Week 2 general discussion

Blackstar12

24 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Also led the league with 74/1211/17TD in 11 gms in 1942

Once again, a leather helmet and no pads. 

Why do you keep saying pads and helmets like if Rugby doesn’t exist. No NFL player is leaving to play rugby. It’s the contrary. 

Edited by El Ramster

47 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Why do you keep saying pads and helmets like if Rugby doesn’t exist. No NFL player is leaving to play rugby. It’s the contrary. 

Because you keep thinking Cooper Kupp of all people, could play in a leather helmet with no face mask? Very little padding, basically TC shells.

You want to give modern players all the benefits, would easily dominate but refuse to acknowledge the playing conditions from different Era's? The lack of necessities, medical care, travel by bus, rehabilitation, nutritional supplements, technology, ect...?

Thinking none of that matters or wouldn't matter or effect the modern day pampered Multi-millionaire athlete who has all of that at his disposal is short sided at best. I'm sorry. 

I get the bigger, stronger,  faster argument. Doesn't mean any of them could last 11 seasons like Hutson did in that Era/Environment. That's all I'm getting at. Would love to see it, honestly. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

11 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Because you keep thinking Cooper Kupp of all people, could play in a leather helmet with no face mask? Very little padding, basically TC shells.

You want to give modern players all the benefits, would easily dominate but refuse to acknowledge the playing conditions from different Era's? The lack of necessities, medical care, travel by bus, rehabilitation, nutritional supplements, technology, ect...?

Thinking none of that matters or wouldn't matter or effect the modern day pampered Multi-millionaire athlete who has all of that at his disposal is short sided at best. I'm sorry. 

I get the bigger, stronger,  faster argument. Doesn't mean any of them could last 11 seasons like Hutson did in that Era/Environment. That's all I'm getting at. Would love to see it, honestly. 

You’re argument is that they’re better because they played in era where you could be dirty.. Look at what Jim Brown did in that era. Imagine dropping off CMC or Bijan. They’ll rush for 8000 yards. No ones catching them, but you’re whole argument is getting hit. No ones hitting them, no ones catching up to them. Dirty does not mean good. NBA players today are more skilled than 90% of the players in the 90s. You had crappy guys like Danny Ainge making rosters. They wouldn’t even sniff the Gleague today. But because you can drop 10 elbows to the face doesn’t mean that you are better. You lack skill and you need to make it up somewhere else. The bad boys pistons would get absolutely smoked.. They’ll get 3s rain on them all day… Eras are amazing. But you’re getting the best of the best in today’s NFL. Lawrence Taylor played coked out his mind. Can you imagine TJ Watt on some Colombian marching powder? Good god man. Dude never sees 1v1 as is. He’ll have that engine running hot af. 

Edited by El Ramster

18 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Oh Lamar is terrible in the playoffs, no argument here. I've been super vocal about that. 

But Joe Burrow has been average in them and both can be true. Only difference is most people acknowledge Lamar sucks in the playoffs and most people pretend like Burrow is some playoff god when in reality he was winning a lot of 20-17 type games in 2021-22 off the back of his defense.

Lamar career playoff rating 75 and Burrow 84 is nasty work for one objectively awful performer and one "playoff shiesty brrrrr"

Yeah but what about shiesty’s hair?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Yeah dude. A dude playing vs farmers is a better athlete. There is no athlete born in 20-30-40-50-60-70-80 that’s better than today’s.. The nutrition is better and so are the steroids. Come on mang. Hudson? Wouldn’t even make a NFL roster in todays league my boy.’dude wouldn’t even make D1 college. 

This is the issue with comparing eras aint it.  We have to use relativity. Even N’Keal Harry would dominate cornerbacks of the 1960s for example. 

Its basically impossible to do this. In a vacuum - Sure it’s Kupp. Getting open against current day NFL defenders is much harder. But relatively, is he greater than Largent or Hutson? F knows.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

This is the issue with comparing eras aint it.  We have to use relativity. Even N’Keal Harry would dominate cornerbacks of the 1960s for example. 

Its basically impossible to do this. In a vacuum - Sure it’s Kupp. Getting open against current day NFL defenders is much harder. But relatively, is he greater than Largent or Hutson? F knows.

It’s hilarious looking back at some of the MLB body types in the late 80’s and 90’s.  Rod Beck and John Kruk specifically, but yeah, the attention to diet/training wasn’t there.  But……you also didn’t have the kind of arm injuries.  

Also back then, torn ACL’s were less common, but they were also career-ending.  Medical technology has also come a long way.  

On 9/13/2024 at 10:16 AM, Ray Reed said:

Lamar career playoff rating 75 and Burrow 84 is nasty work for one objectively awful performer and one "playoff shiesty brrrrr"

Lamar is 75.7 with one game with a rating at 80 or better. Burrow is 93.8 with one game with a rating below 80. Ravens have scored more than 17 twice with Lamar in the playoffs, Bengals every time with the Burrow. That's the difference.

Also Brady's career playoff rating was 89.8.

16 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Lamar is 75.7 with one game with a rating at 80 or better. Burrow is 93.8 with one game with a rating below 80. Ravens have scored more than 17 twice with Lamar in the playoffs, Bengals every time with the Burrow. That's the difference.

Raven fans will find anything to hang on to support Lamar’s struggles. 

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

17 isn’t this great benchmark. Burrow in 7 games has averaged 23 PPG and that’s including defensive TDs. I’m not going back to look at how many the Bengals have but I know for a fact they have at least one against when they scored against the Snoop Ravens in a 24-17 win so that game was 17 from the offense right there. Bengals defense has forced 13 turnovers in those 7 games. 2+ turnovers in 5/7. 23 PPG with that defensive help isn’t impressive. 

Burrow being better than Lamar in the playoffs doesn’t make him good. Lamar is one of the worst playoff QBs in the league currently. Burrow has 9 TDs in 7 games. You're free to be impressed by that. I’m not. He does a good job not turning the ball over but so does Brock Purdy. I don’t think he’s anywhere close to Mahomes or Allen in the yoffs and that seems to be the popular narrative. 

Edited by Ray Reed