2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

44 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I value Darnold more than Allen or Mayfield. I don’t see Mayfield or Allen as must have players worth trading up for and giving up big assets for. If they fall to 6 and we fill the trigger so be it. I still don’t like either of them, but atleast we didn’t give up a ton for them. Giving up our 2nd and next years 1st is a big trade and I don’t see the sense in doing that for either of those 2. I wouldn’t be happy if we traded up for Darnold but I wouldn’t hate it either. 

We're not walking away from the off-season without either a long-term starter in FA or in the draft.  Neither might make it to 6.  Zero chance Mac let's that happen. If McCown starts next year with no long-term plan at QB and the Jets don't play well, Mac and Bowles are gone.  Also, if we have to trade up to 3, it shouldn't cost much more in theory than a 2nd and either a 3rd or 4th.

It depends on what it would cost to trade up and for who. If he can pull it off with just 2 picks from this draft or 2 from this draft and a pick from next year, it might be worth it.

A story that is just as interesting is if we lose out on Cousins, who is the vet we should sign? Should he go for McCown? or a better option just in case his trade up plan doesn't work?

2 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

It depends on what it would cost to trade up and for who. If he can pull it off with just 2 picks from this draft or 2 from this draft and a pick from next year, it might be worth it.

A story that is just as interesting is if we lose out on Cousins, who is the vet we should sign? Should he go for McCown? or a better option just in case his trade up plan doesn't work?

I think the FA QB market is overrated personally.  Keenum will be overpaid, Teddy B. is a huge question mark, Bortles is erratic as all hell, Brees will likely go back to NO, Bradford's bodyguard might as well carry crutches around with him at all times, etc.

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

I think the FA QB market is overrated personally.  Keenum will be overpaid, Teddy B. is a huge question mark, Bortles is erratic as all hell, Brees will likely go back to NO, Bradford's bodyguard might as well carry crutches around with him at all times, etc.

There is still a decision to make. They are all risks. McCown has never completed a whole season and he's 38. But I'm thinking about Alex Smith or McCarron at the moment. 

With free agency starting before the draft and not sure what's going to happen in the draft, do you go for a guy like Alex/McCarron because you're not sure how the draft will play out? Or are you going to bring back McCown and believe the right QB will fall to you/Your trade up plan will work?

18 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

There is still a decision to make. They are all risks. McCown has never completed a whole season and he's 38. But I'm thinking about Alex Smith or McCarron at the moment. 

With free agency starting before the draft and not sure what's going to happen in the draft, do you go for a guy like Alex/McCarron because you're not sure how the draft will play out? Or are you going to bring back McCown and believe the right QB will fall to you/Your trade up plan will work?

The thing that scares me about McCarron is the price tag.  If he's going to get 15 mil+, he's not worth the risk.  If you told me, we could have him for say 3 years, 30 mil, I might take a chance and then draft a guy in the 3rd round or so.  With Smith, he'd be a great transition QB, but I wouldn't trade for him.  I'd be down if he gets cut though.  Either way, if I'm Mac, I take a swing at Cousins because that'd be ideal IMO.  If the price becomes outlandish, it's not worth it.  My fear is that some team is going to come along and throw a 5 year, 165+ mil deal at the guy like idiots. 

Smith will be traded for one of the Browns 3 second round picks and then they will take a QB at 1. My guess is it will be Allen or Darnold with his comments about Rosen. Either way if we don't get Cousins we'll have added $100M in FAs and likely won't need to worry about the price tag in draft picks. Ultimately I'd love Cousins, Jensen, and Norwell then add Key at #6 assuming Chubb goes before we pick. I'd then take Guice from LSU to be our RB at #37. If the Redskins put the transition tag on him I give us a 100% chance of getting Cousins. If they let him walk then I think it's 50-50 between us and Denver.

17 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Smith will be traded for one of the Browns 3 second round picks and then they will take a QB at 1. My guess is it will be Allen or Darnold with his comments about Rosen. Either way if we don't get Cousins we'll have added $100M in FAs and likely won't need to worry about the price tag in draft picks. Ultimately I'd love Cousins, Jensen, and Norwell then add Key at #6 assuming Chubb goes before we pick. I'd then take Guice from LSU to be our RB at #37. If the Redskins put the transition tag on him I give us a 100% chance of getting Cousins. If they let him walk then I think it's 50-50 between us and Denver.

That's my best guess as well with Smith.  Dorsey traded for him in KC.

This is how I see it.

Browns will not get Allen at 1. They are putting up smokescreens. They will go with Sam D. 

Giants will take Rosen

Colts will take Barkley

Browns will draft Chubb setting up two great pass rushers for them

Broncos will take Allen 

Jets will take BAKER MAYFIELD QB OKLAHOMA.

