Falcons vs Saints Rd 2. Penalty or no Penalty?

freeman+coleman

You really made a thread about this game? I thought the officiating was poor, but that's not why Atlanta lost the game. They just didn't play well in the redzone, and couldn't stop the Saints on enough drives. Some of the penalties were bull, but compared to the first game this wasn't too bad. 

The missed DPI and the personal foul on Freeman were the only two that were shaky. The picked up DPI could go either way. I thought Julio stumbled and put both of them in a bad spot, and then the officials called it uncatchable. That one could've gone either way. 

16 hours ago, freeman+coleman said:

Look the Falcons got some ticky tacky calls in the first one, but you could argue that they were genuine penalties. This was probably the most bias game I have ever seen in my life regarding a Falcons vs Saints game. It was beyond ridiculous. 

They didn't get some ticky tack calls, they got a truck load of ticky tack calls, some of which took points off the board, and almost all of which resulted in first downs.  They also got the benefit of no calls all night.

Stop whining, you got waxed, and couldn't even score a single point in the first half.

10 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

They didn't get some ticky tack calls, they got a truck load of ticky tack calls, some of which took points off the board, and almost all of which resulted in first downs.  They also got the benefit of no calls all night.

Stop whining, you got waxed, and couldn't even score a single point in the first half.

The Falcons got screwed on some EGREGIOUS DPI calls that weren't made against Lattimore on key third downs. But not executing in goal to go situations is why they lost. That being said, it was a pretty poorly called game. If they are gonna be ticky-tack on the "unneccesary roughness" against Devonta Freeman or the "Facemask" on Freeman, they need to be just as ticky-tack on the Saints and call not just the two egregious DPIs, but the holds that were completely ignored against Vic and Clayborn, including one on the Ginn play where the RT had his hand all up in Clayborn's facemask. Issue isn't that calls were missed, it's that it was so lopsided towards the Saints in this game. 

And don't give me the whole first game BS. The Falcons didn't get away with the crazy stuff that hte Saints did. They also played a very disciplined game in the first one. The Saints were extremely undisciplined both games but were just caught in the first one. And that's an unbiased view. The first game also had multiple missed calls against the Saints for DPI (including a LAttimore INT and a Williams INT).

Oh yeah, and the Saints weren't screwed out of a clear touchdown that was caught in the end zone by referees that were either inept or paid off.

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

The Falcons got screwed on some EGREGIOUS DPI calls that weren't made against Lattimore on key third downs. But not executing in goal to go situations is why they lost. That being said, it was a pretty poorly called game. If they are gonna be ticky-tack on the "unneccesary roughness" against Devonta Freeman or the "Facemask" on Freeman, they need to be just as ticky-tack on the Saints and call not just the two egregious DPIs, but the holds that were completely ignored against Vic and Clayborn, including one on the Ginn play where the RT had his hand all up in Clayborn's facemask. Issue isn't that calls were missed, it's that it was so lopsided towards the Saints in this game. 

And don't give me the whole first game BS. The Falcons didn't get away with the crazy stuff that hte Saints did. They also played a very disciplined game in the first one. The Saints were extremely undisciplined both games but were just caught in the first one. And that's an unbiased view. The first game also had multiple missed calls against the Saints for DPI (including a LAttimore INT and a Williams INT).

Yea I will give you the whole first game BS.  The first game was BS.  And now Falcons fans want to complain?  That's not being unbiased, that's being biased.

And for the record, myself and many other Saints fans weren't complaining after the first game.  People aren't reading thoroughly enough if they think we were.  The thread about the ref playing for Atlanta wasn't even made by a Saints fan, and it's full of Saints fans arguing AGAINST it being the difference. 

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

Yea I will give you the whole first game BS.  The first game was BS.  And now Falcons fans want to complain?  That's not being unbiased, that's being biased.

And for the record, myself and many other Saints fans weren't complaining after the first game.  People aren't reading thoroughly enough if they think we were.  The thread about the ref playing for Atlanta wasn't even made by a Saints fan, and it's full of Saints fans arguing AGAINST it being the difference. 

The first game wasn't BS though. I went back and watched it. The defensive holds that were called were textbook. and they were egregious. That's why they were called.

The reason why the Saints lost the first game was because they couldn't capitalize on turnovers and because Brees misread Josh Hill's break.

The reason why the Falcons lost the second game was because they couldn't capitalize on two different goal-to-go situations—however, if you think that Julio non-Touchdown was called right, you're just being a homer.

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

I firmly said in the GDTs that I visited that the officiating was horrid in the 1st game and went all Atlanta's way and that if Matt Ryan wasn't doing his best to gives us the game it would've led to a blowout.  This game also wasn't officiated well, no doubt about it.  But if you say Sains fans can't complain about the 1st game, Falcons fans can't complain about the 2nd.  Or we can just agree the refs have done a horrible job in both games and hopefully if there is a 3rd game it will be called better.

4 minutes ago, scar988 said:

The first game wasn't BS though. I went back and watched it. The defensive holds that were called were textbook. and they were egregious. That's why they were called.

The reason why the Saints lost the first game was because they couldn't capitalize on turnovers and because Brees misread Josh Hill's break.

The reason why the Falcons lost the second game was because they couldn't capitalize on two different goal-to-go situations—however, if you think that Julio non-Touchdown was called right, you're just being a homer.

