BDL 2024 Week 3: Berlin Blitzkrieg @ Ivory Coast Black Rhinos

RedGold

Who wins?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Berlin Blitzkrieg
    • Ivory Coast Black Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/26/2024 at 04:01 AM

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

So, I've tried to pare back from extensive gameplans that try to account for everything that could ever happen.

We have our defense, mostly single high Cover 1 and Cover 3, with some other coverages for flexibility.  But it's not like it would make sense for us to change the total philosphy week to week.

Now part of it is that Winfield is our most flexible piece, and with some backups in the middle, I didn't want to overcomplicate their roles.

Teach me your ways after I was longer winded than I wanted to be this week.

I just read it as not attempting to being overly predictive or exploitative of the opponent. Essentially not going all in on a specific read (which was my passive comment). I take your point and was too harsh putting it in the "don't love section". Would have been more of a general observation I am still weighing as I decide the matchup.

21 minutes ago, InjuredReserve said:

Teach me your ways after I was longer winded than I wanted to be this week.

I just read it as not attempting to being overly predictive or exploitative of the opponent. Essentially not going all in on a specific read (which was my passive comment). I take your point and was too harsh putting it in the "don't love section". Would have been more of a general observation I am still weighing as I decide the matchup.

It's a mix of 'the guy we use in the most varied role is hurt' and 'we have our defensive scheme and it makes no logical sense nor is it possible to switch total defensive philosophy every week' with more weight to the latter.

14 minutes ago, InjuredReserve said:

Oh @Ragnarokis right. I feel like defensively you can't possibly have the personnel to run more than a few defensive formations well. Unless you are crazy deep.

Defensively there is a lot you can do. But if someone boldly shifts I am looking at their roster to scrutinize 

And I've tried to built a roster that I think would fit a single high Cover 1/3 and have run primarily that system for a few years now.

• Like 1

Controversial, but this one has all of the makings of an NFL Week 3 upset. I'm not a Purdy truther (yet), and I can't imagine Kamara carrying the offense twice in two weeks. With their dynamic young players, great offensive line and defensive superstars, I think Berlin does the improbable and escapes with a 28-24 win.

20 hours ago, InjuredReserve said:

I'm not ready to vote on this match-up yet, but I wanted to share current thoughts:

(1) Initially came in expecting to go Ivory Coast here (before reading plans) due to me really liking the Ivory Coast roster construction this offseason, Berlin's injuries, and most importantly how much Stroud struggled this week.

(2) But, I think Stroud's struggles this week should be thrown out. I have an (a) and (b) below on that.

(a) Stroud was blitzed by the opposing defense on more than 60% of the defensive snaps. He wasn't prepared, handled it poorly, and I am curious to see other teams throw this strategy at him in the future. However, those conditions are not present here. Ivory Coast is largely trusting their edges to get pressure and described throwing "a couple blitzes". So minimal to no blitzing is an entirely different scenario for Stroud and makes the irl struggles in week 3 irrelevant to me in this match-up.

(b) I have been swayed to vote against Berlin by not only injuries but early struggles to some key players, particularly Kolton Miller. This was a return to form game for him and I liked seeing Berlin have its 2 strong OTs in place and playing well in week 3 (in Wirfs' case all season). Given the defensive strategy, I think Myles Garrett and Khalil Mack will be able to do damage, but given good OT play I expect Berlin to get I think its tempered significantly from what Stroud faced irl. So I feel comfortable assuming a higher quality of play from Stroud in this contest than a lot will.

(3) But, I am kind of deadlocked in my head right now bc now I see the game close and I think Purdy has the weapons here to do damage in his top 2 WRs and a plan to get Kamara into the passing game out of the backfield.

Factors I don't love:

- Berlin's defensive gameplan reads a little more like just a list of coverage assignments. More of a passive plan than trying to attack this offense

- For IC, I like the offensive alignment, but I would really like a different RB2 than Zeke who I think is pretty washed. An explosive 2nd back would put this offense on another level.

Weighing my stance and slightly leaning IC, but not enough to vote until I have given it a bit more thought.

I went back and forth both sides a ton in my head the last 24 hours and I ended up going with Berlin. I think these are 2 clear rosters that are worthy of the postseason, with great ownership, was a complete toss-up for me.

Biggest driving factor at the end of the day is that I really liked the quality OT play Berlin has gotten irl (especially this week of the season) and that Stroud is not going to face significant blitzing in this game. This is a nail biter that if I had to vote 10 times, each of the team likely earns 5 votes from me. Looking forward to both their future matchups.

This one is very close for me and neither team seem to be clearly ahead. I'm leaning one way right now but I will revisit. I really made to post to say that on first read I thought Dowdle was getting 60 - 55% of the carries. 

"Achane and Pollard will each get 40-45% of the snaps with Dowdle getting the rest"