Bears at Colts 9/22 Noon Game On CBS

9 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

We can all criticize him for the Waldron hire but pretty sure 90% of ppl were happy about that hire at the time 

Shane Waldron was for sure the consensus most logical hire for the Bears. A proven guy, who had helped resurrect Geno’s career to st ran a similar enough offense that it didn’t need to be whole sale changes on that side of the ball.

I personally had pitched Clint Kubiak in my mock, but that’s because I didn’t think we could get Waldron. And even with the Clint pick, I can recognize that he wouldn’t be doing things here that he did to start the Saints season. It has to do with the OL they have on top of an established QB and some great weapons.

Just like I said when questioned on it, I have not changed my overall opinion on this team, or its coaching staff or its front office. I have some outstanding questions still, but as I said during the game, you can see the rough edges of it. The 4th Quarter against TEN. The last 20 min today. It’s there with the Offense, they just have to get rid of the bad tendencies, get more comfortable with what Waldron is calling, and just execute some of the plays that they are bumbling.

We do that, it gives the defense an extra bit of breathing room, and we are on the right track. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

No one said Eberflus is a great coach after the TEN game. They said he's a great defensive coach which I believe he is.

Despite what the message board guy promises us, I'm not sure Eberflus knew right away that they had to go for 2.

On Hard Knocks they showed him sitting with Caleb one on one quite often. You can't do that but then "hand it all over to Waldron" so your believers have someone else to blame. He's the HC. Lovie got axed for the same thing: an inability to hire a good offensive staff

Yes and? I would expect any head coach whether from a  Defensive or offensive background to be fully invested in his players.

Flus owns responsibility for the hiring of Waldron but I  don’t know what he has to do with Waldron choosing to run 4 straight runs inside the 5 yard line, including a wildcat and option play. 

What are we talking about here as the reason for the Bears loss today?

The wasted timeout on the 2 pt attempt was dumb but at the end of the day they got bailed out by the Colts and still had a chance to stop them and get ball back to try at a game winning drive but they  didn't so end of story 

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

This is why we had to move off of Fields...

Caleb is going to be a star in this league when he gets a bit more protection and an OC who isn't trying to outsmart everyone else.

This is honestly the best thing to come out of today, something you can link at all the trolls who keep running around "BUT FIELDS"ing every single play/game result, because they're still bitter we launched a bad quarterback from the team.

8 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Yes and? I would expect any head coach whether from a  Defensive or offensive background to be fully invested in his players.

Flus owns responsibility for the hiring of Waldron but I  don’t know what he has to do with Waldron choosing to run 4 straight runs inside the 5 yard line, including a wildcat and option play. 

What are we talking about here as the reason for the Bears loss today?

The wasted timeout on the 2 pt attempt was dumb but at the end of the day they got bailed out by the Colts and still had a chance to stop them and get ball back to try at a game winning drive but they  didn't so end of story 

What he has to do with those 4 play calls? He's the head coach. He hears what's being called. He has the most power to say "no, do X or Y instead"

13 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

What he has to do with those 4 play calls? He's the head coach. He hears what's being called. He has the most power to say "no, do X or Y instead"

Since when do head coaches overrule what their coordinators call unless they are the play caller themselves?

You think it's a good idea for your boss to micromanage you and not let you do what you were hired to do, especially this early on into the work relationship?

That's a sure fire way to undermine your team members and dis establish  trust early on.

• Like 1

The Colts had the worst run defense in the league.  We run the ball 28 times for 63 yards.  Caleb was 33/52.  IMO those numbers should be closer to reversed.  80 offensive plays, it should have been closer to 50 runs, 30 passes.   Jonathan Taylor has 23 runs himself, Swift or RJ should have had that many. 

Caleb is looking better at times.  He and Rome should be a solid combo for years to come. 

2 of our first 3 picks next year need to be on the O-line. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Since when do head coaches overrule what their coordinators call unless they are the play caller themselves?

You think it's a good idea for your boss to micromanage you and not let you do what you were hired to do, especially this early on into the work relationship?

That's a sure fire way to undermine your team members and dis establish  trust early on.

If my employees were terrible for 2 straight weeks and in week 3 they were terrible still, yes I'd feel ok walking over and saying "hey maybe one throw here? maybe not the option on the 1?"

28 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Could you even imagine suggesting this the other way? Andy Reid shuffles over to Steve Spagnulo on an important 3rd down stop and just cuts in “uh fellas, I’m pretty sure we should run a cover 3 shell with a delayed weakside backer blitz”

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

Excellent points!  There were definitely some positives we can take away from this game, even though we also got the L.  We'll get there.

Da Bears.

Yessir. I'm just glad that Caleb still has a LONG way to a go and looked pretty solid today. That gives a huge light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 1

That play where Jaylon hurt his groin two hand touching Richardson OOB was fortuitous that he didn’t lay the wood cause Richardson was bearing down like a freight train. Would rather not lose JJ for some time. 

We got every break in this game and still lost. 

But still positives from a quick first watch: 

Caleb and Odunze showed flashes that they are legit good despite multiple mistakes.  

Roschon showed that he can play and so did Herbert.   Not sure why they have been riding pine so much.  

Kmet played good.

Oline played better. 

Biggest negative:

It feels like we are on an OC merry go round again with a young QB.  I lost a lot of faith in Waldron as of yesterday.  Not just yesterday, but totality of decision making to this point.

It’s great that defensive HCs have success and you can point to that. I just don’t believe it is way to go in modern NFL.

I think we screwed up.  Give me LaFluer or Shanahan or Reid or O’Connell or McVay or Harbaugh over any of the defensive HCs in league right now.  

And the Vikings DC may be best in league at his job.  But I don’t want him as a HC.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It’s great that defensive HCs have success and you can point to that. I just don’t believe it is way to go in modern NFL.

If that were the case, we wouldnt see any HC come from the defensive ranks. 

Heck if that were the case, we would never see a defensive guy even interviewed for a HC spot.

If that were the case the It wouldnt work anywhere, except it does.