2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t see the Jags moving on without Bortles quite yet. I think they give him another year and pick up his 5th year option to see how he does next season. I think the Bills stay with Tyrod. And I think there’s a good chance McCarron is an UFA. Maybe he goes to Cleveland and that shakes up the whole draft.

I really think the Bengals are done with Dalton, I don't see them cutting Dalton and not tagging McCarron. If McCarron hits FA then he'd be my #1 option outside of Cousins on a Glennon type deal. I'm not sure the Bills want Taylor to be the guy since they pulled him for Peterman but I think they should keep him.

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

Can't judge Baker on one night, but I agree with your point. Baker's 2017 season was great. For a QB needy team, he looks like a safe, worthy top 12 pick. Darnold, Rosen were on worse teams, but have higher potential as passers. Allen has more talent than all of them, but is also the most raw and most difficult to project.

Exactly why he needed to look good in this game. To show he can do it against a defense like UGA's on the big stage. We've seen bowl games kill stocks for QBs over the years, so I'm glad it didn't happen for Baker. 

I agree about the other QBs, but it doesn't always pan out like that in the draft order. Browns could like Baker more. Wouldn't be the craziest thing to happen in the draft. Baker looking good increases our shot at getting him or one of the other QBs he may be picked ahead of. 

2 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Exactly why he needed to look good in this game. To show he can do it against a defense like UGA's on the big stage. We've seen bowl games kill stocks for QBs over the years, so I'm glad it didn't happen for Baker. 

I agree about the other QBs, but it doesn't always pan out like that in the draft order. Browns could like Baker more. Wouldn't be the craziest thing to happen in the draft. Baker looking good increases our shot at getting him or one of the other QBs he may be picked ahead of. 

I think mid Round 1 is where Mayfield is worthy.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I think mid Round 1 is where Mayfield is worthy.

We may think that, but Baker's performance rises his stock. If he kills it during the draft process, his hype will grow. This wouldn't be the first time. Darnold not coming out would really help him out even more. 

I really like this QB class as long as Darnold and Rosen come out.  I think there are 5 legit 1st round talent level QBs among Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield and Jackson.  As long as we end up with one of them  - I prefer either Darnold, Rosen or Allen - then I think we will be moving in the right direction. 

21 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I agree. Like many recent drafts, this year is all about preference. It wouldn't shock me to see either of them be the 1st quarterback taken. Depends on your cup of tee. 

Just now, jetskid007 said:

I agree. Like many recent drafts, this year is all about preference. It wouldn't shock me to see either of them be the 1st quarterback taken. Depends on your cup of tee. 

Right, so that was my main reason for hoping Baker looked good. Either he can be our guy or someone like the Browns pick him and it bumps the others closer to us. 

After thinking about, if Darnold comes out. I want the #3 pick. Get one of the top QBs, then use the $80M+ & Cap Space to complete his surrounding and the wholes on defense. 

2 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Or if you believe Peter King's source, Josh Allen will be there guy ... http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13045/josh-allen

I don't believe anything this early, but it sounds like a lot of scouts have been linking John Dorsey to him of late... very possible that he was speaking very highly of Josh within the scouting community prior to being offered the Browns gig. 

2 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Right, so that was my main reason for hoping Baker looked good.

All I was trying to say is that this one game wasn't going to make-or-break his draft stock. He's consistently done everything teams want to see in a QB throughout the season, regardless of competition/conference/etc. His feet, his eyes, and decision making have been big positives. His arm strength is where it needs to be. I think he would've been a 1st round pick regardless of the outcome of tonight, but the big question that will remain is his ceiling. 

Baker is much like Deshaun Watson of this years draft. In hindsight people look a little stupid (albeit only a few games shouldn't define a career for better or worse), but many questioned what Deshaun's ceiling can be in the NFL and it was a fair assessment. There was a popular thought that Deshaun had maximized his potential in college, and I believe that same thought will linger around with Mayfield. 

3 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I don't believe anything this early, but it sounds like a lot of scouts have been linking John Dorsey to him of late... very possible that he was speaking very highly of Josh within the scouting community prior to being offered the Browns gig. 

All I was trying to say is that this one game wasn't going to make-or-break his draft stock. He's consistently done everything teams want to see in a QB throughout the season, regardless of competition/conference/etc. His feet, his eyes, and decision making have been big positives. His arm strength is where it needs to be. I think he would've been a 1st round pick regardless of the outcome of tonight, but the big question that will remain is his ceiling. 

Baker is much like Deshaun Watson of this years draft. In hindsight people look a little stupid (albeit only a few games shouldn't define a career for better or worse), but many questioned what Deshaun's ceiling can be in the NFL and it was a fair assessment. There was a popular thought that Deshaun had maximized his potential in college, and I believe that same thought will linger around with Mayfield. 

I agree that it shouldn't but it would have when you're being compared to QBs like Rosen, Allen, and Darnold. For him to have a shot at leaping one of them, Baker had to perform well tonight. We'll have to wait around combine time for people to see what I'm saying.  

11 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I agree that it shouldn't but it would have when you're being compared to QBs like Rosen, Allen, and Darnold. For him to have a shot at leaping one of them, Baker had to perform well tonight. We'll have to wait around combine time for people to see what I'm saying.  

He has to prove he’s not a punk during the pre draft process for starters to get GMs on board with him. And then they’ll dissect his skill level. I actually like his skill set. I just think he needs time to adjust to the nfl. Add his attitude and that’s why he’s not a top 6 pick imo

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He has to prove he’s not a punk during the pre draft process for starters to get GMs on board with him. And then they’ll dissect his skill level. I actually like his skill set. I just think he needs time to adjust to the nfl. Add his attitude and that’s why he’s not a top 6 pick imo

From everything I've read GMs don't have an issue with his attitude, kid is a passionate winner. If Winston can go #1 with all his off the field and maturity issues I can't see a reason Mayfield can't go top 10. His question marks are going to be his height and level of competition. I think he proved he could hang with Georgia today so some of the competition questions may simmer down. 

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

After thinking about, if Darnold comes out. I want the #3 pick. Get one of the top QBs, then use the $80M+ & Cap Space to complete his surrounding and the wholes on defense. 

If Darnold and Rosen come out then I could see us talking to Indy about what they are looking to get. I think the more likely scenario is trading with the Browns at 4 though. I think we could offer one of our 2nds to get their #4. Would be so sweet to see 1) Allen 2)Rosen 3) Chubb and then have to potential to land Darnold or Mayfield. If Darnold makes it to #3 I would be 100% on trading up with Indy.

3 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

From everything I've read GMs don't have an issue with his attitude, kid is a passionate winner. If Winston can go #1 with all his off the field and maturity issues I can't see a reason Mayfield can't go top 10. His question marks are going to be his height and level of competition. I think he proved he could hang with Georgia today so some of the competition questions may simmer down. 

If Darnold and Rosen come out then I could see us talking to Indy about what they are looking to get. I think the more likely scenario is trading with the Browns at 4 though. I think we could offer one of our 2nds to get their #4. Would be so sweet to see 1) Allen 2)Rosen 3) Chubb and then have to potential to land Darnold or Mayfield. If Darnold makes it to #3 I would be 100% on trading up with Indy.

I agree at the present time that is the move that seems to make the most sense. You can be sure other teams are going to try to do the same thing. What have we got to lose it is worth a try.

8 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Guess you turned your head to him slashing his throat in the game yesterday after a TD? It’s something like that every game with him.

Archived