Week 4 GDT - Denver at New York Jets

AnAngryAmerican

34 minutes ago, rcpbawler said:

If you didn't like Bo Nix the prospect (a lot of people didn't, particularly in the first round) then you're going to use the bad performances as confirmation bias. He was pretty awful, weather aside, and you can't expect to win games like that on a consistent basis. 

I personally would throw yesterdays game out the window and hope to get back on track with two upcoming divisional foes at home.

I totally agree with all of this, with the caveat that Bo needs to have a think about what he's going to change if that bad weather game occurs again. It's quite clear he doesn't have the physical traits to not change anything, so gloves would seem the obvious thing to at least try.

• Like 5

The best part about yesterday’s win is that even with A-Rod you can see how much having Nathaniel Hackett as OC limits any O.     NGL a second W over us by Hackett would have been tough to swallow.   

Don’t get me wrong - that weather was so bad both O’s will get a pass.  But it’s abundantly clear not much has changed - still vanilla scheme / play calling, still zero adjustments or adaptability in-game.   

On the flip side VJ gets a ton of respect.    His ability to mix and mask what he’s doing is stunning.   

• Like 3

As for Bo - I’ve already stated my concern that he’s capped ceiling wise.    Yesterday wasn’t going to be a fair test though.   

Having said that, going forward on O - it’s looking pretty rough.   Losing Badie hurts.   Hope he’s ok.    Hopefully Estime can come off IR (phantom?) and help.    The skill positions really need a boost.   And for God’s sake let’s try Lucas Krull at TE.    No guarantees but you know what you don't have with Dulcich.  

Still it’s a W.   Just we need juice on O so badly.    The present rotation at RB/TE going to get it done, might as well find out if the rookie / 2nd year guys can play.     I expect we’ll see more of Mims & Franklin as the season progresses at WR.    Hopefully the same applies to Estime & Krull.    Not that they are locks but we might as well see what they can bring to the table.  

• Like 1

That was an atrocious performance by both offenses by any standard. That said, thrilled to get a win and our defense is absolutely filthy. Vance Joseph is going to quickly ingratiate himself with Broncos Country once again if he hasn't already. We made Rodgers look pedestrian after a week where he looked extremely good. 

Offensively, not a lot to love with Nix's performance other than the fact that he kept things clean with turnovers. Bizarre game, and clearly the weather and the ball were not comfortable for him, which is a bit surprising. 

I am holding back on my assessment of Bo until this next stretch of games. Going up against SEA (away), PIT (home), TB (away), NYJ (away), and those defenses, is not an easy task for a rookie and those teams/environments are among the hardest to play against in the league. I am much more interested in how he plays against the Raiders this week at home. Should be a good tell on where he's at right now. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

This week we're going to read a lot of mocking of Bo Nix, and some of it is legit. The stats are horrendous; barely any completions beyond the LOS, Sutton having more receiving yards than Bo had passing yards (lol), etc. It wasn't good at all. 

... But ... He didn't LOSE us the game. No INTs, no fumbles, and yet again - zero sacks. How many rookie QBs in the history of the NFL have had zero sacks in two road games back to back within their first 5 games in the league? Field position isn't a sexy thing to talk about (unless you are Bill Belichick) but it was a huge factor in this game. We didn't lose silly yardage in chunks with sacks, or risk sack fumbles.

The Defense won this game - that is a fact. I just think we need to brush off / laugh with the criticism that will come, and be more judging of the games to come as opposed to this one.

Matt Ryan on the CBS post-game show: "for rookie QBs, it's very important that they learn how to not lose games before they learn how to win them".

I could've saved myself some words by just wording it that way. Perfectly said.

• Like 2

So being honest, I just don't watch the games anymore...it's been a rough stretch. I read articles, watch highlights, pop in this forum, and usually follow each game on my ESPN app. It appears I might have to start watching again and that's exciting. I hope Bo and the offense start putting something together. I doesn't need to be much but we need more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I totally agree with all of this, with the caveat that Bo needs to have a think about what he's going to change if that bad weather game occurs again. It's quite clear he doesn't have the physical traits to not change anything, so gloves would seem the obvious thing to at least try.