I just don't see a trade in the top 6. There are too many good QB in the draft and that is the only reason people move up. 

I personally like Mayfield because he has a very high completion % and a great TD to INT ratio. He is also a winner and plays with emotions. This is a guy that will come in and shock people how good he can be. He is another Drew Brees. The jets will then grab Orlando Brown with the 2nd round pick followed by Sam Hubbard Ohio st with the seahawks pick. The third round pick will be Jewell from Iowa. He will be the leader of the D in the middle. I also have a feeling that the jets sign Sheldon Richardson back. I think this would be great because we got Kearse and a second round pick to rent him to Seattle for half the season. 

Just now, jetfuel34 said:

This is how I see it.

Browns will not get Allen at 1. They are putting up smokescreens. They will go with Sam D. 

Giants will take Rosen

Colts will take Barkley

Broncos will take Allen 

I just don't see a trade in the top 6. There are too many good QB in the draft and that is the only reason people move up. 

I personally like Mayfield because he has a very high completion % and a great TD to INT ratio. He is also a winner and plays with emotions. This is a guy that will come in and shock people how good he can be. He is another Drew Brees. The jets will then grab Orlando Brown with the 2nd round pick followed by Sam Hubbard Ohio st with the seahawks pick. The third round pick will be Jewell from Iowa. He will be the leader of the D in the middle. I also have a feeling that the jets sign Sheldon Richardson back. I think this would be great because we got Kearse and a second round pick to rent him to Seattle for half the season. 

Sheldon won't be back.  Mac and Bowles are trying to build a culture.  It shows by the benching of Mo Wilk.  Sheldon does not fit that.

Just now, jetfuel34 said:

This is how I see it.

Giants will take Rosen

Colts will take Barkley

Broncos will take Allen 

Where does Cousins go in this scenario? Redskins won't put the exclusive tag on him so maybe the Bills?

5 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Sheldon won't be back.  Mac and Bowles are trying to build a culture.  It shows by the benching of Mo Wilk.  Sheldon does not fit that.

I think you are mistaken on why Sheldon was traded. We were afraid he'd ask for the moon and we'd be forced to let him walk. We had the opportunity to get a 2nd round pick and a WR to replace Enunwa. Sheldon had an argument with Marshall and we chose to cut Marshall after he asked for his release. My gut tells me Marshall was the match that lit the fire not Sheldon. Sheldon has been a moron in his own right but I expect a deal far cheaper than MO's with a similar out after year 2 when Williams will be up for a contract.

Everything is riding on the QB vet Market. Unless Chubb kills Alabama(I hope), I don't think he'll go that high. Macc has to worry about teams trading up in front, so sitting at 6 for the moment seems like a huge risk if we're looking for a potential early starter.

If the Browns do pull in another Vet, they might be willing to trade back one of those picks and wait for someone like Baker or Allen since they'll have to sit anyway.

Giants could end up drafting an LT if they strike out in the free agent market or trading back to land Allen as their future QB and use additional picks to fill in the oline gaps. 

Colts have the hot hand because they have their franchise QB. So they can trade back or run away with Barkley.

Broncos can sign Cousins and go any direction with their pick since they have a good surrounding already. May go defense to trade back and allow someone like the Bills or Cardinals jump in.

If we pull in Cousins, we can trade back as well and draft Nelson or a true pass rusher. Then use the additional picks to do whatever. Or we can trade into the top 3 and finally get our franchise Qb. So much can happen, but I can see AZ or the Broncos winning their pitches with Cousins and bringing him in. Browns getting Alex Smith makes a lot of sense. They have the picks and cap space to do it. They wouldn't want to wait for him to get cut and have options.

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

I think you are mistaken on why Sheldon was traded. We were afraid he'd ask for the moon and we'd be forced to let him walk. We had the opportunity to get a 2nd round pick and a WR to replace Enunwa. Sheldon had an argument with Marshall and we chose to cut Marshall after he asked for his release. My gut tells me Marshall was the match that lit the fire not Sheldon. Sheldon has been a moron in his own right but I expect a deal far cheaper than MO's with a similar out after year 2 when Williams will be up for a contract.

I know why he was traded bud, but I still don't think he'll be back.  I think we re-sign Cooper and add a d-lineman in the draft.

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

If we lose out on Cousins, then I think it should be Bridgewater > McCown > Bradford. I would sign one of those QBs to a one year deal. Non of them change the game plan come draft day. If a QB we like is there at 3 or 4, go get him. The reality is the Jets need 2 new QBs. As of now, we have Petty who needs to be cut. And we have Hack who is a 3rd string QB. 

Trade up for Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield at 4, sign as an example Bradford, and our QB situation looks much better. We can let our rookie QB sit for a year, while Bradford plays for a long-term contract. Bradford leaves and we let the rookie takeover. 

Archived