Week 1 GDT: Broncos @ Seattle

broncosfan_101

Call me crazy; I certainly won’t blame you. Historically I’ve never been the blind optimist. But there’s just something in my gut that tells me Bo Nix is gonna come out and kick their ***. Payton will design the perfect game plan to maximize Bo’s strengths while protecting his weaknesses, and Nix execute that game plan soundly. He makes fast reads, isn’t afraid to attack the middle of the field, and Seattle's defense is nothing close to what it once was. I think he catches the Seahawks by surprise and goes for 280, 2-3 touchdowns and another 30 yards on the ground.

Broncos 27        Seahawks 18

• Like 1

Here's a bit of interesting pre game trivia. The DC for Seattle is Aden Durde, born in London and got his start as the DC for the London Warriors 2011-2016.

Edited by AKRNA

Well, at  least we’re finally started. Game #1 of Seans rebuild. Should be interesting.

Everybodys talking about the Bo Nix debut but at the end of the day I think the outcome of the Luke Wattenberg debut will be as/if not more important. If we can’t control the A gaps Bo’s in for a tough outing.

Seattle’s new HC, spent the last 9 years on Baltimore’s defensive staff, the last 2  as DC where he had the #1 and 3 rated defenses.  The year before he took over they were rated #19 so he must be doing something right.  Lots of talent in their front 4 with Byron Murphy, the DT from Texas as their top pick this year. Leonard Williams, Dre Jones, and others  join the mix.

I’d expect their defensive game plan to be pretty simple, same as facing any rookie  QB. Get in his face, show him new looks, hit him early and often.  If I were DC I’d put Murphy on one shoulder or the other of Wattenberg the entire game and turn him loose.  If Luke can’t contain him we’re on to plan B in the 1st quarter.

Seriously, on offense I’m just not expecting much. We’ve lost Jeudy, Cush and Bailey who’s played about 10% of our snaps the last 2 years.  Add in a rookie QB who has yet to see an NFL starter on the field and……….? Seans got his work cut out for him. A good offensive showing by us would be huge!

Defensively I think we’ll see some significant gains. Not so much from VJ, but we did improve our personnel on that side of the ball quite a bit. Depth at OLB and the DL could make for a pretty nasty front 7 rotation.

Anyway, I can’t ever remember having learned so little about a team from preseason as this year. Outside of the 1st quarter against the Colts we haven’t faced one NFL starter. Bo’s great GB performance was with our #1’s versus GB minus their best 31 players. I love Bo as our QBOTF, really fun to watch, accurate and a quick release. Good pocket feel and presence. I’m just not sure he should be our QBOTPresent. Oh well, we’ll find out Sunday.  I’m just relieved to finally be able to watch the entire team against solid competition.

7 hours ago, AKRNA said:

If Burton is playing, wonder if we'll see Krull inactive (Burton plays the FB, but more how do the active players deploy).

Lil' Jordan being active is the least surprising news ever - likelihood of Franklin being inactive go up a ton now. 

6 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Javonte brought down by a DB 1v1 in space on 1st down, slips on cutback 2nd down, then runs the wrong way on 3rd down on play action. Not ideal.

Yeah I thinking Sean should have thrown on 2nd down there. Oh well. Defense looks good, beautiful coverage by PS2 on Metcalf.

2 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Really like what I've seen from the DL so far. Line of scrimmage going backwards, and early.

We added some solid talent there this year. Also, a pretty good coaching upgrade on the DL.