough game to play.

Yeah and if we play hardball somebody else won't. 

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

that $11.9M base salary can be converted to signing bonus and drop the cap hit down by about $8M.  make it $1.9 base salary and the remaining $10M gets spread out over 5 years if you add void years.  

Option bonus would be convertible to signing bonus and spread out over 5 years (if void years were added to the deal).  drops the cap hit about $32M

same as 2026.  option bonus of $31.5M could be converted to a signing bonus and spread out over 5 years.  

I got those. I guess I was hoping for a deal similar to Hurts. He got 5 year extension for $255 with around $110 guaranteed. Which I thought would have been a fair deal for Love based on achievement and projection. Also Hurts had basically a 6 year deal. That gave cap hits of 6m, 13m, 21m, 31m, 41m and 47m.

Love's deal has in my mind a very high guarantee and one year less to spread that out that's what I'm unhappy about.

I got those. I guess I was hoping for a deal similar to Hurts. He got 5 year extension for $255 with around $110 guaranteed. Which I thought would have been a fair deal for Love based on achievement and projection. Also Hurts had basically a 6 year deal. That gave cap hits of 6m, 13m, 21m, 31m, 41m and 47m.

Jalen Hurts signed a 5 year , $255,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including $23,294,000 signing bonus, $179,399,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $51,000,000. In 2024, Hurts will earn a base salary of $1,125,000 and a signing bonus of $38,875,000, while carrying a cap hit of $13,558,800 and a dead cap value of $120,871,200.

Love's deal has in my mind a very high guarantee and one year less to spread that out that's what I'm unhappy about.

I am not sure where you are getting the values from.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/_/position/qb/sort/value

Jalen Hurts got $110M guaranteed at signing and Love got $100M guaranteed at signing

14 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Jalen Hurts signed a 5 year , $255,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including $23,294,000 signing bonus, $179,399,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $51,000,000. In 2024, Hurts will earn a base salary of $1,125,000 and a signing bonus of $38,875,000, while carrying a cap hit of $13,558,800 and a dead cap value of $120,871,200.

I am not sure where you are getting the values from.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/_/position/qb/sort/value

Jalen Hurts got $110M guaranteed at signing and Love got $100M guaranteed at signing

I got it from Overthecap. I could be reading it wrong as I'm on a mobile and I'm in the middle of a music festival with crap internet and knackered 

https://overthecap.com/player/jalen-hurts/8793

Edited by Brit Pack

Hard to complain about the structure. Cap hits are pretty low.

2024= $20.8= 8.1% of cap (#14 QB),

2025= $29.8= 10.9%  (#16 QB), (using Spotrac future cap guesses)

2026= $36.2= 12.4% (#14 QB),

2027= $42.5= 13.6% (#9 QB).

should give a decent sized window for SB’s before having to deal w/ the void year stuff. If cap grows more than expected, the percentages will be even smaller. 

But for now, these percentages look analogous to Rodgers’ percentages from  2013-18 (9.4-13.2%). Not as good as the 2009-12 percentages, but still plenty good to be a contender, esp if he gets better injury luck than Rodgers. GB looks on track for something like $49m in cap space after this year. 

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

I know we are happy he is under contract but someone convince me this is a good deal?!?!?

A lot guaranteed and not much flexibility is the way I see it

I view the contract as less about being good and more about being inevitable.  Once Love turned it on down the stretch last season, something in the neighborhood of the Lawrence contract always seemed like where this was headed.  It all comes down to whether Love is who MLF/Gute thinks he is. Every team that hits on a QB goes through the same process, and this is how it usually ends. 

The only real alternative is to jerk your QB around like WAS did with Cousins, and DAL is currently doing with Dak.  I don't think that's the path anyone wanted to take with the Love extension.

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I view the contract as less about being good and more about being inevitable.  Once Love turned it on down the stretch last season, something in the neighborhood of the Lawrence contract always seemed like where this was headed.  It all comes down to whether Love is who MLF/Gute thinks he is. Every team that hits on a QB goes through the same process, and this is how it usually ends. 

The only real alternative is to jerk your QB around like WAS did with Cousins, and DAL is currently doing with Dak.  I don't think that's the path anyone wanted to take with the Love extension.

I kind of agree. But still think that the agents 'won' here.

They played a brilliant game. Got the media hype train on their side this off season making out that Love is the next best QB behind Pat off half a season of play, and that creates the narrative that he should be paid accordingly.

Love then holding in, which was never on the cards gave Love's agents all the leverage and they bent over the Packers.

It is what it is, we had no leverage or choice and I feel we over paid to retain Love. Hopefully the positive trajectory continues but i can't honestly say this was a fair or good deal.

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Aaron Rodgers live on NFL Network just now:

”I’d like to give a special shoutout to Jordan Love for becoming the league’s highest paid player. Don’t spend it all in one place. But if you do, I’ve still got a house for sale in GB.”

🤣

For all the justified criticism Rodgers has got in more recent years over issues like the trade fallout, he really has to be given all the praise ye can for how he treated Love. By pretty much all accounts he seems to have been exemplary from Day 1, in complete contrast to how he was treated by Favre. 

• Like 4

Bent over the Packers lol. This is just the next QB contract. This isn't kirk all guaranteed money or patrick 500m market reset at the time. This is just a standard franchise QB contract very much befitting what Love showed he's capable of being.

• Like 1