Week 1: VIKINGS (0-0) at Giants (0-0)

swede700

Just finished the first half and a couple of observations:

AVG was a one man wrecking crew

Mundt had a rough game blocking and receiving.

Turner’s sack was nice, but Ward made it happen.

whatever they did protection wise after the first two drives kept Darnold really clean in the pocket. He looked comfortable post snap, and I think the pre snap stuff will get better over time.

Aaron Jones is a stud. I think if Ty Chandler would’ve followed Darrisaw rather than bouncing it outside after Mundt missed his block on the drive that ended in the Jefferson TD, he might’ve gotten in.

• Like 3

Tillery and PJ II have some juice, too! It looks like Jones is more flexible or agile this year. His spin move to get away from Thomas for the second sack was not something I’ve seen him do that well before.

Big game from Phillips, and Harrison Smith looked like vintage Hitman - playing all over, disguising blitz and then dropping deep, cleaning up the back end.

this defense is going to surprise people, I think.

Big test next week - I think interior pressure is the best way to stick with SF. If they have a weakness, it’s the IOL.

• Like 5

I was really pleased with that Vikings performance. Nice to know that the Vikings defense broke the tie of passing TD's to his team and opposition for Daniel Jones. Used to be tied at two a piece. Darnold looked good as well. I'll be curious to see how bad the Giants actually are, because it could be really bad. For the Vikings, I think it showed a blueprint of how to win, stop the other teams offense being very key to it. But also distribute the ball and keep Darnold from having to make all the major plays.

• Like 2

I can't really add much to what has been said thus far (I watched the replay last night)...but, how nice was it not to actually have to sweat the final 5 minutes of the game and be winning.  It seems like it's been 4 yrs since that last happened.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Impressive what Jones did in limited time. 

Was Pace seeing less time because of 3 safety looks again?

Maybe...but maybe he also got less time because of the personal foul penalty...😂

• Like 2

About as complete of a game as I can remember in a long time (my memory sucks though). 

Great to see the offense click and settle in after an ugly opening drive.

Defense did what they needed to do against what appears to be a pretty inept offense. Faced a little adversity with the early turnover by the offense but held them to a FG. Excited to watch them grow as the season goes on.

Very relaxing to have a game in hand heading into the 4th, getting greedy but it would've been nice to have a scoring drive in the 4th to really sew things up.

Looks like the only two things we lost were 3rd down conversions (3/10 vs 7/18) and time-of-possession (27:34 vs 32:26). We'll need to be better on 3rd downs moving forward.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Very relaxing to have a game in hand heading into the 4th, getting greedy but it would've been nice to have a scoring drive in the 4th to really sew things up.

yeah, breaking 30 points would have been cool.

• Like 1

Just now, JDBrocks said:

The Justin Jefferson effect on full display for the Nailor TD.

exactly. he cleared out that whole sideline side of the field by staying back behind the LOS and even putting his arms up, saying "I'm open, I'm open..."