The Week 2 College Football Thread: ACC down bad.

MikeT14

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

His bad timeout management in the last 2 minutes was overshadowed by that absurd spot, but he cost ND massively in this game.

The nuances of those decisions that never come into play in your day to day are hard to replicate without some sort of in game experience. You go from a booth and headset away from your team and then you have 2 sides of the ball of your staff in your ear, you have to still coach defense but think offense, you’re thinking situations and possessions, and next thing you know you’re completely mismanaging the finer points of the game.

• Like 1

I would have been more inclined to believe Notre Dame's #7 ranking in the preseason polls if Meyer was the HC and not Freeman. Turns out I was right, and I don't like that I was right.

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Why is Matt Campbell still piddling around at Iowa St again?

Just made a comment to someone today. Dude missed his opportunity to already leave and get fired by a Wisconsin or Carolina Panthers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The nuances of those decisions that never come into play in your day to day are hard to replicate without some sort of in game experience. You go from a booth and headset away from your team and then you have 2 sides of the ball of your staff in your ear, you have to still coach defense but think offense, you’re thinking situations and possessions, and next thing you know you’re completely mismanaging the finer points of the game.

100%, but it can't happen when the stakes are that high. That's what spring games are for.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

100%, but it can't happen when the stakes are that high. That's what spring games are for.

Oh I agree completely. And that’s what I guess I’m saying about why I’m so completely reluctant to hire a coordinator with zero HC experience as a HC of an alleged “blue chip program” or at least one with those expectations.

The reality is, it was absolutely a panic hire. They didn’t want to lose him as a DC, which they were going to do either at OSU or Wisconsin with Fickell, so they had no choice but to give him the Michael Scott promotion to HC.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This is a great question. If he's just hanging around bc Day gets fired for whatever reason, I'll welcome him at OSU. He's an amazing coach

Yeah I just don't get it other than he's bent on being a Iowa St lifer. 

His name always comes up for college and NFL openings, and it's been that way for a few years now. 

• Like 1