Offseason Discussion

deuces22wild

20 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Heard they are trying to trade for OBJ as well. I think they must feel that they have a small window to win a Super Bowl or something. Why else do you do all this high priced short term deals for “top” free agents?

You answered your own question there. 

They were a playoff team last year and rising.

Plus, when you can get top tier talent on short deals it doesn't tie your future cap up. It's actually the better way to do business for the team

In a hypothetical world I would love to draft Nelson and then take on the Rams in 2018. I may only watch the lines the whole game. Nelson - Jensen - Marpet against Donald - Suh - Brockers. Over under 3 fights break out? That would be fun to watch imo.

Bucs coach Dirk Koetter said Peyton Barber is "our starting running back right now."

Koetter added his confidence level in Barber is "high," but the "right now" part of the quote is the most important.

I fully expect us to take a RB or two and have an open competition at camp...

13 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

You answered your own question there. 

They were a playoff team last year and rising.

Plus, when you can get top tier talent on short deals it doesn't tie your future cap up. It's actually the better way to do business for the team

They’re doing what Atlanta did when they put all the stock into trading up for Julio Jones and signing vets with 1-2 years remaining. It may have affected their future draft picks but they were in it to win now. 

The miners are upcoming in that division so they need to improve. 

54 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

FINALLY a confirmation.

Wasn’t Marpet our RG though? I know Sweezy currently has that spot but still. Didn’t a linemen recently have a quote of “learning the opposite G position is like learning to wipe with your opposite hand.” I don’t doubt Marpet can do it but I feel like we are just making this more complicated than need be. Put him at RG where he is comfortable and replace Sweezy with a new LG.

3 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Wasn’t Marpet our RG though? I know Sweezy currently has that spot but still. Didn’t a linemen recently have a quote of “learning the opposite G position is like learning to wipe with your opposite hand.” I don’t doubt Marpet can do it but I feel like we are just making this more complicated than need be. Put him at RG where he is comfortable and replace Sweezy with a new LG.

I don’t think we’re sold on keeping Sweezy. There is an injury settlement in his contract. That is probably why he hasn’t been cut yet. 

1 minute ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I don’t think we’re sold on keeping Sweezy. There is an injury settlement in his contract. That is probably why he hasn’t been cut yet. 

But why would we then have Marpet learn a third spot on the oline? We've been dead set on keeping Sweezy at RG since day one. He's relatively cheap, and we could do a lot worse. I think he'll have a chance to start this year.

I wouldn't be shocked if we kept the line as is. Koetter and co. have been so much higher on our line than anyone else.

5 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Not sure what lineman said that, but I'm sure they're just scared of change lol. It's one of the easier flips on the O-line. You see guys interchange these spots all the time during the season due to injuries...

If Marpet can make the jump from OG to C (a much more difficult move) I don' think he'll have an issue. I actually think he's better suited for the LG spot anyway given his ability to pass-protect for a right handed QB...

Archived