2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

I'd rather see us trade up and get Barkley at his rookie salary than trade #6 AND have to pay Bell.

That's not me saying I want us to trade up for Barkley. I'm just using that as an example as to what I'd prefer rather than trading 6 for Bell.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I'd rather see us trade up and get Barkley at his rookie salary than trade #6 AND have to pay Bell.

That's not me saying I want us to trade up for Barkley. I'm just using that as an example as to what I'd prefer rather than trading 6 for Bell.

Or you can trade down from 6th to nab Guice.

6 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Or you can trade down from 6th to nab Guice.

That's the thing, this class is so deep that I doubt a team is willing to trade a first day or second day pick knowing Bell wants a large contract. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

One of the worst things that could happen for the Jets is if we land Cousins... have Barkley, Nelson and Chubb off the board by the 6th pick.

That means some team will pay top dollar for a QB or we take Ward or Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick is a stud and you find a place to play him if he falls to you. 

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

One of the worst things that could happen for the Jets is if we land Cousins... have Barkley, Nelson and Chubb off the board by the 6th pick.

Could take Edmunds or trade back and take Josh Jackson and accumulate more picks. I think Arizona could be a prime candidate to move up.

I am now pretty much locked into four prospects for our top pick, but still unsure about the order with which we would draft these guys. I will go alphabetically:

Barkley, L. Jackson, Mayfield, Nelson

I really like B. Chubb, too, but I just question where a 275-pound DE fits within our defense. Can he play 3-4 end? Is he too big to play OLB? What I do not want is another Sheldon Richardson situation, where we were forced to play him at OLB to justify having all our best assets on the field at the same time. And we all know Bowles is committed to the 3-4 defense. I feel because of this he becomes more risky for us than other teams. 

2 hours ago, Sapo28 said:

I wouldn't be upset if we landed Edmunds. Reminds me of Hightower.

He is a TON more athletic than Hightower, and a lot more versatile coming out.  Much longer as well.  Could be a force everywhere on the field. Hightower can get pressure up the middle but Edwards can also beat guys around the edge.

9 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

He is a TON more athletic than Hightower, and a lot more versatile coming out.  Much longer as well.  Could be a force everywhere on the field. Hightower can get pressure up the middle but Edwards can also beat guys around the edge.

Hightower's got 20 lbs on him but Its the versatility aspect where you could play him at any LB position and has the build to set an edge/rush/ or thump in the middle. 

4 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

Hightower's got 20 lbs on him but Its the versatility aspect where you could play him at any LB position and has the build to set an edge/rush/ or thump in the middle. 

He's thicker,  but only 12 pounds bigger at the combine.  Edmunds is much longer though, which helps.

A tend to listen to a lot of NFL podcast on my commute to and from work. Giving that I have a stat background, my favorites are always the PFF podcasts.

Thought I would share some interesting information put out by the PFF Forecast team. So, they measure a player's value by their contribution to winning (fair enough value=wins; makes sense). They did a segment on offensive line and running back positional value.

RB: Running backs mostly contribute to wins by yards per route run and pass blocking. In the seasons they reviewed, actually running the ball didn't contribute to wins. This is fairly interesting because when teams look to draft a RB, they are looking at yards per rushing attempt. And being a good receiver and pass blocker are sort of seen as secondary skills. Because of this, they also would suggest not looking at drafting a RB until the 3rd round (ideally the 4th round) and focusing on running backs that can catch and block. They recommend using those early valuable assets on impact positions

•  My sort of take on this is that you can't just totally disregard running. If you have an offense that can't run the ball, teams are going to just play the pass. You, at least, need someone who can keep the defense honest. So, maybe the take away is to get a RB that can catch and pass block at a high level and can run at least at an average level

OL: Likely no surprises here. The most valuable position in order are LT > RT > C > Gs. And the most valuable skill set is pass blocking. If a LT messes up on pass protection, it'll cost the team more than if a guard messes up. Also, a good pass blocking guard hardly correlates to winning. In terms of run blocking, each o-line position contributes about equally. So, having a good LT run blocker adds as much to the chances of winning as a good guard run blocker. They really ding the positional value of guards. Essentially suggesting that average guard play contributes to winning just as much as an above average guard. 

• There are some outliers in their analysis. Mashall Yanda was a positive outlier in the years they reviewed. They didn't really comment on when to draft a guard, but it sounded as though they have less value than RB. So, reading between the lines I think they would also say 3rd or 4th round as well

Archived