Browns QB Deshaun Watson Has New Charges Brought From Alleged Oct. 2020 Assault

I'm just upset I don't have an extra first round pick to exploit out of this situation. Luther Burden is a luxury item, but he'd be a nice transition from Stefon Diggs... But you're likely looking at Malaki Starks.

All jokes aside - much like how Ashley Solis was the tip of the iceberg in regards to the sexual misconduct allegations against Watson, this Jane Doe might be the tip of the iceberg in a new wave of allegations.

40 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm just upset I don't have an extra first round pick to exploit out of this situation. Luther Burden is a luxury item, but he'd be a nice transition from Stefon Diggs... But you're likely looking at Malaki Starks.

Let’s be real here - for as much as the Browns deserve this and more, Houston enabled his predatory behavior and at best knew about it and did nothing and at worst helped provide him with hotel room means and NDAs and then sold high and profited off of letting him go when he wanted paid again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/07/sports/football/deshaun-watson.html#:~:text=Help From the Texans,him about Smith's Instagram posts.

I think it’s a shame the way Houston has somehow managed to paint themselves as somehow being vindicated in this.

40 minutes ago, ET80 said:

All jokes aside - much like how Ashley Solis was the tip of the iceberg in regards to the sexual misconduct allegations against Watson, this Jane Doe might be the tip of the iceberg in a new wave of allegations.

I’m not rooting for anything remotely close to what I read in that article happening to anyone, but if it had, I hope it is the tip of the iceberg and the NFL does what they should have done yesterday and puts him on the exempt list.

Sadly, the NFL has a history of this, and ownership in some organizations have been culpable to similar things, or allowing similar things to happen in their organization with executives and other employees.  In one case, sometimes both.  

Now, that all can’t really be discussed without a football slant to it, so I’ll just say this: the NFL has a shield to protect, and until enough people vote with the one thing that will hurt the shield, which is their money, stuff like this truly won’t be stamped out.  At best, it will be swept under the rug.  

Football-wise, this cost Washington fans about 4-5 years of having a lame duck owner who was not-so-quietly put out of his ‘misery’ by being forced to sell his team for $6 billion.  Watson has just looked terrible on the field going through all of this, but he will continue to go through all of it because he’s got a fully guaranteed contract, and if he does nothing with his contract at all, he can compound the money and be a billionaire by the time he’s 50.  But as a Browns fan, I understand how it is to be stuck with this guy around your franchise.  It was worse to have Snyder stuck there in the end.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Football-wise, this cost Washington fans about 4-5 years of having a lame duck owner who was not-so-quietly put out of his ‘misery’ by being forced to sell his team for $6 billion.  Watson has just looked terrible on the field going through all of this, but he will continue to go through all of it because he’s got a fully guaranteed contract, and if he does nothing with his contract at all, he can compound the money and be a billionaire by the time he’s 50.  But as a Browns fan, I understand how it is to be stuck with this guy around your franchise.  It was worse to have Snyder stuck there in the end.  

Washington had years of misery under Snyder, but these two things aren’t apples and oranges.

Watson is here BECAUSE OF Haslem, the same guy with a FBI raid for gross fraud for Flying J, just like JFF was here because of him, and just like Hue Jackson was here for over 2 years because of him and his wife Dee.

By his own admission, he meddled in the day to day for 7+ years, culminating in some wild stories from the FO/coaching staff during the 1-31 era.

Throw in Al Lerner’s son Randy refusing to spend money and not selling the team for 10 years, which was a mandate from his father for inheritance stuff, and Modell moving the team in ‘95, it’s now in its thirtieth consecutive season of misery and horrific ownership.

They just unveiled a new stadium plan, rejected by the city, with an expiring lease in 2027, and if they don’t sort it out, he can and will move the team again.

19 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Washington had years of misery under Snyder, but these two things aren’t apples and oranges.

Watson is here BECAUSE OF Haslem, the same guy with a FBI raid for gross fraud for Flying J, just like JFF was here because of him, and just like Hue Jackson was here for over 2 years because of him and his wife Dee.

By his own admission, he meddled in the day to day for 7+ years, culminating in some wild stories from the FO/coaching staff during the 1-31 era.

Throw in Al Lerner’s son Randy refusing to spend money and not selling the team for 10 years, which was a mandate from his father for inheritance stuff, and Modell moving the team in ‘95, it’s now in its thirtieth consecutive season of misery and horrific ownership.

