2017 Packers Training Camp General Discussion

CWood21

Just now, PackyAttacky said:

Do you view this as a top ten group of corners? I am sticking by defensive prediction that I said on the defensive thread, 14-16th, with a bigger jump next year with King with a year under his belt. I love the dline going into the season, and I love the pass rushers,if they stay healthy, and I love the safeties, heck I am the only Jake Ryan fan on this board I think. I view the corners and pass rush depth as issue.

Compared to last year's corners?  Yeah.  I view this group of corners as better than any group of corners than the year we had Shields, Williams and Woodson at corner.  I feel like you're seriously underestimating Davon House, and I feel like you're seriously underestimating the fact that one or both of Rollins/Randall will turn in an exceptionally better year this year.  I legitimately see this secondary as being capable of leading the league in interceptions, and I think your doom and gloom regarding the cornerback situation is completely exaggerated and not based on anything real.

Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, Ladarious Gunter, Damarious Randall and more came to Green Bay with no right to have good seasons in their rookie years, and yet they did.  None of them looked good in the preseason, and all of them (considering their limitations) had strong rookie campaigns, and yet because of one preseason game, you're writing off King, who is on a team with a CB coach that is probably top five in the league in getting young corners ready early in their careers.

You have the right to not have confidence in the CBs that we have, but it's just a downright lie to suggest that our corners right now aren't wildly better than they were last year.

Don't know how you can even hope to say that the improvement wasn't that great when it was. 

23 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Are you going to acknowledge that our only healthy cornerback last year since the Falcons game in the regular season was Ladarious Gunter? 

Also, you really should stop complaining about how good the receivers we're going up against are.  Since all our corners got hurt last year (Falcons game):

T.Y. Hilton had 82 yards. 
Garcon had 116 yards and a TD. 
Jameison Crowder had 102 yards and a TD.
DeAndre Hopkins had 58 yards and a TD.
Deonte Thompson had 110 yards
Cameron Meredith had 104 yards
Adam Thielen had 202 yards and 2 TD. 
Beckham had 68 yards.

We struggled against crappy receivers, not great receivers. 

If you can't see the SIGNIFICANT difference between hurt Randall, hurt Rollins, Gunter/Hyde and healthy Rollins, healthy Randall, King, House and Gunter, you're going to have to go on my ignore list. 

When you start using the ignore list for an opinion like that, you're probably going to be talking to yourself in a matter of weeks. 

Just now, CentralFC said:

When you start using the ignore list for an opinion like that, you're probably going to be talking to yourself in a matter of weeks. 

I thought that was pretty obviously a joke, but even so, I talk to myself all the time. 

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Compared to last year's corners?  Yeah.  I view this group of corners as better than any group of corners than the year we had Shields, Williams and Woodson at corner.  I feel like you're seriously underestimating Davon House, and I feel like you're seriously underestimating the fact that one or both of Rollins/Randall will turn in an exceptionally better year this year.  I legitimately see this secondary as being capable of leading the league in interceptions, and I think your doom and gloom regarding the cornerback situation is completely exaggerated and not based on anything real.

Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, Ladarious Gunter, Damarious Randall and more came to Green Bay with no right to have good seasons in their rookie years, and yet they did.  None of them looked good in the preseason, and all of them (considering their limitations) had strong rookie campaigns, and yet because of one preseason game, you're writing off King, who is on a team with a CB coach that is probably top five in the league in getting young corners ready early in their careers.

You have the right to not have confidence in the CBs that we have, but it's just a downright lie to suggest that our corners right now aren't wildly better than they were last year.

Don't know how you can even hope to say that the improvement wasn't that great when it was. 

07: Harris, Tramon, and Woodson?

I am excited for King, just think next year or so, and goodness I hope you are right about the rest of the corners. They will be better than last year, I just am not thinking the side that you are.

1 minute ago, JBURGE25 said:

lol

I want to have good conversation, I hope he is right, I will gladly eat my crow as that is an easy Superbowl win for us. Early TC reports and the first game and the media reaction after the first game got me worried. The local announcer were talking about Rollins and how he still played too close and bit on double moves just like last year.

2 minutes ago, PackyAttacky said:

I want to have good conversation, I hope he is right, I will gladly eat my crow as that is an easy Superbowl win for us. Early TC reports and the first game and the media reaction after the first game got me worried. The local announcer were talking about Rollins and how he still played too close and bit on double moves just like last year.

I mean, what are you basing your standard off?  We're relying on a veteran corner corner (Davon House) and a slew of young corners to play well.  I'm not sure what kind of expectations you have if you think they're supposed to be a top-10 unit to start the season, especially given how poorly the position was going into the offseason.  They're going to take their lumps, that's just part of the position and dealing with young players.  But there's plenty of upside there and way too early to write them off.

Just now, PackyAttacky said:

Your issue right now is putting too much stock in preseason games.   Preseason is the time to look bad. 

Where do we expect RJF to play this season?  

If he starts to earn his keep, maybe he can free up Lowry to be more of a pure pass rush/datone jones type of role who plays on the edge early to spell Perry/Matthews and inside in the pressure package?

I think the dynamic of "1) is Dean lowry an impact rusher? and 2) if he is, does he have too much run responsibility to use it? "

is one of the most interesting things to me.

If RJF can spell Daniels and allow him to play more pressure, that might also be interesting.

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

That was crazy. 

Yeah and now I'm aware of Youtube's vast collection of NFL Primetime broadcasts from the early 2000s. And my Sunday afternoon is lost.

Really cool 15+ years later to see how good guys like Ed Reed, LT, etc. were.

And Chris and Tom were the best. 

Archived