It was called right based on the call on the field.  I personally thought it was super close and would be decided based on when they thought he gained control of the ball and as the replays were super close I knew the call on the field would stand.  Also the non-call DPI with the Michael Thomas goalline pass while Lattimore got called for much less contact against Julio on the next series directly affected 4 points being added to the board as the Falcons weren't going to stop the Saints from getting a TD with 1st and goal at the 1 inch line.

1 minute ago, Raves said:

I firmly said in the GDTs that I visited that the officiating was horrid in the 1st game and went all Atlanta's way and that if Matt Ryan wasn't doing his best to gives us the game it would've led to a blowout.  This game also wasn't officiated well, no doubt about it.  But if you say Sains fans can't complain about the 1st game, Falcons fans can't complain about the 2nd.  Or we can just agree the refs have done a horrible job in both games and hopefully if there is a 3rd game it will be called better.

It wasn't horrid though. The Saints were extremely undisciplined in both games. They just got caught for it in the first game. That's the honest to gods truth. It was called consistently for both sides. The Saints just committed more penalties for what those refs were looking for. that's just how some games go.

This game, the Falcons played less disciplined, but the game wasn't called down the middle. Specifically the two calls on Devonta Freeman for unneccessary roughness and the facemask, and then the non-call of two egregious DPIs, including one where Lattimore literally pushed Julio down and the missed TD call. They all had effect on the game. And the game was called egregiously in favor of the Saints.

1 minute ago, Raves said:

It was called right based on the call on the field.  I personally thought it was super close and would be decided based on when they thought he gained control of the ball and as the replays were super close I knew the call on the field would stand.  Also the non-call DPI with the Michael Thomas goalline pass while Lattimore got called for much less contact against Julio on the next series directly affected 4 points being added to the board as the Falcons weren't going to stop the Saints from getting a TD with 1st and goal at the 1 inch line.

are you talking first game or second game?

Just now, scar988 said:

It wasn't horrid though. The Saints were extremely undisciplined in both games. They just got caught for it in the first game. That's the honest to gods truth. It was called consistently for both sides. The Saints just committed more penalties for what those refs were looking for. that's just how some games go.

This game, the Falcons played less disciplined, but the game wasn't called down the middle. Specifically the two calls on Devonta Freeman for unneccessary roughness and the facemask, and then the non-call of two egregious DPIs, including one where Lattimore literally pushed Julio down and the missed TD call. They all had effect on the game. And the game was called egregiously in favor of the Saints.

It was bad.  To think otherwise is to be a homer.

You can justify any call after the fact, that doesn't make it a good call.  If you call ticky tack for one team, you gotta call it for the other.  We've already been over this in detail in another thread.

Just now, scar988 said:

And the Falcons have consistently committed more penalties than they are called for.  Nearly every play I saw Cam Jordan getting held, I saw Falcons DBs grabbing onto our WRs, and not to mention Julio Jones with his push-offs when he doesn't get a pick play to get him free of Lattimore.  I agree the facemask call was weak, but I could actually see where that call came from, the Rankins RTP was weaker than the facemask call and directly lead to a drive that the Falcons scored on.  The pushed down by Julio looked like they were battling, lots of contact on both sides, and Julio did a great job of pulling off a soccer flop.  The TD, like I said would be based on the call on the field, if it was called a TD it would've stayed a TD, if it was just short, it stays just short, like it did.

2 minutes ago, scar988 said:

are you talking first game or second game?

The first game for the Michael Thomas play.

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

You can justify any call after the fact, that doesn't make it a good call.  If you call ticky tack for one team, you gotta call it for the other.  We've already been over this in detail in another thread.

Exactly.  We can at least admit that this game was poorly officiated as well, which we even did mention during the game in our GDT.

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

And in the first game, it was ticky-tack for both teams on certain types of calls, but not other types of calls. Defensive holding was called on both teams. Offensive holding and defensive holding made up 6 of the penalties on the Saints in the first game. Jsut 2 of Atlanta's. Atlanta was doing better of not holding as much. And they weren't ticky-tack defensive holds being called at all.

5 minutes ago, Raves said:

And the Falcons have consistently committed more penalties than they are called for.  Nearly every play I saw Cam Jordan getting held, I saw Falcons DBs grabbing onto our WRs, and not to mention Julio Jones with his push-offs when he doesn't get a pick play to get him free of Lattimore.  I agree the facemask call was weak, but I could actually see where that call came from, the Rankins RTP was weaker than the facemask call and directly lead to a drive that the Falcons scored on.  The pushed down by Julio looked like they were battling, lots of contact on both sides, and Julio did a great job of pulling off a soccer flop.  The TD, like I said would be based on the call on the field, if it was called a TD it would've stayed a TD, if it was just short, it stays just short, like it did.

No, the one where Julio got pushed down, he literally got thrown to the ground. It wasn't hand battling, it was Julio got pushed to the ground. I've gone back and watched that play 10 times already. It's ridiculous. And Lattimore just isn't that good. The Rankins RTP was due to the timing between the throw and the hit. It actually did fit the rule and I agreed at the time that it was a bad call. 

But this idea that Julio flopped... oy. Let's put it this way, Julio's never "flopped" in a game before. He's never really been thrown to the ground like that in a game before. So him "flopping" is ridiculous.

14 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Or if you think it was a touchdown...You're being a homer. 

Archived