What do the Dolphins do at QB?

Danger

14 hours ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

Cowherd just mentioned maybe the NFL should consider an Amnesty Clause type option, each team gets 1 every five to ten years for situations like this. Basically, NFL doesn’t let Tua play again, pays him his money, and doesn’t go against the team cap

Not sure how realistic something like this would be but I’ll let those of you who are much smarter than me chime in. I do think the NFL does need to get creative with this situation and be open to all options 

The problem is that players don't show signs of brain damage that you can point to on an MRI, so someone's risk is based on hearsay reports of the number of subconcussive/concussive hits they've taken or any memory issues players would happen to notice in themselves (which, while terrifying, is not an objective standard).

An Amnesty Clause could work in that teams could simply exclude a player from salary cap calculations, but I don't see any way to tie it to brain injury susceptibility. And if Tua wants to play so that he can collect that $100MM+ guaranteed for injury that's on his deal, his symptoms will eventually subside and his brain will look normal on a scan, so on what basis would the Dolphins DQ him?

A much better fit for this type of thing would have been Ryan Shazier. Credit to the Steelers, when he had his injury, they converted the money in his deal to a signing bonus so he'd get it immediately:

We're having this conversation not because the health circumstances warrant it, but because the Dolphins and Browns (and Falcons and currently Broncos) are staring down some pretty unhealthy cap hits in the future. And, well, yeah. They'll pay it down, have a quiet year in FA or two, probably lose a bunch, and then be back in a few years. The Giants are paying that price now, happens to everyone (except the damn Packers).

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Or maybe teams should just rethink signing frail, injury prone players to 200 million dollar contracts.

This is one thing that's kind of surprising to me. What was the rush on giving him his extension this offseason when a.) he was terrible down the stretch against every decent team they played, raising on-the-field questions about how far he could bring that team to begin with and b.) it appears to just be accepted by all sides that he was one concussion away from needing to retire. Just seemed to be an obvious candidate for the 5th year option + franchise tag route. It's a terrible situation all around but when this was apparently going to be the reaction to the very next big hit Tua took no matter what I cannot understand why the Dolphins jumped so quickly into making this an unfixable problem for themselves. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 2

It might sound incredibly heartless, but it’s total BS to bail teams out of bad cap management with the contracts they’re giving out, all because of injuries forcing someone out. It’s the risk of the business. 

Obviously that hasn’t happened (yet), but it being on the table should be a slap in the face. 

• Like 3

Get a backup who can lead the offense because Skylar Thompson isn't it. Don't let Tua play another snap.

I don't think they'll go far, but it might be enough to save McDaniel's job. (Not that I necessarily see this as a positive for anybody except him and his staff.)

Edited by y*so*blu

4 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

q7dpdlxyu5rs05rgh1le

You realize that either they or he would have to potentially buy him out of his contract with FOX and he's also in negotiation to buy a stake in the Raiders himself, right?  Tom's not unretiring.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

Cowherd just mentioned maybe the NFL should consider an Amnesty Clause type option, each team gets 1 every five to ten years for situations like this. Basically, NFL doesn’t let Tua play again, pays him his money, and doesn’t go against the team cap

Not sure how realistic something like this would be but I’ll let those of you who are much smarter than me chime in. I do think the NFL does need to get creative with this situation and be open to all options 

Who pays him?