Week 2: VIKINGS (1-0) vs. 49ers (1-0)

swede700

Nick Wagoner @nwagoner

49ers OL posted a sparkling 96.1% pass block win rate on Monday night, 3rd best in the NFL in Week 1.

Trent Williams, Aaron Banks, Spencer Burford with perfect 100% marks.
Dominick Puni at 95.7%
Jake Brendel at 95.8%
and Colton McKivitz at 91.7%.

21 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Nick Wagoner @nwagoner

49ers OL posted a sparkling 96.1% pass block win rate on Monday night, 3rd best in the NFL in Week 1.

Trent Williams, Aaron Banks, Spencer Burford with perfect 100% marks.
Dominick Puni at 95.7%
Jake Brendel at 95.8%
and Colton McKivitz at 91.7%.

Is that good?

@JIllg:

"I do think the VIkings superb tackle tandem is going to be really good for Sam Darnold, although I expect his limitations against pressure to show at some point against better competition. Maybe not us yet, lol. But someone. Darrisaw and O'Neill are both former draft crushes of mine and they basically ate up our four man pass rushes last year."

Running back Christian McCaffrey’s injury situation has drawn the most attention, but he’s not the only 49ers dealing with issues on that front this week.

Wide receiver Jauan Jennings left Monday night’s win over the Jets to have his ankle looked at after getting hurt on a tackle by Jets cornerback Michael Carter. It looked like the kind of hip-drop tackle that the NFL outlawed this offseason, although Carter was not penalized.

On Tuesday, 49ers head coach called Jennings and guard Aaron Banks, who suffered a calf injury, day-to-day as the team turns toward their Week Two game against the Vikings.

Shanahan also said that safety Talanoa Hufanga could play after sitting out Monday night as he returns from a torn ACL.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jauan-jennings-day-to-day-talanoa-hufanga-has-a-chance-to-play-this-week

The NY game felt like it had a lot of motion calls. I wonder if KOC keeps up the motion in this game because I do believe it helps the offense. 1st year at the beginning of the year he had a lot of motion in his play calls and then it died down. Last year KOC offense continued to not use it as much.    

Grant Cohn @grantcohn

Kyle Shanahan says Christian McCaffrey has Achilles tendinitis.

Does Achilles tendonitis go away?

Achilles Tendonitis - Symptoms and Causes | Penn Medicine

It is important to remember that it may take at least two to three months for the pain of Achilles tendonitis to go away. If your pain does not improve, you may need surgery to remove inflamed tissue and abnormal areas of the tendon. If there is a bone spur irritating the tendon, surgery can be used to remove the spur.

San Francisco 32-19 over N.Y. Jets 

Jets - D

It looks like it's going to take more than one game for Aaron Rodgers to knock the rust off. Although the four-time MVP did make some spectacular throws, those were few and far between on a night where the Jets offense mostly sputtered. Through the first three quarters, the Jets only had two drives where they gained more than 17 yards. As bad as the offense was, the defense was worse. With Christian McCaffrey out, the Jets appeared to catch a break. Instead, they had their back broken by McCaffrey's backup, Jordan Mason. The Jets had one of the best defenses in the NFL in 2023, but that defense was nowhere to be found Monday night. It's hard to tell where this team is headed, and now, they have to get things fixed on a short week. 

49ers - A

The 49ers didn't have Christian McCaffrey, but that didn't seem to slow down their offense. With McCaffrey out due to his lingering calf injury, Jordan Mason came in and put on a show. The backup running back went off for 147 yards and a touchdown on 28 carries on a night where the Jets defense had no idea how to slow him down. The 49ers also got Deebo Samuel heavily involved in the offensive game plan. The dual-threat star had 13 touches for 77 yards and a touchdown. The 49ers defense was just as impressive as the offense, and if Monday night was any indication, this looks like a team ready to get back to the Super Bowl for the second straight year. Even Jake Moody was on fire: The kicker tied the franchise record with six field goals. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-1-grades-49ers-earn-a-for-blowout-win-over-jets-bengals-browns-both-receive-f-for-ugly-losses

As long as Deebo can play, the loss of McCaffrey shouldn't matter too much for SF.

They need that double threat, but I feel we have much more speed in the front 7 now than we had last year, so we should match up better in the box.

However, It feels like we lack speed in the secondary, which is why Aiyuk worries me most. 

I doubt that Addison will play.  I hope Nailor will play really well, otherwiuse Jefferson will be doubled and tripled all game.  Having the #2 WR and #1 TE out is really bad.  But Oliver could be used more.  I'd rather see both Nailor and Tristen Jackson in, than lots of short throws to Mundt.