Raiders hire Jon Gruden as Head Coach

eagles18

21 hours ago, The LBC said:

But it would be incorrect to say he built that team, which was what was said.  Hell, I don't doubt that Gruden had some major influence on bringing an aging Jerry Rice and a journeyman Charlie Garner (who had been drafted by Philly when Gruden was still there if I'm not mistaken) onto that team, but that Raiders AFC Championship team was by and large assembled by Al Davis via the draft and free agency (in particular the offense line and that All-Pro DB corps).

Still, you need the right coach to groom the players and guide the ship on the field. The two previous coaches Joe Bugel and Mike White weren't cutting it regardless of the decisions Al was making. It's hard to say how much input Gruden had on getting who he wanted in the draft and free agency while he was there. I remember Gruden really wanted to get Gannon and told him straight up he would be the starter once he got there. At least that is what I remembering hearing in an NFL Films interview once. 

16 hours ago, raiderrocker18 said:

post SB decline could largely be attributed to the fact that they just gave away 2 first round picks AND 2 second round picks as he arrived, and they didn't really have a franchise QB in place. he had to make do with brian griese, chris simms, luke mccown, bruce gradkowski, and he got them back into the playoffs with the corpse of jeff garcia

His post Super Bowl drafting was a mixture of bad picks and bad luck. I can’t help but think it would have been much different had Gruden not forced Rich McKay out. Out of everyone, McKay probably deserves most of the credit for building that defence.

There were injury busts in Cadillac Williams and Arron Sears. Then there were downright busts like Dexter Jackson (not that one), Marquise “I’ve never ran a 40” Walker and Sabby Piscitelli. 

Gruden should have early success, but the difficulty will come when he has to start rebuilding when the core of the team gets old.

On 12/31/2017 at 10:47 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

Isn’t complying with the Rooney Rule a little degrading to whoever they bring in? I mean I guess it doesn’t hurt to to get in front of ppl who may keep you in mind in the future or might say to someone else, “hey we interviewed and he was great.” But still 

You never know what will happen though.  The Rooney Rule worked as intended when the Steelers interviewed Mike Tomlin.  Supposedly, they were intent on hiring someone else but brought Tomlin in to comply with the Rooney Rule.  During the interview, Tomlin just blew them away and they ended up hiring him instead of who they originally wanted.

23 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Still, you need the right coach to groom the players and guide the ship on the field. The two previous coaches Joe Bugel and Mike White weren't cutting it regardless of the decisions Al was making. It's hard to say how much input Gruden had on getting who he wanted in the draft and free agency while he was there. I remember Gruden really wanted to get Gannon and told him straight up he would be the starter once he got there. At least that is what I remembering hearing in an NFL Films interview once. 

yeah, i dont think Al Davis and his go deep or go home mentality would have wanted rich gannon and an aging jerry rice. thats why after canning gruden he picked up kerry collins and traded for randy moss lol

2 hours ago, raiderrocker18 said:

Rapsheet reporting that the Olson and Guenther hires are indeed happening.

The Guenther hire is both surprising and not to me.  Olson makes sense, he's a former Gruden OC and assistant and has a (limited) history with the Raiders organization from Allen's staff.  Guenther has no previous history with Gruden, but it does fit Gruden's past practice of rolling with the best available (that didn't need to be hired away with a huge fight) established defensive coordinator.

Never understood the charm of Gruden. Not saying he's a bad coach but the Superbowl he won was with Tony Dungys team. Besides the fact that he's been out a long time. Not sure he's the football Guru some seem to think he is.

4 hours ago, Bignutz said:

Never understood the charm of Gruden. Not saying he's a bad coach but the Superbowl he won was with Tony Dungys team. Besides the fact that he's been out a long time. Not sure he's the football Guru some seem to think he is.

By that logic, he beat his own team with Dungys team(the one Dungy couldn’t win it with).

3 minutes ago, daineraider said:

By that logic, he beat his own team with Dungys team(the one Dungy couldn’t win it with).

Not sure what you are talking about? all I said was that I didn't understand why everyone thinks this guy is the next Lombardi. Will he be successful now? Remains to be seen.

8 hours ago, Bignutz said:

Never understood the charm of Gruden. Not saying he's a bad coach but the Superbowl he won was with Tony Dungys team. 

I've always despised this argument, especially considering by this logic he beat the team he built in the Super Bowl.

19 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

You never know what will happen though.  The Rooney Rule worked as intended when the Steelers interviewed Mike Tomlin.  Supposedly, they were intent on hiring someone else but brought Tomlin in to comply with the Rooney Rule.  During the interview, Tomlin just blew them away and they ended up hiring him instead of who they originally wanted.

That's apparently not true about Tomlin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooney_Rule

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I've always despised this argument, especially considering by this logic he beat the team he built in the Super Bowl.

Especially since Dungy didn’t draft Brooks, Sapp or Lynch. It also doesn’t give sufficient credit to Monte Kiffin.

Archived