Packers extend QB Jordan Love (4 years, $220M, $155M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Contract details on Love are out and it's a similarly nasty cap hit on the back end, $74.2M on the last year of his deal and $34.7M already in void years. Credit Love's agent for setting that up, if he's unhappy all he has to do is not sign a contract extension and that's going to be an irritating situation. The team's gonna have to keep him happy.

Wow! 

IMO this contract is worse than I thought. Obviously they'll find ways around it when the time comes but that's "nasty" as you said. 

Give the agent a raise

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Contract details on Love are out and it's a similarly nasty cap hit on the back end, $74.2M on the last year of his deal and $34.7M already in void years. Credit Love's agent for setting that up, if he's unhappy all he has to do is not sign a contract extension and that's going to be an irritating situation. The team's gonna have to keep him happy.

All big NFL contracts are "3 years and some nonsense at the back end to make the parties start talking again after three years."  

• Like 1

I am really not getting why so many fans still don't seem to understand that these contracts are written to be renegotiated.  GB has Love signed in for the next 4 years at very reasonable cap numbers (20M,30M,36M,42M) and then the contract gets redone.  Reaction from NFL fans... WOW!!  BAD CONTRACT!!  Unreal.

5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You think Patrick Mahomes is gonna play the next 3 seasons with a $60M+ cap hit?  No, the deal will be restructured.  Just like Mahomes, there's 0% chance that Love plays on that $74.2M cap hit.  As currently constructed, the Packers would save $59M by releasing Jordan Love in 2028.  But that's assuming that they don't restructure his contract before then which seems unlikely.  Even if they use those option bonuses as is, they still save over $33M.

On 7/27/2024 at 10:56 AM, CWood21 said:

Let's go with that assumption.  How many of those guys had that kind of production in their first year as a starting QB?  

That's a pretty narrow focus and excludes almost all QBs. With a brief look and some names excluded/included by others, I have it as Mahomes, Wilson, Love, Foles, Cousins and Freeman meeting that criteria in the last 15 years. 

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You think Patrick Mahomes is gonna play the next 3 seasons with a $60M+ cap hit?  No, the deal will be restructured. 

Deshaun is playing with a 60M cap hit this year and the Broncos are eating a lot of Russ this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Deshaun is playing with a 60M cap hit this year and the Broncos are eating a lot of Russ this year.

Cleveland currently has $29.7M in cap space according to OTC.  Kansas City is a projected $14M under the cap next year.  It's pretty easy to swallow that $60M cap hit when you've got extra cap space to spend.

10 minutes ago, Jameson_Neat said:

That's a pretty narrow focus and excludes almost all QBs. With a brief look and some names excluded/included by others, I have it as Mahomes, Wilson, Love, Foles, Cousins and Freeman meeting that criteria in the last 15 years. 

So you've got arguably the best QB of this generation, another guy who was arguably a top 5 QB at one point, and another guy who has been a top 10 QB.  Foles was an obvious flash in the pan, and I'm not sure who Freeman that you're referring to. 

Just now, CWood21 said:

So you've got arguably the best QB of this generation, another guy who was arguably a top 5 QB at one point, and another guy who has been a top 10 QB.  Foles was an obvious flash in the pan, and I'm not sure who Freeman that you're referring to. 

Josh Freeman

27 minutes ago, Jameson_Neat said:

Josh Freeman

And I'd argue that Josh Freeman is the "downside" of Love.  And Freeman had bigger red flags.  Freeman's career CMP% was 57.6%.  Jordan Love is coming off a 64% CMP% this year.

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And I'd argue that Josh Freeman is the "downside" of Love.  And Freeman had bigger red flags.  Freeman's career CMP% was 57.6%.  Jordan Love is coming off a 64% CMP% this year.

I completely forgot Dak, so he's in there as well.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

As currently constructed, the Packers would save $59M by releasing Jordan Love in 2028. 

Pretty sure his void years would toll on 2028, in that case. Meaning $55M (in void) + the $15M in dead cap, good for a $70M hit in 2028. 

Either that, or I have it wrong and the void years would just remain as they are and toll in the corresponding years. So that’s still paying $55M+ over the next three years for a guy who isn’t on your team.

EDIT: And Love’s got rolling guarantees that toll in future years.