Falcons vs Saints Rd 2. Penalty or no Penalty?

freeman+coleman

Just now, ckoz24 said:

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck chances are it's a duck.

If Warren Buffet, Carl Icahn and Benjamin Graham tell me to invest in a stock, I'd probably bet on him than the crazy guy on the corner telling me that Blockbuster is making a comeback and to invest early. 

I've seen many times on this board where there are one or two people fighting the mob, and those people end up being right. People like the comfort of the consensus. 

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I've seen many times on this board where there are one or two people fighting the mob, and those people end up being right. People like the comfort of the consensus. 

Which is true in some situations, not this one. Lattimores presence is a huge reason the Saints defense went from a yearly joke to an above average unit this year.

Robert Alford aint making anything above average except opposing WRs.

16 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Saints play at cornerback is the primary reason the unit isn't historically bad anymore, and it's actually pretty dang good.  It's not the LBs, it's not Cam Jordan who was playing extremely well even on the historically bad teams, it's the fact that opposing receivers don't get to jog into the end zone whenever they want to anymore.

If you want to say Lattimore is relying more on his physical attributes than technique, I won't argue, but he's not been an average corner.  And he's a rookie, the technique will get better, and if it doesn't he'll probably have a short career.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I don't think he pushed him down. It looks to me like Julio fell down because Lattimore's foot tripped him. However, the contact preceding the tangling of the feet was definitely DPI.

Sometimes, that one fan is right.

Sometimes that one “fan” has been getting paid to write about football the last half decade and currently writes for USA Today on the subject and watches a good bit more film than the message board does. I like Lattimore. I also think Alford is a top 15 corner in the NFL. But I get called a homer for that kindness of take. 

Just now, scar988 said:

Sometimes that one “fan” has been getting paid to write about football the last half decade and currently writes for USA Today on the subject and watches a good bit more film than the message board does. I like Lattimore. I also think Alford is a top 15 corner in the NFL. But I get called a homer for that kindness of take. 

Let's not start with the "I get paid to write about football, so my opinion is superior" argument. It never goes over well. Unfortunately, pushing back against the consensus opinion will always be a PITA. It's very clear that you're watching film. You may or may not be correct. I haven't reviewed Lattimore's All-22 film. I just figured I'd point out the fallaciousness of the "it's you against the world" logic.

44 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Which is true in some situations, not this one. Lattimores presence is a huge reason the Saints defense went from a yearly joke to an above average unit this year.

Robert Alford aint making anything above average except opposing WRs.

Alford sees primarily No 2 wide receivers and he limits them to the 10th least amount of yards of any No 2 corner. He also registers an average of two interceptions a year and continually is excellent in run support. Me calling him Robert Alford isn’t a bad thing. The issue is that y’all can’t accept that Lattimore is a slightly above average corner at this point in his career. Just like what Alford was as a rookie. And as he continues to learn how t not rip off defenses to coverages and play with technique and stop grabbing people blatently, he’ll be a top 10 corner because he’s Alford with the one thing Alford doesn’t have... size. 

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

A lot of people get paid to write a lot of things, and you can find wildly different viewpoints among all of them.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Let's not start with the "I get paid to write about football, so my opinion is superior" argument. It never goes over well. Unfortunately, pushing back against the consensus opinion will always be a PITA. It's very clear that you're watching film. You may or may not be correct. I haven't reviewed Lattimore's All-22 film. I just figured I'd point out the fallaciousness of the "it's you against the world" logic.

Not saying my opinion is superior. I’m saying it’s based on research and not other people’s opinions. It’s what I see on film. Whether Saints fans want to agree with it or not is whatever. I’d also say the reason why the Saints defense is better as a whole is a vastly improved defensively line from what they had last year. Way better at creating pressure and forcing one on ones for their top defensive linemen in Rankins and Jordan. 

I just find it ironic that Falcons fans on Twitter are talking about how this game was the worst officiated game they've ever seen as if they didn't just benefit from what may have been the worst officiated game they've ever seen two weeks prior. I had no issue with the Falcons getting screwed in that game because the Saints were screwed just two weeks earlier and Falcons fans turned their nose up at it as if the officiating had no impact on the game.

6 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

I just find it ironic that Falcons fans on Twitter are talking about how this game was the worst officiated game they've ever seen as if they didn't just benefit from what may have been the worst officiated game they've ever seen two weeks prior. I had no issue with the Falcons getting screwed in that game because the Saints were screwed just two weeks earlier and Falcons fans turned their nose up at it as if the officiating had no impact on the game.

The difference is the first game, the officials were consistent in their calls. The falcons adjusted. The Saints didn’t. And the refs there weren’t completely ignoring calls against the Falcons the way these refs completely ignored multiple calls against the Saints. 

2 minutes ago, scar988 said:

The difference is the first game, the officials were consistent in their calls. The falcons adjusted. The Saints didn’t. And the refs there weren’t completely ignoring calls against the Falcons the way these refs completely ignored multiple calls against the Saints. 

No, the Falcons didn't adjust and no it wasn't a lack of Saints adjusting. The Falcons got a season high (for any team) 9 first downs via penalty that game, which, IIRC, was more than they got on their own accord. There were multiple 3rd downs that were mysteriously aided by the Refs. And the topper was the fact that Payton got flagged for attempting to call a timeout as the refs blatantly chose to ignore him.

Sorry, as an unbiased party who supposedly hates both of these teams, the Saints are the better of the two, were screwed in the first game, and got help in the second game and the Falcons should be happy for that because in properly officiated games I think the Saints go 2-0.

6 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

No, the Falcons didn't adjust and no it wasn't a lack of Saints adjusting. The Falcons got a season high (for any team) 9 first downs via penalty that game, which, IIRC, was more than they got on their own accord. There were multiple 3rd downs that were mysteriously aided by the Refs. And the topper was the fact that Payton got flagged for attempting to call a timeout as the refs blatantly chose to ignore him.

Sorry, as an unbiased party who supposedly hates both of these teams, the Saints are the better of the two, were screwed in the first game, and got help in the second game and the Falcons should be happy for that because in properly officiated games I think the Saints go 2-0.

And that’s funny. Because I think in properly officiated games, the Falcons go 2-0. The Saints got multiple no-calls in the first game too. Like Lattimore holding Julio on his INT or Marcus Williams interfering on his INT. Or in the second game, the Julio tD actually being called right. 

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

And that’s funny. Because I think in properly officiated games, the Falcons go 2-0. The Saints got multiple no-calls in the first game too. Like Lattimore holding Julio on his INT or Marcus Williams interfering on his INT. Or in the second game, the Julio tD actually being called right. 

The issue is you're biased and no matter how much you try and claim you're not biased, you are.

For example, claiming DPI on the Julio Interception when it occurred within 5 yards of the LoS.

5 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

The issue is you're biased and no matter how much you try and claim you're not biased, you are.

For example, claiming DPI on the Julio Interception when it occurred within 5 yards of the LoS.

DPI is called within 5 yards of the LOS.

Just now, jrry32 said:

DPI is called within 5 yards of the LOS.

My point is that it wasn't DPI. The ball wasn't in the air, Lattimore jammed Julio and Julio couldn't get off said jam within the 5 yard route. Lattimore let's go, Ryan forces it in, Lattimore picks pass and runs some 15 yards, Julio levels him. If Falcons fans wanted a penalty it was Defensive Holding but it was within 5 yards.

Archived