Jeff Fisher - "I left the Rams in pretty good shape"

RamRod

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/12/22/former-rams-coach-jeff-fisher-says-he-left-team-in-pretty-good-shape/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

While Fisher is right that he's responsible for a lot of the players on the team him trying to get some credit from this team's success is ridiculous. If anything it just speaks more to him being a terrible coach for having a lot of talent and not being able to get the most out of it.

Another dumb thing he said is about how people talk about him being tied for most losses but nobody says he's almost top 10 in wins. When you coach a long time like he has you're gonna have a pretty good amount of wins. Isn't his overall win percentage just barely over .500?

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2017/12/21/if-titans-give-rams-offense-too-many-shots-theyve-got-some-problems/973841001/

Dave McGinnis, former assistant and now color commentator for the Titans now, had something similar to say.

"First of all, Jeff Fisher and I, we built this roster, you know what I’m saying?"

Thoughts on their comments?

1skgy2.jpg

There was some decent talent on the roster but as somebody said in another thread. McVay and Phillips have replaced 10 of 22 starters. You don't have that happen to your team Fisher then get to say you did a good job. You failed in a lot of ways, yes there is some talent on the roster, but time after time we saw draft picks not coached up to succeed and fail. That's on you and the coaching staff you hired. You had total control and in 5 years you managed 31 wins and never had a winning season.

1 hour ago, Boboso20 said:

That RGiii trade could have set us up for 10 years and it didn’t. We got Brock, Tree and JJ to show for it. Everyone else was a bust 

Eh, I think that ignores the ripples of the trade. But regardless, Fisher is trying to get another job that he doesn't deserve.

Ill give Fisher credit for turning a depleted roster into a very talented roster. Snead/McVay put the finishing touches on it and developed it but Fisher did build up this roster with talent.

Lets not forget who drafted Zeurlein, Hekker, and Cooper (all pro bowlers on special teams). Lets not forget who drafted Donald. Fisher and company tried to trade back into that same draft to take OG Zach Martin but he didnt get past the Cowboys. I remember reports were the Rams were contacting the Ravens at I think 15. Can you imagine Martin on that oline? Wow! We all know Fisher took Gurley (which I loved), Goff (missing piece), and I even predicted the Rams drafting Brockers (we needed a big guy in the trenches to help stop the run). Not to mention the drafting of guys like Jenkins (who was and still is very good) and Tru Johnson along with Olgetree, Joyner, Brown, Tavon, Havenstein, Higbee, and traded for Barron. So yes Fisher deserves tons of credit for building this roster.

The crazy thing is that he can state all of this but yet its a knock on him as a coach. McVay took this same roster and sprinkled a few more pieces and turned it into a  Superbowl contender in his first season. Fisher couldnt do it in five seasons. That just shows to you that Fisher dont deserve to be a coach EVER. Now he can be a player of personnel guy. He needs to stay far away from coaching as possible.

Les Snead left this team in pretty good shape imo. Fisher gave him an idea of what he wanted his roster to look like and Snead fulfilled his end of the deal in spades, wheeling and dealing his way to an extremely talented, young roster. Fisher never delivered. McVay did.

I respect that Fisher still feels a connection with these players and I have no reason to dislike him as a person, but he made a number of arrogant, lazy decisions with the offensive side of his coaching staff that ensured this team would never go anywhere. I ended up watching All or Nothing once the sting of last season had lessened and it was clear from the very first moment McVay had everything Fisher lacked both as a humble football savant and a charismatic, energetic leader of men.

We hit a home run that teams around the entire NFL will be trying to copy for years to come. They won't. McVay is one of a kind.

I listened to this whole interview. Sadly, i think this is what will prevent him from being a good coach and you can see the difference between someone like him and Mcvay. He has zero accountability. Its sad because hes holding himself back. Gotta drop the ego.

11 hours ago, S-jax39 said:

I listened to this whole interview. Sadly, i think this is what will prevent him from being a good coach and you can see the difference between someone like him and Mcvay. He has zero accountability. Its sad because hes holding himself back. Gotta drop the ego.

He could at least admit that he failed to improve the offense in 5 years...but no he prefers to point at how good he was to build that roster....

He was watching the game at the stadium tonight, hope he learned something...

Why does a man such a history of being a mediocre coach  have such a big ego?? He did nothing to improve this team offensively. We were so one dimensional and predictable. It was really painful at times to watch this team play. He had 6 season of being over .500 in his career. I hope he never gets another opportunity to ruin an NFL team again. 

Good riddance! So happy to have McVay and Company making decisions now.

3 hours ago, Car_Ramrod said:

Why does a man such a history of being a mediocre coach  have such a big ego?? He did nothing to improve this team offensively. We were so one dimensional and predictable. It was really painful at times to watch this team play. He had 6 season of being over .500 in his career. I hope he never gets another opportunity to ruin an NFL team again. 

Good riddance! So happy to have McVay and Company making decisions now.

Who knows. He made Gurley, who looks like an MVP a year later, look like a bum last year.

Archived