The good, the bad, the we lost to the panthers

NickButera

22 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

"Old School" Raiders was the vision. 

Guess they overlooked that 2006 is now old lol

Well, "old school raiders" is a catchy name for the vision, which is good for fans and media to create a hype.
And although it's not ideal, when the HC dictates the vision, I'm okay with it as long as it is not only catchphrases, and the organization is build around that vision.

For example regarding presence on the field AP wants the players to be physical, aggressive but also disciplined - you can see that attempt especially on the defense in the first two games, where we started strong on defense.

but then there are also things that just didn't work out so far, and what were the thoughts with that:

- if AP wants old school smashmouth football, then why didn't we invest money at the RB position?
- running scheme: Getsy wants to run a wide zone scheme, but our RB1 Zamir White is just not a scheme fit plus we let Jacobs, who would've been a scheme fit go to the Packers
- Kliff Kingsbury was the first choice for OC - how is he fit for the "old school raider smashmouth football"? or is it Getsy that just doesn't fit into that?
- if AP dictates the vision, is Tom Telesco on board with that?
- How do they think they can get the guys and develop the guys that fit into that old school raider mold?
(let's be honest a first round talent is most of the time more well-rounded and fit better in different schemes than day 2 or 3 guys, who are limited in certain areas but can fit a certain role)

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

- if AP wants old school smashmouth football, then why didn't we invest money at the RB position?
- running scheme: Getsy wants to run a wide zone scheme, but our RB1 Zamir White is just not a scheme fit plus we let Jacobs, who would've been a scheme fit go to the Packers
- Kliff Kingsbury was the first choice for OC - how is he fit for the "old school raider smashmouth football"? or is it Getsy that just doesn't fit into that?
- if AP dictates the vision, is Tom Telesco on board with that?
- How do they think they can get the guys and develop the guys that fit into that old school raider mold?
(let's be honest a first round talent is most of the time more well-rounded and fit better in different schemes than day 2 or 3 guys, who are limited in certain areas but can fit a certain role)

You're keying in on an AP identity issue, and you're spot on. 

He says he wants smashmouth, gritty football. He goes after more finesse offensive coordinators. 

The Raiders identity is said to be smashmouth, hard hitting, run the rock. We hire Telesco, who, whether you like him or not, that's not what the Chargers were trying to build, especially on offense. 

The tone of this squad seems to be not having a tone. Not one that's actually followed, at least. It reminds me of the old Madden 06 days where you hired a HC but also OC and DC. I think they had some minimal impact on your roster, but that was sorta it. Wind up with Bill Belichik's avatar ad HC, Monte Kiffin as DC, and Mike Shanahan as OC. Sounds dreamy, right? Looks solid on paper. But those are very different philosophies all over the place and there's not a real identity. I feel like that's where we're currently at, and it's a square peg/round hole thing top to bottom. 

• Like 1

JPJ looked pretty damned good for a kid with saucer eyes to start. His health is all I'm worried about there.

DJ Glaze didn't **** the bed over there at RT either.

Lot's to work on of course, because....rookie, he gave up a sack, missed a swap, had an anchor issue, looked a little lost in the run game once, you know,...a rookie. He didn't look like he was in the deep end of the pool, just fresh off the truck. My passing perspective was that the vast majority of his snaps were quiet.

I know they wanted to stagger the rookies, but maybe keep Parham at LG and swing Munford to let BOTH tackles have plays off for physical and mental recovery and coaching? And let's BUILD instead of scrambling **** (lineup and scheme) up.

Just a though.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Ignore Sanjit's hyperbole, but he looks smooth and strong in these clips. His anchor is really good you don't see him getting moved back at all. Let's see how he does against real competition.

Wish he could've gone against Derrick Brown to get more of an early test as opposed to... whatever the rest of that DL is lol but yeah he looks solid here. Feels like he has some of those center tendencies still, scanning the whole line after getting his initial block and that recovery on 91 at 0:46 was good. I'm jealous I wish the Titans had drafted him to replace Aaron Brewer at center but good on yall for picking him up. Looks like you got some solid early picks with him and Bowers! Good luck to yall the rest of the season 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

To be fair, the defense played great the first 2 weeks. Maxx being hobbled week 3 really exposed the fact that without a pass rush, the secondary is not very good. Especially at safety. 

Easy to be prisoners of the moment. The defense will bounce back. If Watson has a field day, then we panic. 

Agree with AP/Getsy being around to groom a young QB. Nor do I think AP gets a mulligan to hire a new offensive staff. 

We need to hire Bobby Slowik and draft a QB

On 9/23/2024 at 11:03 AM, Jerry said:

Kerry Collins, M. Tui, and Randy Moss.  I would assume those are the 3 you're talking about.

Worse. Aaron Brooks and Andrew Walter. That was my first year as a full fledged Raider fan. This team hasn’t had worse seasons from a W/L perspective but man has it been rough monkey’s paw experience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Great post we need oline help so hopefully we can see more

Just so long as he replaces Whitehair and not Parham, who has been comfortably our best olineman.

I think I read that Parham has graded out as one of the top guards to start the season.

Does anyone know if he was replaced due to injury? He did have a knock in the week

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

AP has zero coordinator experience or any meaningful NFL coaching experience that points to him being a good coach or worth giving an extended chance too. The appeal of AP was that he is a motivator and that the defense played better after he took over. (Completely ignoring that we played a bunch of backups)

The team hasn't looked motivated and the defense has been pretty damn bad against better competition. Ideally you get a young QB next off-season, I have zero faith in AP / Getsy to steer him the right way. Better to cut your losses then to continue to have blind faith in a coach that has literally proven nothing and has a losing record with the current team. 

To be fair I don’t think you can honestly say ‘blind faith’. AP got results last year and won a couple big games. There’s plenty of doubt sure, and he has plenty to prove but he did find some success against the likes of Mahomes who is the unquestioned best QB in the league plus also against Jackson who is a legitimate star QB. AP has proven he can beat any team but also lose to any team thus far.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

JPJ doesn’tactually look like anything yet. He's played 21 total snaps. Let's stick to reality instead of fantasy booking more 2 TE sets and using a TE as a RB, FB, TE, and WR which don't, unsurprisingly, come to pass. 

I don’t think in the context of what BP was saying it matters if JPJ amounts to anything or not. The point was regarding ‘neglecting the OLine’ and even if JPJ busts hard, we used a 2nd and 3rd round pick on the OLine so we didn’t neglect it at all and put two high picks into it.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Just so long as he replaces Whitehair and not Parham, who has been comfortably our best olineman.

I think I read that Parham has graded out as one of the top guards to start the season.

Does anyone know if he was replaced due to injury? He did have a knock in the week

I thought Parham had an injury hence why JPJ went in at RG, not 100% though 🙂

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I don’t think in the context of what BP was saying it matters if JPJ amounts to anything or not. The point was regarding ‘neglecting the OLine’ and even if JPJ busts hard, we used a 2nd and 3rd round pick on the OLine so we didn’t neglect it at all and put two high picks into it.

2nd and 3rd rounders are questionable picks. 1st rounders are solid gold starters if you draft correctly imo