WK2 GDT: PIT @ DEN

Broncofan

4 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

There was that free play on the PIT offside where he had Sutton down the middle of the field and he bounced it. And the throw rolling to the sideline where Adkins maaaaybe could’ve brought it in but it was a poor throw being such a short one. 

I liked his pocket presence and his accuracy coming out of college, and thought his physical traits were limiting. The physical traits have been a pleasant surprise (he can genuinely make things happen with his feet, and he’s got enough arm to effectively use the entire tree. But the accuracy and pocket feel haven’t been what I expected. 

I personally thought the Adkins one was very catchable...I mean he put two hands on it but ya it could've had more of an arc on it (Ive noticed he has trouble with this).

I agree with the pocket presence and others talking about him bailing out to the right. Too many Russ vibes there. I think his accuracy has been quite good close/intermediate and 50/50 with longer balls

34 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

From a low expectation context of questioning if Nix can ever even be serviceable after last week, is it fair to call this second half progress? At least he was trying to get the ball downfield. 

There has to be some carryover to the first half next week though.

He sucks. He was drafted a round too high and is very limited from a physical standout. He was also drafted to “fit Sean’s system” and Sean’s system is an antiquated embarrassment. 

53 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

From a low expectation context of questioning if Nix can ever even be serviceable after last week, is it fair to call this second half progress? At least he was trying to get the ball downfield. 

There has to be some carryover to the first half next week though.

Great point. From a progress prospective you've got to be pleased. He finally got some vertical to the offense which is critical. He's still got lots of room to improve about everywhere but the 2nd half today was definitely an improvement from last week.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

You’re like 40 years old. For the love of god, grow up already. 

But how is he wrong?

This is comparable to the comments I got when I hated the pick in the spring.  I hope Nix works out, but even then there were a ton of concerns of that being an absolutely terrible pick.  @AnAngryAmericanisnt wrong,  he’s sucked in 2 games. 

Edited by germ-x

3 minutes ago, germ-x said:

But how is he wrong?

This is comparable to the comments I got when I hated the pick in the spring.  I hope Nix works out, but even then there were a ton of concerns of that being an absolutely terrible pick.  @AnAngryAmericanisnt wrong,  he’s sucked in 2 games. 

He’s talking like two games is a definitive sample to write the kid off. Yeah, it’s been a bad two games. IT’S TWO GAMES. A little worse than expected, but it’s a rookie QB with a bad corps of offensive weapons against two extremely good defensive coaches. This is very much in the fat part of the bell curve in terms of historical rookie QB performances. 

And he knows that, too. He just talks childish in the emotional wake of a loss. It was tiresome 15 years ago.

This defence might be pretty good? Last week, the 2nd half was a little ugly because the offence couldn’t get a first down to give them a breather, but this week the game had a healthier rhythm in the 2nd, and the defence held up well. And that’s with a subpar PS2 performance. PIT’s o-line is pretty bad in pass pro, but our rush was getting home consistently, while maintaining gap integrity vs Fields. A lot to be excited about on that side of the ball, in my opinion.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

He’s talking like two games is a definitive sample to write the kid off. Yeah, it’s been a bad two games. IT’S TWO GAMES. A little worse than expected, but it’s a rookie QB with a bad corps of offensive weapons against two extremely good defensive coaches. This is very much in the fat part of the bell curve in terms of historical rookie QB performances. 

And he knows that, too. He just talks childish in the emotional wake of a loss. It was tiresome 15 years ago.

I don’t disagree that it’s early and I wasn’t a fan of the pick from the moment it was made, but fully understand there is a developmental side to this and I 100% don’t agree that he should be written off.

Nix has been awful.  The media and organization have sold how he’s started 61 games and how mature he is, he process information like Drew Brees, they knew after 16 snaps he was the guy, he has plenty of arm to make every throw, is pinpoint accurate, he can throw off of all platforms and he’s a good athlete.  The only part of that in 2 games that is true is he is a good athlete.  

My argument against Nix, even in the spring when he was drafted is outside of the athleticism he didn’t show any of the rest of that playing at Auburn in the SEC and which is the closest thing you can compare to the NFL.  

54 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

This defence might be pretty good? Last week, the 2nd half was a little ugly because the offence couldn’t get a first down to give them a breather, but this week the game had a healthier rhythm in the 2nd, and the defence held up well. And that’s with a subpar PS2 performance. PIT’s o-line is pretty bad in pass pro, but our rush was getting home consistently, while maintaining gap integrity vs Fields. A lot to be excited about on that side of the ball, in my opinion.

Same thing last year until we played good teams…then we got bent over.

While I highly question Sean Payton’s overprotective play calling, I’m nowhere near as down on Bo Nix as some. Does he get a little nervous in the pocket sometimes? Of course. Does he make the wrong read occasionally? Yes. Does he get tricked by sneaky underneath coverage? Yep. ALL are things I fully expected. HE’S A ROOKIE. Starting from week one. But the thing is: at no point in this has he ever looked lost. Drew Lock looked lost. Tim Tebow and Paxton Lynch looked lost. Lost is when your first read isn’t open and you suddenly look like a deer in the headlights. Lost is when you stand in the pocket holding the ball for 3-4 seconds looking like you have no idea what to do until you finally take a sack. Lost is when you take off running 5-10 times per game when you have wide open receivers because you have no idea how to read through your progressions. That’s not what I’ve seen from Bo Nix.

He threw for over 200 yards in that second half against an outstanding defense. With zero help from our running game and half a dozen drops from our receivers. His biggest obstacle right now is learning the nuance of professional football while getting virtually zero help from our skill positions. And yet in spite of this, our defense and special teams have kept us within a single score of two likely playoff bound teams. We were never going to be good right off the bat this season. But I’m going to give it the full 18 before I hit the panic button. 

• Like 3