I wonder why a QB wouldn't always wear a glove... I'm going to do some googling and see if anyone has every talked about it. I would imagine the stickyness of the glove would only help, the way glues and tar help a pitcher in baseball. 

• Like 1

For a team that has made so many terrible roster decision in recent years, the decision to let Dre'Mont Jones walk and sign Zach Allen was an absolute masterstroke.

You can make an argument Zach Allen is the best interior Lineman in all of football right now; that's how good he is playing.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

For a team that has made so many terrible roster decision in recent years, the decision to let Dre'Mont Jones walk and sign Zach Allen was an absolute masterstroke.

You can make an argument Zach Allen is the best interior Lineman in all of football right now; that's how good he is playing.

All the top D’s have at least 1 if not 2 interior disrupters right now.    We still lack depth but it’s encouraging to see us win at the point of attack with the D.   This is the sustainable path to success.  

I was one of many skeptics with the VJ hire (no way we could keep Evero though given his friendship with Hackett).    But aside from VJ’s growth as a DC him bring tight with Zach Allen might be the biggest boon we got from that signing.  No doubt it played a part in that signing.   

I rail against 3rd contracts in FA unless a team is one player away.   But the ascending-player 2nd contract is one area you can hit gold.    He clearly learned a lot playing with JJ Watt in ARI.    

I’d give the nod to Chris Jones as top of the pile but given age / career level there’s no better IDL to have a team right now.  

Edited by Broncofan

19 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I wonder why a QB wouldn't always wear a glove... I'm going to do some googling and see if anyone has every talked about it. I would imagine the stickyness of the glove would only help, the way glues and tar help a pitcher in baseball. 

In some ways I get it. Though I haven't played football, I used to play a crapton of basketball middle school through college and there is a certain touch that you get with bare fingers on the ball. Obviously it's a bit different but I had to wear a wristbrace with glove component at one time and it largely affected the feel of the ball and it was much harder to get spin on it and just control in general. 

That said, at one point in the broadcast, they zoomed in on his hands which were rubbed raw and all red from leather in the rain. I've also had this happen in street pickup games and it completely wrecks your hands to the point where you lose most grip anyway + it's painful. At that point I don't know why he wouldn't have at least tried one. Rodgers didn't either and he was dirting balls all over the place so long-story short, I'm pretty sure these guys just feel more in control of the ball with bare fingertips.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

In some ways I get it. Though I haven't played football, I used to play a crapton of basketball middle school through college and there is a certain touch that you get with bare fingers on the ball. Obviously it's a bit different but I had to wear a wristbrace with glove component at one time and it largely affected the feel of the ball and it was much harder to get spin on it and just control in general. 

That said, at one point in the broadcast, they zoomed in on his hands which were rubbed raw and all red from leather in the rain. I've also had this happen in street pickup games and it completely wrecks your hands to the point where you lose most grip anyway + it's painful. At that point I don't know why he wouldn't have at least tried one. Rodgers didn't either and he was dirting balls all over the place so long-story short, I'm pretty sure these guys just feel more in control of the ball with bare fingertips.

Yeah, that's what i've been able to find online so far. With a glove you end up trading some touch for the grip. I feel like that has more to do with lack of reps and experience with a glove than the gloves themselves though. Big Ben wore gloves, Peyton did his last few years, Kurt Warner did, and Matt Ryan did in his MVP year. I'd be curious if and how much of an advantage it would be for someone who wears gloves all during college and into the NFL. Other examples are obviously Teddy Two Gloves and Kenny Pickett but I think they tend to wear them for the grip given they have smaller hands. 

Fact that Badie apparently had motor symptoms on sidelines after walking off suggests it’s a spinal injury vs concussion.    But thankfully likely not severe since he was allowed to fly back (separate flight from team obv).    Sounds like IR coming.    Glad he’s ok.   

Given that Estime can come off IR after next game I think he’ll get a long look when he’s back.   

Edited by Broncofan

5 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I didn’t get to watch the game because I was at work but found this interesting:

did you guys notice PS2 getting a few offensive snaps?

He was the safety guy during kneel downs to end the game. 

There has been a ton of praise for Zach Allen, but I need to add another shout out. It's incredible he played 100% of the plays. That's ridiculous. 

• Like 2