Week 17: Dallas at Philly - Exhibition Game. Let's get this crap over with

WizardHawk

36 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

You guys don't want them to play? Winning at the end of the year can be big, just look at the way the Eagles ended last year and how it could have affected the current year. It isn't like losing is really going to help you much in the draft as is, and it is possible you win without them anyways.

I hear your point, but the last thing I want is to see someone get hurt.  I'll rest or limit the corps of my team and see what some of the backups can offer.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

You guys don't want them to play? Winning at the end of the year can be big, just look at the way the Eagles ended last year and how it could have affected the current year. It isn't like losing is really going to help you much in the draft as is, and it is possible you win without them anyways.

I don't agree.

We won a pointless game in Week 17 at Philly in 2010 against your backups, Garrett's year as the interim coach. Somehow that momentum did not carry over to anything of consequence for another four years.

Your team's not good this year because you won a stupid game with nothing to play for against our backups. Your team's good this year because your roster is as deep and talented as any team since Seattle's heyday.

Just now, matt79511 said:

I don't agree.

We won a pointless game in Week 17 at Philly in 2010 against your backups, Garrett's year as the interim coach. Somehow that momentum did not carry over to anything of consequence for another four years.

Your team's not good this year because you won a stupid game with nothing to play for against our backups. Your team's good this year because your roster is as deep and talented as any team since Seattle's heyday.

I don't think the bolded is remotely true, but I do agree we have a lot of talent in key areas.

I also disagree that saying winning games late in the year can't help to build a culture that breeds more winning in the future. The Cowboys aren't far off from being a good football team, if Zeke had played all 16 games this year it is highly likely you would be a playoff team. You need upgrades on defense and a WR to light some fire under the butts of the underperformers, but to act like the Cowboys aren't a year removed from a very good season (with a very similar roster)is silly. Sometimes a bit of confidence can change a whole lot, which imo is more important then a couple draft positions.

As far as injuries go, that is a coaching decision, but to me building a culture is the number one most important thing a HC can do.

16 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I don't think the bolded is remotely true, but I do agree we have a lot of talent in key areas.

I also disagree that saying winning games late in the year can't help to build a culture that breeds more winning in the future. The Cowboys aren't far off from being a good football team, if Zeke had played all 16 games this year it is highly likely you would be a playoff team. You need upgrades on defense and a WR to light some fire under the butts of the underperformers, but to act like the Cowboys aren't a year removed from a very good season (with a very similar roster)is silly. Sometimes a bit of confidence can change a whole lot, which imo is more important then a couple draft positions.

As far as injuries go, that is a coaching decision, but to me building a culture is the number one most important thing a HC can do.

Agree to disagree then. I think it sounds great in theory but there's not a strong correlation in practice. If anything Dallas is the perfect counterexample. 4 times in the last 10 years we've followed up a finish in the Final 8 with one outside of the playoffs entirely- like clockwork. It's almost like we're better off coming off a garbage season so we don't read our own press clippings or whatever.

So yeah, the culture is what it is. Only common elements in those 11 seasons are Jason Garrett and the Jones family.

4 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

For me, it has nothing to do with injuries, and everything to do with capitalizing on the benefits of having an exhibition game. I don't care if Dak gets hurt. Tear his ACL for all I care. He, like Wentz, would be ready to go by next year. It's 9 months away.

But what are the benefits of preseason? Evaluation of talent in a game like atmosphere, that would usually never get a chance to be evaluated. Not winning the games. If week 17 meant playoffs then a guy like Cooper Rush would never even sniff the field. Switzer wouldn't replace Beasley nor Noah Brown replace our #2.  But NOW they have an opportunity to get quality snaps and the team risks nothing. 

I understand what you're saying and I agree with you. In fact, I actually WANT to win. I just want to do it with young guys who haven't had a real opportunity. If Cooper Rush started and threw for 400 yards and 4 TDs, and Switzer went for 125 yards busting out some crazy sick moves from the slot position, and Noah Brown catches two fade TDs, then I think we benefit more as a roster than we would starting Dak and squeaking out a win against your backups.

34 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

No. I dont care if its losing to the Eagles. if we lose it helps our draft and hurts theres once they eventually get bounced from the playoffs. 

Yeah, I don't care. Dallas has done a great job of drafting in recent years. I am not going to stressed over a spot or two.

"The Dallas Cowboys quarterback is coming off a 181-yard passing game with two interceptions in a loss to the Seattle Seahawks. Prescott heard the talk of players sitting Week 17, but the second-year pro has no plans on missing Sunday's tilt versus this week. 

Yeah, I'm playing," Prescott said, via the Dallas Morning News. "It's important to me. I hope it's important to my teammates, this organization.

"I'll be damned if I'll finish the season with that performance last week. It's big for me to go in and finish this season, like I said, this team, this offense, the right way and the way we want to"

Should have been important to you last week. You should have said you'd be dammed before the Seattle game. It's to little to late to draw extra incentive. Last week's steaks were supposed to be the ultimate motivator, not this week. Sorry Dak, I love you but it's time to see if Rush can play in this league or not.

17 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

**SPOILER ALERT**

Rush is not your guy, friend.

He currently occupies the #2 QB position on the Dallas Cowboys. I want to see if he can play football before we head into the offseason. We don't even know if he can be the (imo uber important)backup QB. People want to bring in a vet for Dak or straight up competition. I would like to see what we would be getting rid of. So your spoiler doesn't ruin my already humble expectations.

Archived