How Are Those Rookies Doing?

Chiefer

33 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Worthy looks to be getting more snaps in the regular season than Rice did last year. Speed starting to show up more and more

Kingsley looks like a NFL starting Left Tackle, thank god. Freakyish athlete for his size 

Jared Wiley seems to have TE 3 locked down, doesn’t seem to have met all the offseason hype, but TE usually takes a year. 

Jaden Hicks looks like a heat seeking missile 

Boooooooooooooo.

• Like 1

vearse, fiske and corum were so good in camp, they didn't even had to play. kinchens only played a handful snaps in game 1.
so the first four picks look already like hits. this is even for mcvay a bold move and shows how much he likes what he sees.

the rams are the only team with two guys in the pff top ten rated players (among day 3 picks) - beaux limmer and of course whittington.
plus tyler davis put on a show in game 1, so of course he only played a dozen or so snaps in game 2, but not at dt instead they tried him at de.

and this year the rams might even hit a couple of udfas. omar speights is super high rated by pff and looks pretty great in preseason.
and sean mcvay seems to be in love with jaylen mccollough. he can't stop raving about him. i never saw mcvay rave about a rookie like that.

The 49ers' 2024 draft class is two preseason games in:

WR Ricky Pearsall, Florida

Has been hurt three times now since OTAs and is currently still dealing with a shoulder injury. Should hopefully be cleared this week, but due to missed time, he will probably start the year potentially inactive if Aiyuk is back.

CB Renardo Green FSU

Started playing nickel corner, but due to injuries to Isaac Yiadom, has been moved to playing outside and getting quality reps. Hasn't been perfect but has shown massive potential. It wouldn't shock me if he ends up being our outside corner when we are on a nickel base, shifting Lenoir over to nickel.

G Dominick Puni Kansas

Has been our most impressive rookie. With Trent Williams holding out, Puni has already shown himself to be the best pass-blocking lineman. Due to injuries to Burford and Feleciano, he has been able to handle all the first-team reps all camp. He should be a lock to start at right guard from day one and likely ends up being the best interior offensive lineman on the team (which isn't saying much).

S Malik Mustapha, Wake Forest

Mustapha has been a rock-solid safety who has been bringing the heat. He hasnt been perfect but has shown he has coverage skills. I think he starts the year as the third safety who will be used in different roles on defense, being able to move around similarly to how the 49ers used Hufanga his rookie season.

RB Isaac Guerendo, Louisville

Hurt his hamstring significantly at the first practice of training camp and hasn't been seen since. He might be cleared to practice this week, but due to his raw RB background, it's hard to see him having any role this year. His best opportunity for playing time is as a kick returner, where his speed could be an asset. We'll see what happens, but he might also start the year on IR.

WR Jacob Cowing, Arizona

Hurt his hamstring earlier in camp and returned two weeks ago. Has been impressive daily in practice. Played finally vs the Saints and you can see the playmaking speed that everyone compared him to Tank Dell. To me he will have a bigger impact on offense over Pearsall. Also should end up with the PR role which will make him active on game days.

OL Jarrett Kingston, USC

Kingston has been the biggest surprise. He has played OT and G and has looked good in the preseason and very solid in camp. I believe he's a lock to make the 53 and should potentially compete for the LG spot next year when Aaron Banks walks in free agency.

LB Tatum Bethune, FSU

Bethune has been really good against the run but has had coverage issues in camp and in games. I think it'll be tough for him to make the 53, as the 49ers have good depth at the LB position even with Greenlaw injured. I don't believe he ends up making it to the practice squad and ends up being claimed. He's good enough to be on somebody's 53.

HM UDFU Cody Schrader Missouri

In the OTA report, it said he had surpassed Guerendo on the RB depth chart. But in two preseason games, he hasn't really shown anything. He hasn't been bad, but he doesn't live up to the hype that fans were pushing. I think he is a PS candidate.

Overall, so far, the draft looks solid and better than we have seen in the past few years. But we need Pearsall to stay healthy.

Edited by 49erurtaza

3 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Hopefully, the Giants are so loaded on Defense that they cut this undrafted rookie. 😊 

This kid is the reason we were able to trade Jordan Phillips away. He's making the roster.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

he's "just" a kicker, but Will Reichert for the Vikings is:

31-33 during team drills in training camp (two missed at the same practice at 50 yards each)

There's no way we are having this as an actual meaningful stat 🤣 Come on ...

Bo Nix has had enough (well, too much) air time so no point adding anything on him. Jonah Elliss is probably the better name to discuss from the Broncos rookie class.

There are definitely EDGE snaps to be had in the Broncos rotation, so I suspect Elliss will get his chance from week 1.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

vearse, fiske and corum were so good in camp, they didn't even had to play. kinchens only played a handful snaps in game 1.
so the first four picks look already like hits. this is even for mcvay a bold move and shows how much he likes what he sees.

the rams are the only team with two guys in the pff top ten rated players (among day 3 picks) - beaux limmer and of course whittington.
plus tyler davis put on a show in game 1, so of course he only played a dozen or so snaps in game 2, but not at dt instead they tried him at de.

and this year the rams might even hit a couple of udfas. omar speights is super high rated by pff and looks pretty great in preseason.
and sean mcvay seems to be in love with jaylen mccollough. he can't stop raving about him. i never saw mcvay rave about a rookie like that.

Superbowl baby!