AP names Gardner Minshew starting QB

NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Official according to Hondo

Yep just watched the press conference. I wonder what Devante's take is on all of this due to the fact that he talked about Aiden the entire off-season and training camp and didn't even really mention Gardner Minshew like that.

Edited by Jeremy408

In fairness, that pick 6 by AOC was UGLY. And Minshew had his worst game yesterday and still didn't turn it over.

I think Minshew does have a significantly better pocket awareness/mobility factor. He should get his shot to start. Neither will be starting a year from now regardless.

• Like 4

I know I'm gonna get a lot of crap for this, but I can see a scenario where he surprises a lot of people similar to what Baker Mayfield did on the Buccaneers last year. Where I get that from is

1. We're in division where the only team that's guaranteed to go to the playoffs last year was the Chiefs division isn't super stacked.

2. Also, I think one thing is this is probably the most stacked team(especially on offense) he's ever played for as a starter since he's been in the NFL.

3. I think overall he's gonna be protected by having a good defense and I think we will run the ball well as well. 

All this being said, I think the idea to start him is basically saying we're gonna go all in on quarterback next year where, as Aiden would've meant that they're trying to see if he can be the future of the franchise.

• Like 1

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

In fairness, that pick 6 by AOC was UGLY. And Minshew had his worst game yesterday and still didn't turn it over.

I think Minshew does have a significantly better pocket awareness/mobility factor. He should get his shot to start. Neither will be starting a year from now regardless.

Right this is really what I was mentioning earlier in the other thread. in a lot of ways the way the team is constructed is that your quarterback really just needs to play keep away and move the chains which is completely possible with the type of weapons we have. The problem is, is that pick sixes like that are practically defense proof because it's essentially the quarterback scoring points for the other team. 

• Like 1

feels like last year. Both QBs didn't have great camps. AOC needed a great camp and ball out in preseason. That didn't happen so Pierce leaning on the vet who is getting paid. I feel Minshew will get a fair shot like Jimmy G, but I can see AOC come in towards the middle of the year. 

4 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Right this is really what I was mentioning earlier in the other thread. in a lot of ways the way the team is constructed is that your quarterback really just needs to play keep away and move the chains which is completely possible with the type of weapons we have. The problem is, is that pick sixes like that are practically defense proof because it's essentially the quarterback scoring points for the other team. 

I think if Minshew plays bad, AOC could be a good guy to get some playing time. That being said, with Bowers and Adams on the field, I expect Minshew to move the ball well and get the ball out on time. Especially if Miller/JPJ come back and play well.

I also expect him to scramble and pick up 1-2 first downs per game with his feet.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

feels like last year. Both QBs didn't have great camps. AOC needed a great camp and ball out in preseason. That didn't happen so Pierce leaning on the vet who is getting paid. I feel Minshew will get a fair shot like Jimmy G, but I can see AOC come in towards the middle of the year. 

7 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think if Minshew plays bad, AOC could be a good guy to get some playing time. That being said, with Bowers and Adams on the field, I expect Minshew to move the ball well and get the ball out on time. Especially if Miller/JPJ come back and play well.

I also expect him to scramble and pick up 1-2 first downs per game with his feet.

The way I see it is it appears that Pierce(who if the Raiders have a talk to him draft pick year may just get fired outright) is basically betting on the fact that this is really Minshew's last chance to change the narrative on himself and so theoretically you would probably get the most out of Minshew in this scenario rather than you would AOC(who is only in his second year)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

It seems like Pierce had his mind made up before last night or the pick 6 was the decider. Either way, I think this is the wrong decision.

I agree don’t really get this decision other than Minshew being more mobile. 

Just now, Dessie said:

I agree don’t really get this decision other than Minshew being more mobile. 

I think Pierce puts a lot of stock in the Minshew's moxiness, and he could have read the team being more responsive to Minshew's personality. That said, there wasn't much worse Minshew could have played last night.

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

I think Pierce puts a lot of stock in the Minshew's moxiness, and he could have read the team being more responsive to Minshew's personality. That said, there wasn't much worse Minshew could have played last night.

I mean he didn’t turn it over. Granted that one throw to Mayer was risky but AOC threw a pretty inexcusable pick 6