#2 WR Before trade deadline?

rlon

The more I think about it, the more I want Slayton. He is a perfect number 2 WR. I wonder what it would cost draft pick wise, considering he’s a free agent after the season. Fourth rounder? 

As far fetched as it sounds, what about Aiyuk? I know we are done with the situation and the drama, but everything does not appear to be rosy in 49'er land with him.He has 6 catches for 71 yards and 0 TD's in two games after being the top yardage guy last year. When Ricky Pearsall recovers he may transition onto the field more. It's early, things change week to week, but if things don't get significantly better with the injuries and wins, he is on a short rope with the team. As Coach T always says, volunteers, not hostages. He seems like he feels like a hostage despite signing the deal. His play and role seem nowhere near what it was. Then you are looking at half a season's salary. How quick you can go from, You got Khaned to you are the Khan Artist again.

Omar-Khan.jpg

14 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

As far fetched as it sounds, what about Aiyuk? I know we are done with the situation and the drama, but everything does not appear to be rosy in 49'er land with him.He has 6 catches for 71 yards and 0 TD's in two games after being the top yardage guy last year. When Ricky Pearsall recovers he may transition onto the field more. It's early, things change week to week, but if things don't get significantly better with the injuries and wins, he is on a short rope with the team. As Coach T always says, volunteers, not hostages. He seems like he feels like a hostage despite signing the deal. His play and role seem nowhere near what it was. Then you are looking at half a season's salary. How quick you can go from, You got Khaned to you are the Khan Artist again.

Omar-Khan.jpg

With Aiyuk being signed through 2028 (2029 and 2030 appear to be void years), I just don't see it happening. Wouldn't that create just WAY too much dead cap money for 49ers? I don't even know that they could without making cap space this year.

It should not affect the 49ers at all. The Steelers would absorb his contact. It is not the same as cutting a player. 

The 49ers need WR help and just signed Michael Thomas with Deebo being hurt.  Aiyuk is now WR1 by default.  No inside information or anything,  simply my opinion 🤔 of  a possible option based on how things looked two weeks in. Can he carry the WR room? If not I am speculating he could be a  trade candidate. 

15 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

It should not affect the 49ers at all. The Steelers would absorb his contact. It is not the same as cutting a player

They are still on the hook for paid money, though. So it’s $24M in signing bonus. They aren’t paying a guy $24m to go away after a half season unless they get blown away with compensation. 

23 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

They are still on the hook for paid money, though. So it’s $24M in signing bonus. They aren’t paying a guy $24m to go away after a half season unless they get blown away with compensation. 

Good point, I forgot about the up front $$ and was thinking just about the cap. However,  the Steelers could pay cash towards that too though in a trade. I don't think it will happen,  but just keeping an eye out over the next several weeks.  

What about Treylon Burks or DeAndre Hopkins?   I know neither are long term solutions, but they could likely be had cheap.

The Titans are 0-3 and I dont see them going anywhere.

Burks has a been a bust, but he hasnt had anything good to work with in Tennessee.   I know he isnt great in general, but is he possibly worth kicking the tires on if we could g get him for a late round pick?    Admittedly I dont know alot about him.

Hopkins isnt what he used to be, but I think he could be pretty good next to Pickens for a year or two.   I dont think he is completely washed and could provide a veteran presence to the young WRs.    I dont think it would cost more than an early day 3 pick since he is 32 and on the last year of his deal on a team going nowhere.

There will probably be other options while some teams keep dropping games.      If we win next week, they should look to make a push to bring....SOMEONE in.

I dont think we will, though.

10 hours ago, 43M said:

What about Treylon Burks or DeAndre Hopkins?   I know neither are long term solutions, but they could likely be had cheap.

The Titans are 0-3 and I dont see them going anywhere.

Burks has a been a bust, but he hasnt had anything good to work with in Tennessee.   I know he isnt great in general, but is he possibly worth kicking the tires on if we could g get him for a late round pick?    Admittedly I dont know alot about him.

Hopkins isnt what he used to be, but I think he could be pretty good next to Pickens for a year or two.   I dont think he is completely washed and could provide a veteran presence to the young WRs.    I dont think it would cost more than an early day 3 pick since he is 32 and on the last year of his deal on a team going nowhere.

There will probably be other options while some teams keep dropping games.      If we win next week, they should look to make a push to bring....SOMEONE in.

I dont think we will, though.

Hopkins…yes, would be a great fit and I agree would come pretty cheap. He just went 6-73-1 this week while only playing 50% of the snaps so he certainly has juice left. Burks is not better than what we currently have. 

I do think Omar would be aggressive and try to bring in a WR if we keep rattling off wins though. He tried all offseason and the motivation to do so only increases the better the team looks. 

I doubt we see anything happen until the deadline. They will want to see what they have in Roman Wilson first. 

Edited by bigben07MVP

On 9/23/2024 at 10:17 AM, bigben07MVP said:

They will want to see what they have in Roman Wilson first. 

why not trade for Hopkins and Wilson would be  more for next year if he is capable . If not, maybe sign Hopkins or other vet or of course draft. 

If Hopkins can be traded for a 5th, it's a steal, especially if there is a chance they can sign him now for a few more years. Hopkins and GP should help score a bit more

28 minutes ago, warfelg said:

👀👀👀

I know in division is unlikely to happen. Maybe even in conference. But man let me dream. 

Another player that should not be very expensive.  i would give them a 3rd and then try like hell to sign him before the end of the season.  I doubt they would trade him to the Steelers.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Another player that should not be very expensive.  i would give them a 3rd and then try like hell to sign him before the end of the season.  I doubt they would trade him to the Steelers.

I'd rather trade a 5th for Hopkins and see how Wilson does.  Add a few years to Hopkins deal unless he still wants to be paid the highest