With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

24 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

If there were a trend that would be true. Whats the trend when he's targeted 6 different positions in 7 top picks?

The trend is that the positions he considers to be premium (QB, LT, DE, CB) have made up nearly all of his first round picks. Miller, Wolfe, Williams, Roby, Lynch, Ray, Bolles- all fit into those position groups.

45 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

The trend is that the positions he considers to be premium (QB, LT, DE, CB) have made up nearly all of his first round picks. Miller, Wolfe, Williams, Roby, Lynch, Ray, Bolles- all fit into those position groups.

Maybe that's why he reaches a lot and overvalues the position rather than the player.

8 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Maybe that's why he reaches a lot and overvalues the position rather than the player.

The only guy he's taken in the first round that was widely considered a reach was Bolles last year. Most people had Paxton Lynch as a late first rounder, whilst Roby and Ray fell due to legal issues and they were considered top 10 talents.

We couldn't have really predicted Rosen sliding to the 1.05 range but now that its possible, even likely, boy does it make me wish Elway took a different approach when going QB in FA.

I still stand by the idea that we should have paid for Cousins or gone with a 10M / 1 year type stopgap (McCown, Fitzpatrick, even Teddy). Settling for the middling one year wonder was the worst possible decision. And now if that decision weighs the scale against taking a franchise talent like Rosen, it may go down as one of the worst this team has ever made. I fully expect Keenum to regress to the mean next season and play closer to his HOU/STL days.

I don't know if this franchise is prepared to nut up and take a guy at 1.05 in Rosen that may well oust their 22M per season QB signing before TC is over.

3 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

We couldn't have really predicted Rosen sliding to the 1.05 range but now that its possible, even likely, boy does it make me wish Elway took a different approach when going QB in FA.

I still stand by the idea that we should have paid for Cousins or gone with a 10M / 1 year type stopgap (McCown, Fitzpatrick, even Teddy). Settling for the middling one year wonder was the worst possible decision. And now if that decision weighs the scale against taking a franchise talent like Rosen, it may go down as one of the worst this team has ever made. I fully expect Keenum to regress to the mean next season and play closer to his HOU/STL days.

I don't know if this franchise is prepared to nut up and take a guy at 1.05 in Rosen that may well oust their 22M per season QB signing before TC is over.

If Elway takes Rosen and he beats Keenum out in training camp I would be absolutely over the moon - having two starting calibre QBs and  what will be an improved OL would be fantastic.

Then hope someone loses their QB and will give us a kings ransom for Keenum.

11 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I still find it hard to believe, based on how drafts typically go, that a franchise caliber QB will be available at 5. It is a unique year with one team having two picks inside the top 10 and teams 6-10 not needing a QB tho. We'll see, should be wild

If Elway takes Rosen and he beats Keenum out in training camp I would be absolutely over the moon - having two starting calibre QBs and  what will be an improved OL would be fantastic.

I guess to me its about the loss of asset in the 22M that Keenum will be getting paid. You can get a high end backup QB for 10M. The 12M difference could have been a starting caliber TE, slot WR and ILB upgrade.

11 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I guess to me its about the loss of asset in the 22M that Keenum will be getting paid. You can get a high end backup QB for 10M. The 12M difference could have been a starting caliber TE, slot WR and ILB upgrade.

At this point though thats a sunk cost, if the QBOTF is there and you draft him and still have Keenum on the books it is what it is.  If none of the available prospects at #5 are deemed worthy of QBOTF by Elway and the brain trust then Keenum is there to hedge against trotting out complete garbage at QB.

You’ve got to love the mainstream media. Elway says in his press conference that they’d be open to moving up or down. Haven’t had the chance to run the scenarios yet but they will on Monday, Schefter then tweets that Elway “announced the pick is for sale”

At this point though thats a sunk cost, if the QBOTF is there and you draft him and still have Keenum on the books it is what it is.  If none of the available prospects at #5 are deemed worthy of QBOTF by Elway and the brain trust then Keenum is there to hedge against trotting out complete garbage at QB.

I agree, just thinking in retrospect. I dislike the Keenum deal regardless of the QB's that are available at 1.05 but that's not for this thread.

54 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

46 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Then hope someone loses their QB and will give us a kings ransom for Keenum.

40 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

27 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

To be clear, though - if Elway takes Rosen, and Rosen is good enough to start right away, then there's a 10M sunk cost this year if we can engineer a Keenum trade before the season starts..and an 18M sunk cost if we can trade Keenum before 2019.    4M is a 2018 roster bonus that we gave up already, and 6M is the signing bonus, spread over 2 years.   The 8M salary in 2018 and 7M guaranteed for 2019's 18M salary would all come off the books.    

I've said from the start that we would have been better served with going with a cheaper stopgap, but I'd also recognize that if we don't go QB early this year - we probably are stuck with Keenum for 2 years, because next year's QB class looks incredibly meh at the top.  That no doubt played a big role in Elway deciding to go after Keenum.   It's ironic, because Elway's never been afraid to swing and miss - but he played it safe here with keeping a plan B in case no QB lands with us at 1.5.   I can't argue the rationale - but it's also pretty out of character for his stated willingness to swing for the fences, too.   

The other comment - we can't realistically hope to get anything of great value for Keenum, barring a redux of the perfect storm where a contender like MIN 2016 loses a QB just before the season starts, and there's literally no alternatives.   The salary relief alone would be worth trading Keenum if Rosen / other cheap QB is a better starter.  

Again, it's not even a lock that Rosen is there at 1.5...but yeah, hindsight being 20/20, if Elway knew 1 of Darnold/Rosen were there at 1.5, you wonder if he would have been so quick to pull the trigger, instead of going for one of the cheaper 1-year vet stopgap options.

7 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Not sure anyone here has Lamar Jackson on their board, but if you do you can go ahead and remove him. Elway says they have 4 QBs with first round grades and you have to win from the pocket. 

Ironically, I'm not sold Lamar is an athletic-freak only type guy.   Now, no way I'd want us to target him so early, just saying he's actually got real potential to be successful long-term (because he actually shows touch and ability to throw in tight windows - but he's behind the curve developmentally, having been able to succeed with his elite/near-elite NFL level athleticism).  But yeah, that news isn't surprising at all.  I mean, let's face it, Elway didn't even bring Lamar Jackson in for a visit.   That's a dead giveaway.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Again, it's not even a lock that Rosen is there at 1.5...but yeah, hindsight being 20/20, if Elway knew 1 of Darnold/Rosen were there at 1.5, you wonder if he would have been so quick to pull the trigger, instead of going for one of the cheaper 1-year vet stopgap options.

Guarantee if we don't get Keenum 4 QBs go in the first 4 picks haha, murphy's law and all

Archived