Broncos extend CB Pat Surtain (4 / 96, 77.5 gtd)

Forge

48 minutes ago, Soko said:

Do you have a source that I (and others) can benefit from here? Not trying to be snippy here, but if you’re gonna tell me to check the pressures as if Chicago has this astronomical lead, I check from one source, and then you tell me that source is no good - you should share.

I was agreeing with you about PFR… also it appears the Bears played the most zone coverage last year that I can find? Broncos were 14th most if these numbers are accurate 

6 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Doesn't make sense to me that WR are making 30M a year but the guys asked to cover them aren't getting the same. The demand for good corners far exceeds the supply.

Yup basically this. It's also the reason this deal is so great cause even if he's top10 corner (I think he's better than that), it's not something that can be replicated on a team without paying this amount or getting lucky in the draft. Surtain has completely shut out many WRs that are in the top10 so if anything, that validates your point.

Funny that people on here are saying it's a bad move for the Broncos while at the same time likely predicting the Broncos to have a bad season. It can't be both...either there's too much talent to pay this type of money to someone or there's a lack of talent which opens up money for a team to keep one of their few good players.

57 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I was agreeing with you about PFR… also it appears the Bears played the most zone coverage last year that I can find? Broncos were 14th most if these numbers are accurate 

Real talk though, do you have a source for pressures lol. I usually prefer PFF’s,  but I don’t have a subscription so I can only scavenge what other people share. PFR’s always seem way off.

Bears did play a ton of zone last year. Not trying to pound the table for Johnson, dude had a great season but it was a total outlier. Just saying that having a bad pass rush doesn’t eliminate a CB from having a strong season.

I’m a huge Ps2 and think hes the best corner in the NFL. I’ve had this debate with soko. But for riding the short the bus he cooked you guys habachi style. He favors Snead and we debated because of his huge penalties, flags accepted and not accepted was huge.

chiefs are allowed to get away with murder. Patrick has everything you want. Speed, size, strength and above all he’s a legacy kid. 

He’s special, but he does need to be better. A lot of his hype comes from high end NFL WRs talking about him causing them mismatches. But it’s the little ones that cook him but it goes unnoticed. 

Soko KBBQ that as. 

3 hours ago, Soko said:

Real talk though, do you have a source for pressures lol. I usually prefer PFF’s,  but I don’t have a subscription so I can only scavenge what other people share. PFR’s always seem way off.

Bears did play a ton of zone last year. Not trying to pound the table for Johnson, dude had a great season but it was a total outlier. Just saying that having a bad pass rush doesn’t eliminate a CB from having a strong season.

Curios. Do you have Akhello Witherspoon numbers? I thought he played unreal. It’s crazy he’s unsigned. He played so good we didn’t miss Ramsey! (Game tape). 

1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

Curios. Do you have Akhello Witherspoon numbers? I thought he played unreal. It’s crazy he’s unsigned. He played so good we didn’t miss Ramsey! (Game tape). 

PFR has him at 106 targets, 51 completions allowed for 48.1% completion percentage allowed, which is really really good. 753 yards off those 51 targets (14.8 avg), semi-high but not a huge deal. 5 TDs allowed, 75.7 rating. Strong season for sure, at least statically. 

1 hour ago, Soko said:

PFR has him at 106 targets, 51 completions allowed for 48.1% completion percentage allowed, which is really really good. 753 yards off those 51 targets (14.8 avg), semi-high but not a huge deal. 5 TDs allowed, 75.7 rating. Strong season for sure, at least statically. 

It didn’t feel like that at all. I expected him to be much lower. Those numbers are kinda bad. 

12 hours ago, Soko said:

Passer rating allowed above 80 the last two years, 88+ last year. 58% and 59% completion allowed, which is solid, but not elite. Off of 91 targets too. 4 TDs allowed in 2022, 3 in 2023 - again, good but not great. Not the end of the world, but he doesn’t force a ton of turnovers either. PFF gives him a strong 2022, and average 2023.

So yeah, not really a top 2/3 CB resume. 

who was his pass rush the last two years for context though

covering a bit longer than his peers I'd assume

• Like 1

23 hours ago, El Ramster said:

I’m a huge Ps2 and think hes the best corner in the NFL. I’ve had this debate with soko. But for riding the short the bus he cooked you guys habachi style. He favors Snead and we debated because of his huge penalties, flags accepted and not accepted was huge.

chiefs are allowed to get away with murder. Patrick has everything you want. Speed, size, strength and above all he’s a legacy kid. 

He’s special, but he does need to be better. A lot of his hype comes from high end NFL WRs talking about him causing them mismatches. But it’s the little ones that cook him but it goes unnoticed. 

Soko KBBQ that as. 

Davante Adams and Co saying he's the best weighs more than the most flawed NFL stat in existence that doesn't account for type of coverage or responsibility. Only corner I take over PS2 is Sauce and it ain't even close. If you only get 1 pick a season without allowing more than 2 TDs while shutting down your portion of the field or the man you cover, it weighs more than the Diggs mold of getting 10 picks while allowing 30 touchdowns. 

The problem with using players’ opinions is that…they’re often bad. Tyreek has Tua and Baker as top 5 QBs, where even if you want to give him the Marshall/Cutler pass, there’s zero argument whatsoever for Baker. His top 5 WRs also featured Mike Evans and Keenan Allen, who are awesome, but…not in anyone’s top 5 (Jefferson, Chase, Adams weren’t in it). Lamb has Xavien Howard as a top 5 CB. Two NFL executives left Mahomes off their “top 3 QBs to build a franchise” list. Micah Parsons had Kyler Murray as a top 6 QB. Stroud has Hurts 5th, above Josh Allen and Joe Burrow. Like, every year, there’s a plethora of horrific takes from NFL players. It’s kinda hard to piece through the wisdom from the warts. 

• Like 1