Week 2: San Francisco 49ers at Minnesota Vikings

J-ALL-DAY

Vikings head coach Kevin O’Connell said at his Friday press conference that Addison is not going to play against the 49ers. Addison left last Sunday’s win over the Giants with an ankle injury and has not practiced this week.

The Vikings could be without a few other starters as well. Safety Harrison Smith was added to the injury report when he missed Thursday’s practice and he will be listed as questionable due to a hip injury.

Right tackle Brian O’Neill and right guard Ed Ingram will be in the same category. O’Neill’s elbow landed him on Thursday’s report while Ingram is a Friday addition with a triceps injury.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jordan-addison-out-harrison-smith-questionable-for-vikings

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I wonder how much man we run this week, especially on money downs. You can double Jefferson and man up everywhere else, especially with Addison not playing as well as Hockenson. 

and with our right tackle and right guard (who wasn't very good anyway) potentially out of the game, or hobbled, you're going to have a field day on Darnold.

This is the right call. The beginning of our season is the easiest on paper and we should be able to get by without CMC. No need to risk it and if he's having pain still after practice, that's not just going to go away in a week. I would even be fine if CMC misses the first half of the season. 

• Like 10

48 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

and with our right tackle and right guard (who wasn't very good anyway) potentially out of the game, or hobbled, you're going to have a field day on Darnold.

What are the reporters saying regarding O'neill? They are leaning towards him playing or missing the game? 

CMC missed all of August with this injury and its like a 3 month injury right? Just IR him and have him come back after our bye week on Nov 10 vs Bucs 

Totally predictable after a season of heavy usage and a big contract tho lol. Hope he's just able to contribute and not reaggravate his injury this season. And hopefully he's fully healthy in 2025 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What are the reporters saying regarding O'neill? They are leaning towards him playing or missing the game? 

his apparent elbow injury is a new one. hasn't bothered him earlier this year, and just today was our first news that it's a situation to be monitored.

so no one knows squat. none of us at least.

Mason only had 5 pass pro snaps against the Jets. Will the Vikings blitz Purdy like crazy as they did last year? I feel like they'd even be more incentivized to.

Also I remember they killed us on the ground running the ball. It was like the worst running attack in the league, but then of course they were able to plow their way through the defense. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, Manny/Patrick said:

Let’s say Mason is a top 5 back when Cmac comes back, would we entertain a 2 back system, or could we put Cmac at WR?

No on CMC at WR but yes at two back system. Kyle would be a fool not to utilize Mason heavily if he shows he can be a top two back in the league. Would be Montgomery/Gibbs type of situation with CMC still getting around 60% of the carries. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

So what RB are we adding to the roster while CMC is out?

Brieda?

They elevated Tracy Walker, who was signed in case Hufanga wasn't ready for the start of the season. Huf should probably be on IR but I think the team is trying to avoid having to use their return designations in case something happens later in the season.

As a 49ers fan, I think they roll. Short week, early start on the road, no CMC, 0-7 in Minnesota since 98? etc.? I don't care. This is one of the most complete teams in the league going up against Sam Darnold who 9er D should know pretty well since Sam was a 49er last year.

Vikings D and coaching keep it close.  23 Niner gang- 18 Vikings

*It also has the makings of a trap game. :( 

Edited by jjbnum3
  • Like 1