Week Two 9/15/24 game thread: vs Houston

beardown3231

38 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I heard yesterday from local. Chicago radio (don’t remember who) said that Rome woke up “sore” so they checked it out, not like he couldn’t walk or anything

Better to rest him now, miss a week or two than to push it and end up on IR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

i hate our orange unis

They are fun as a special occasion (still hated when they did the Helmet too and the Oranges didnt match)

But on the road, vs a team like the Texans..... If you're going to do it, this is a good spot (only better time would be if it was Thursday Night, not Sunday Night)

Edited by StLunatic88

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

They are fun as a special occasion (still hated when they did the Helmet too and the Oranges didnt match)

But on the road, vs a team like the Texans..... If you're going to do it, this is a good spot (only better time would be if it was Thursday Night, not Sunday Night)

I'm into uniform matchups. If Houston wore navy helmets and tops, that was going to be hard on the eyes had the Bears not wore orange

Thoughts for the week (hot takes and overreactions).

1. Odunze can and should be inactive'd or outright IR'd (to return later)....  We aren't a superbowl team with our current Center, preserve the kid for the future. I don't want him to RG3 himself because the coaches couldn't protect him from himself.  It'll also give us a bit of time to really put Scott through the ringer to see if the kid is worth keeping around going forward.

2. IDGAF if Allen plays or not with his heel injury.... As far as I'm concerned, he's washed until he proves otherwise. Last week didn't help his case (though Waldron ran him deep a number of times for some reason vs Tennessee.... man is slower than our TEs at this point) . I will say this though.. They forced the ball to Allen too much last week. I don't want to see that continue. He CAN still get open, and did a number of times. He will get his. It doesn't need to be forced, and last week felt forced.

3. I'd also lean towards Roschon getting in the mix. When we had a goal line run, I distinctly remember thinking that was a play for Roschon and we got stuffed hard because he was inactive.

4. I REALLY don't like having Velus and Khalil Herbert both in the running back room right now.  It feels a bit redundant having two outside zone running backs who couldn't catch a cold.  Should have traded one or both before the season tbh.  Either is a better pure runner than Roschon, but Roschon can actually block, catch, and pound a short yardage run more effectively (and is also going to be around longer).

5. I'm not really sure I've seen a reason that Homer or Blasingame are still here.

6. The OL interior was bad enough last week to where jobs should be in jeopardy. Our biggest asset right now is Caleb, and the interior was bad enough last week to be wasting Caleb's development time and/or risking his future. Zach Frazier looks like a damn stud right now, and we could have easily traded down and grabbed still grabbed him with the Odunze pick.  We keep avoiding actually adressing the Center position, and it keeps being a gargantuan black hole of faliure for years now.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Epyon said:

2. IDGAF if Allen plays or not with his heel injury.... As far as I'm concerned, he's washed until he proves otherwise. Last week didn't help his case (though Waldron ran him deep a number of times for some reason vs Tennessee.... man is slower than our TEs at this point) . I will say this though.. They forced the ball to Allen too much last week. I don't want to see that continue. He CAN still get open, and did a number of times. He will get his. It doesn't need to be forced, and last week felt forced.

He still runs a great route, don't think he's washed but they were out of sync.  Hopefully last weeks tape has him double covered to open things up for Moore, Swift, TEs et al

4 hours ago, Epyon said:

4. I REALLY don't like having Velus and Khalil Herbert both in the running back room right now.  It feels a bit redundant having two outside zone running backs who couldn't catch a cold.  Should have traded one or both before the season tbh.  Either is a better pure runner than Roschon, but Roschon can actually block, catch, and pound a short yardage run more effectively (and is also going to be around longer).

It's going to look very silly when people recall the Bears supposedly had a trade offer for him (Hard Knocks)  Roschon came in with a lot of hype and I've never seen it on the field, mostly because he doesn't seem to play much.  Not sure what Velus does here as the return duties are a non starter, and if Herbert being on the field is a tell... so is Velus?

4 hours ago, Epyon said:

5. I'm not really sure I've seen a reason that Homer or Blasingame are still here.

Blasingame has either hit some kind of wall or is being used wrong. He looked good the last couple years but for game one at least seemed ineffective.

4 hours ago, Epyon said:

6. The OL interior was bad enough last week to where jobs should be in jeopardy. Our biggest asset right now is Caleb, and the interior was bad enough last week to be wasting Caleb's development time and/or risking his future. Zach Frazier looks like a damn stud right now, and we could have easily traded down and grabbed still grabbed him with the Odunze pick.  We keep avoiding actually adressing the Center position, and it keeps being a gargantuan black hole of faliure for years now.

The only way jobs are in jeopardy is if the OL is so bad that Williams gets hurt, which let's face it, is on the table if they play like last week. 
I think Poles must have a "BELIEVE" poster over Ryan Bates' locker, but he might be the only one.  It was fair to wonder if the OL moves in the offseason were sufficient, and right now they look so poor that it's going to lose games and mess with the QB.  Hope to be wrong. 

1 hour ago, malak1 said:

Would be great if this were a statement game, tbh. 

It’s really a chance for a statement game on both sides of the ball, right? Our offense for obvious reasons, but if our defense wants to be recognized as one of the league’s best then a strong showing holding Stroud & Co. mostly in check on a national broadcast stage would be a pretty big statement too IMO, win or lose. 

• Like 1

I think this will be a loss, but I do think that both sides will play well.  The defense is not going to look like it is a poser based on the Titans performance, and the offense will be significantly improved.  I think we see something along the lines of a 24-21 loss, with a couple defensive takeaways, just less efficiency on the Bears O vs the Texans O.  

Edited by TankWilliams