Falcons vs Saints Rd 2. Penalty or no Penalty?

freeman+coleman

8 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I mean his tell whether he's in man or zone is way too obvious. It's literally the depth he plays at. He lets the whole opposing team know what coverage they are seeing. And much like Robert Alford early in Rocky's career, he's easy to beat in a one-on-one situation and gets way too grabby as he's playing. He doesn't get called nearly as much as Rocky did, but he's way more grabby as a corner than Rocky was as a rookie. That will hurt him in the long run. Especially as DPI gets re-defined this coming offseason.

Yea ok, you haven't watched him play.  The Atlanta game was probably his worst of the season.  And that's no surprise, considering he's a rookie and tasked with covering the arguable #1 or #2 WR in the NFL.

17 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

And that makes him just not that good? I understand criticism of certain aspects of his game, but how many games have you watched this year? I don't know how you could come away from the season he's had and say he's not that good.

If you're judging him based on 2 games against one of the best players in the NFL (one of those games he was coming back from 3 weeks off due to an ankle injury), well, that's just a poor assessment on a limited and unique sample size. 

It makes him grabby and someone with awful technique. And this is through 8 games I've watched of him. IDK how he has so few penalties called against him. Dude is extremely grabby and needs to fix his technique before refs start calling him for penalty after penalty. He has great physical tools. But that's the only thing he has right now. No recognition of option routes. No recognition of when to break off certain coverages and switch. He's just super raw even still. Go watch some Robert Alford 2013 film. It's pretty much the same as current Lattimore film only Alford is a smaller dude.

16 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yea ok, you haven't watched him play.  The Atlanta game was probably his worst of the season.  And that's no surprise, considering he's a rookie and tasked with covering the arguable #1 or #2 WR in the NFL.

I've watched 8 of his games this year. Don't give me that bull****. He's solid, but right now, he's an average performing corner with great physical gifts that make him look better than he is to his hometown fans.

16 minutes ago, scar988 said:

And this is through 8 games I've watched of him. IDK how he has so few penalties called against him. Dude is extremely grabby and needs to fix his technique before refs start calling him for penalty after penalty.

Why aren't they flagging him? Are you certain they're all penalties?

And if they don't call the penalties, has he mastered the art of physical coverage already?

16 minutes ago, scar988 said:

He has great physical tools. But that's the only thing he has right now. No recognition of option routes. No recognition of when to break off certain coverages and switch.

And still somehow nearly unanimously a top 10 CB by every other person I've heard comment on him.

He went on a several game-streak this season where you were better off throwing the ball away than to his guy. You don't do that if physical tools is all you have. You don't pick off 5 passes as a rookie while missing 3 games (he played 6 snaps vs Wash) if all you have is physical tools. He's one of the best tacklers on the team and even when he's not making the tackle, he consistently puts himself in position to slow down runners. That's understanding how to use your body and playing smart football, it has nothing to do with his physical tools. 

I really just don't agree with any aspect of your assessment, other than his struggles in zone. He's grabby, but if they're not calling it he's obviously not TOO grabby. That part of your argument really only holds up if the flags start flying. 

25 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I've watched 8 of his games this year. Don't give me that bull****. He's solid, but right now, he's an average performing corner with great physical gifts that make him look better than he is to his hometown fans.

What a joke. He has been a great performing CB with great physical gifts. He has impressive numbers with 5 interceptions in 12 games, 17 passes defensed, 1 touchdown, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery, and 0 touchdowns given up. He has a 90.5 PFF Grade (Elite), which is one of the best grades for all CB's this season. On top of all of that, he has been outstanding in man coverage throughout the season, and has been mirroring WR's as well as any rookie CB I've seen in recent memory. Here's a good breakdown from about a month ago of what Lattimore has been doing this season:

31 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Just wanted to clarify, I'm 99% sure this only applies to man coverage. 

If I'm not mistaken the only time he had one potentially on him in Zone Coverage was week 1 vs the Vikings. I was at that game and remember from my perspective (In the endzone front row) the safety seemed to be late covering Rudolph as Lattimore was forced to key in on the RB that was running a route out of the backfield. Regardless it was a great throw by Bradford.

I've never seen a fan base be as consistently salty as the Saints fans are when someone says anything negative (or even just not overwhelmingly positive) about Marshon Lattimore. It's like a barrage of Saints fans aggressively going after said poster s in just about any thread he's half relevant in. Is there's a Bat-Shon symbol that shines in the night sky when these posts are made?

2 hours ago, RuralBill said:

I've never seen a fan base be as consistently salty as the Saints fans are when someone says anything negative (or even just not overwhelmingly positive) about Marshon Lattimore. It's like a barrage of Saints fans aggressively going after said poster s in just about any thread he's half relevant in. Is there's a Bat-Shon symbol that shines in the night sky when these posts are made?

I mean, to be fair, this is like someone coming in and saying Xavier Rhodes is playing average this season. I'm sure Vikings fans would be up in arms as well... but you know this. Vikings fans talking about salt when they all STILL hate the Saints because of a loss in 09 is glorious.

My own eye test says Lattimore is an elite corner and playing really well. Any single actual NFL analyst says he is. Coaches say he is. The general audience of fans say he is. Numbers say he is. Even PFF says he is lol. But one random Falcons fan says he is 2013 Robert Alford. Hmm, not sure which one to believe. He deserves "salt", it's such an outlandish thing to say and especially sticks out because it's a Falcons fan saying it about a Saints player. 

13 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

I mean, to be fair, this is like someone coming in and saying Xavier Rhodes is playing average this season. I'm sure Vikings fans would be up in arms as well... but you know this. Vikings fans talking about salt when they all STILL hate the Saints because of a loss in 09 is glorious.

I love you MM. 

10 hours ago, scar988 said:

I did. He didn't flop.

Lattimore pulled up even to Julio, wrapped his arms around him, then pushed him down. It's clear as day. If you can't see that, you're being a true Homer here.

I don't think he pushed him down. It looks to me like Julio fell down because Lattimore's foot tripped him. However, the contact preceding the tangling of the feet was definitely DPI.

19 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

My own eye test says Lattimore is an elite corner and playing really well. Any single actual NFL analyst says he is. Coaches say he is. The general audience of fans say he is. Numbers say he is. Even PFF says he is lol. But one random Falcons fan says he is 2013 Robert Alford. Hmm, not sure which one to believe. He deserves "salt", it's such an outlandish thing to say and especially sticks out because it's a Falcons fan saying it about a Saints player. 

Sometimes, that one fan is right.

36 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

I love you MM. 

Exactly! 

18 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Sometimes, that one fan is right.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck chances are it's a duck.

If Warren Buffet, Carl Icahn and Benjamin Graham tell me to invest in a stock, I'd probably bet on him than the crazy guy on the corner telling me that Blockbuster is making a comeback and to invest early. 

Archived