Raiders hire Jon Gruden as Head Coach

eagles18

7 hours ago, Bignutz said:

Not sure what you are talking about? all I said was that I didn't understand why everyone thinks this guy is the next Lombardi. Will he be successful now? Remains to be seen.

Who said anything about him being the next Lombardi?  And you said he won a Super Bowl with Dungys team, so I said he beat his own team(the Raiders), which he helped build.  I’m not arguing he will be B.B. by any means, but I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think he can have some success.  As for his contract, yeah it’s a bit crazy.

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I like him as a re-tread and I don’t really care about the contract, but I think some people are hyping him more than he deserves.

To me this feels a lot like (just with a larger gap in between the hires) Andy Reid joining the Chiefs.  There should definitely be stability and I don't think you can call it a bad hire.  But until he can show (as Andy hasn't been able to) that he's shed his bad habits from before, talk of winning championships is pretty darn premature.

Now there's one thing that doesn't really sit well with me from the presser (OK two things because now knowing the names of the guys they interviewed to satisfy the Rooney Rule, they went against what would have been Al's aim when he was working to push the hiring of minorities):

Gruden hasn't really studied the roster?  I mean, that could be coachspeak or cagey speak, but if it's true, that doesn't really strike me as someone who is taking this as seriously and it sets a bad precedent.  And if it doesn't work out, Mark Davis deserves all the crow served to him because he didn't even bother using the process when he finally had a bargainable position and, as he flat out admitted, went Gruden or bust.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Gruden hasn't really studied the roster?  I mean, that could be coachspeak or cagey speak, but if it's true, that doesn't really strike me as someone who is taking this as seriously and it sets a bad precedent.

I think that is a little bit over an overblown comment.

Studied, I sure he has.

Studied every individual to see who fits what he wants, probably not. Probably was also used to keep the talk away from individual players during the press conference.

7 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I think that is a little bit over an overblown comment.

Studied, I sure he has.

Studied every individual to see who fits what he wants, probably not. Probably was also used to keep the talk away from individual players during the press conference.

Yeah absolutely no way he hasn’t studied this roster. If he answers that question with a yes, he opens a whole can of worms of specific questions about specific players and their roles. Easier to use thag blanket statement and get on wth the presser. It’s an introductory presser at the end of the day. 

Congrats to Raiders fan. Never thought much of Del Rio as a head coach. Gruden is proven and even though he's been away for awhile I think he's going into a great franchise. May take a couple year but he'll get the defense right and he'll definitely have Derek Carr looking good next season.

People read into a presser too much. This only served as an introduction as head coach. Of course he’s not gonna talk about specifics about the team or individual players or he will be there for 3 hours talking about his plan rather than field general questions about being excited to be back.

10 hours ago, steadypimpin said:

Will he even change the roster much? On MNF he loves every player so I'm thinking he makes hardly any changes.

Consider the possibility that being an announcer heavily involves being impartial, and being a coach like Gruden involves being critical. Maybe, just maybe, it's a TV persona. It is his job after all. To think he will be the persona as a coach that he was as an announcer is kinda absurd. Especially taking into account we have already seen him extensively as a coach, and it was not much like his TV personality.

Archived