Our Offensive Guards

Madmike90

I have been looking at potential moves under a new head coach and you have to wonder what the plan is at the OG position...you have Josh Sitton who has played well but been banged up all season going into 2018 will be 32 years old and making $7.9 million next season...Kyle Long has even more injury issues where he has just had neck surgery and could require two more surgeries this offseason will be 30 years old and making $7.34 million next season...having over $15 million wrapped up on two banged up 30+ guards doesn't seem like smart business specially when that money could be used to invest in younger talent who can grow with Trubisky...add in the fact that guard is more than likely Whitehair's best position and that the FA centre class is far better and deeper than the guard class and you wonder if we move on from one if not both...question is who do you keep?

Lets say Long has a 2016 Fuller season, injuries just don't heal in the normal time and he is out for the year.

I'm clearly not a Massie fan... at all... but I feel like he could be a better OG than OT. There he can use his size and length and would not be eaten alive by speed like can can be on the outside.

Sign C in FA like Richburg, draft an OT in top two rounds.

Leno - Whitehair - Richburg - Massie - Rookie

In camp Massie could be in battle with Kush to be the swing guard, and at worst is a solid swing tackle for one more year. You also have Morgan redshirted and may double dip into a project OT who gets redshirted this year. When Massie gets tossed out in 2019, you have 2 years of development with Morgan, one with the 2nd OT drafted in this years draft, and an early round OT to have 2-3 starters from.

Leno - Whitehair - Richburg  holds down the left side while the early OT holds down the RT

Kush - Morgan - Redshirted OT fight for the RG spot.

I just hope Long heals well from his surgeries and owns the LG spot. A line of : Long - Richburg - Whitehair would be monstrous on the interior.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Sitton they could move on from if they grab a free agent C. I wouldn’t have an issue with that.

32 and banged up is a one way street.

The tricky thing is he is the 7th rank guard in football according to PFF...now that site doesn't mean much but he also passes the eyeball test...

I agree tho that at that age with such a big cap number it would be easy to move on from Sitton...if Long doesn't get healthy a move from him wouldn't shock me at all...no matter how good a player you are if you can't get on the field you are useless.

I think we may be adding moves that are not necessary. Yes Long and Sitton are over 30 but when healthy have performed. Also we are developing Kush and Morgan who I believe will become above average OGs. Adding a Center in the draft middle rounds would be prudent for development but cutting guys that still perform and creating more holes, doesn't seem the way to use draft picks or FA $. Use it on Edge rushers, WRs, ROT, Dline interior and CBs.

58 minutes ago, RTD said:

I think we may be adding moves that are not necessary. Yes Long and Sitton are over 30 but when healthy have performed. Also we are developing Kush and Morgan who I believe will become above average OGs. Adding a Center in the draft middle rounds would be prudent for development but cutting guys that still perform and creating more holes, doesn't seem the way to use draft picks or FA $. Use it on Edge rushers, WRs, ROT, Dline interior and CBs.

Agreed... I think Whitehair is a solid NFL C and shouldn't be moved around. I like Kyle Long at RG, and I think Morgan/Kush can battle for the LG spot and we can draft someone as depth.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Agreed... I think Whitehair is a solid NFL C and shouldn't be moved around. I like Kyle Long at RG, and I think Morgan/Kush can battle for the LG spot and we can draft someone as depth.

You could argue it’s been as big an issue on the interior OL this year that all of our depth got hurt in the preseason (namely Morgan and Kush) as it’s been that the starting guards got hurt during the year. All of those guys will be healthy again heading into TC. How many teams have their top FOUR guards get hurt in the same season? 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

We need much improved depth. Compton and Sowell are hot trash.

I like Kush, but that is a horrible injury for a big man. Career threatening sometimes.

Morgan is a complete unknown.

Give me another 4th round OG/C and I would feel better long term.

I’d like to go in ideally at least as prepared as last year at the position. We went into TC in July with 2 pro bowl pedigree starters and experienced depth, PLUS a rookie mid-rounder at the spot. We were as well prepared as can reasonably be expected but EVERYTHING went wrong at the position. 

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’d like to go in ideally at least as prepared as last year at the position. We went into TC in July with 2 pro bowl pedigree starters and experienced depth, PLUS a rookie mid-rounder at the spot. We were as well prepared as can reasonably be expected but EVERYTHING went wrong at the position. 

I am not looking to invest big at Sittons spot. Ideally Morgan or a 4th round pick this season can take over in 2019 when Sitton’s deal is up.

Because after next year we can extend Whitehair. That is going to be 9-10/year and if we already have another 9 million/free agent that is a lot of money at interior OL.

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am not looking to invest big at Sittons spot. Ideally Morgan or a 4th round pick this season can take over in 2019 when Sitton’s deal is up.

Because after next year we can extend Whitehair. That is going to be 9-10/year and if we already have another 9 million/free agent that is a lot of money at interior OL.

I meant as far as depth, not cost. We can carry Sitton or not, but come 2019 I agree we can’t be playing top dollar to every OL spot. That’s just not feasible. 

Archived