They just unveiled a new stadium plan, rejected by the city, with an expiring lease in 2027, and if they don’t sort it out, he can and will move the team again.

I mean, Snyder brought in Bruce Allen on Mike Shanahan’s demand, and the two became BFFs and Snyder basically let Allen do his thing, power struggles with other executives and all- including an NFL-appointed executive on the business side.  They had all of the stuff that happened within the front office with sexual assault allegations, etc, and Snyder was perfectly fine with the team bringing in Albert Haynesworth- and in stories told, advocated for him.  

It might not be the exact same thing, but they are definitely similar in their meddling and what they have allowed to happen in their organizations.  Both also came in with the expectation that they would be beneficial owners.  The NFL wanted someone with Snyder’s youth to be sitting around Washington DC to help advocate for the shield, and Haslam came in after being a minority partner in the Steelers and the NFL was hoping that the Rooney’s rubbed off on him.  

Sadly, wrong on all accounts.  

55 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, Snyder brought in Bruce Allen on Mike Shanahan’s demand, and the two became BFFs and Snyder basically let Allen do his thing, power struggles with other executives and all- including an NFL-appointed executive on the business side.  They had all of the stuff that happened within the front office with sexual assault allegations, etc, and Snyder was perfectly fine with the team bringing in Albert Haynesworth- and in stories told, advocated for him.  

It might not be the exact same thing, but they are definitely similar in their meddling and what they have allowed to happen in their organizations.  Both also came in with the expectation that they would be beneficial owners.  The NFL wanted someone with Snyder’s youth to be sitting around Washington DC to help advocate for the shield, and Haslam came in after being a minority partner in the Steelers and the NFL was hoping that the Rooney’s rubbed off on him.  

Sadly, wrong on all accounts.  

Right, we are saying the same thing here

8 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Let’s be real here - for as much as the Browns deserve this and more, Houston enabled his predatory behavior and at best knew about it and did nothing and at worst helped provide him with hotel room means and NDAs and then sold high and profited off of letting him go when he wanted paid again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/07/sports/football/deshaun-watson.html#:~:text=Help From the Texans,him about Smith's Instagram posts.

I think it’s a shame the way Houston has somehow managed to paint themselves as somehow being vindicated in this.

In the exact same article you cited, Watson himself - under oath - said the Texans knew nothing of his actions in The Houstonian. Given his relationship with the franchise, why would he cover for a team he was actively holding out and demanding a trade from?

I don't disagree that there was a member of the Texans FO that knew about it - but from everything we knew about former EVP Jack Easterby, he was notorious for stonewalling and hording information to keep himself in power. 

If anyone knew, it was Easterby - and my thoughts on him as a human being (let alone an EVP of Football Operations) are very well known. 

46 minutes ago, ET80 said:

In the exact same article you cited, Watson himself - under oath - said the Texans knew nothing of his actions in The Houstonian. Given his relationship with the franchise, why would he cover for a team he was actively holding out and demanding a trade from?

I don't disagree that there was a member of the Texans FO that knew about it - but from everything we knew about former EVP Jack Easterby, he was notorious for stonewalling and hording information to keep himself in power. 

If anyone knew, it was Easterby - and my thoughts on him as a human being (let alone an EVP of Football Operations) are very well known. 

Getting NDA’s from a security staffer and hotel access by the organization is about as bad as it gets - and that’s also why I laid out a best and worst case for each. The Texans knew - of course they knew.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Getting NDA’s from a security staffer and hotel access by the organization is about as bad as it gets - and that’s also why I laid out a best and worst case for each. The Texans knew - of course they knew.

What are the odds that Watson wanted out because the Texans were tired of covering for him?

1 minute ago, BroncoSojia said:

What are the odds that Watson wanted out because the Texans were tired of covering for him?

I think he wanted out because he wanted paid again all up front and they were so mad at the thought of paying him again all up front they exposed him for who he is.

On 9/9/2024 at 8:43 PM, Soko said:

IIRC, the hearing concluded that Watson isn’t going to be punished for any further instances that occurred in XYZ time period. 

You are correct per the settlement with the NFL when he agreed to 11 game suspension any other similar acts from 2019-2021 would not be subject to punishment by the NFL.  

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Maybe it was to keep his trade value high?