Caldwell fired

diehardlionfan

43 minutes ago, Lionized said:

Start date is probably TBD but signed to an agreement that when his contract expires he will be the next hc 

It's when the Patriots are officially removed from the playoffs ie they lose a game or win the SB. It seems slightly more open at the moment but it'll likely be formalized after Wilks is interviewed.

15 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I think we all knew Patricia was the guy before Caldwell was even fired. Quinn was looking for a way to bring him in and missing the playoffs was his shot. 

That's quite the conspiracy theory. If we got into the playoffs and went one-and-done again, I don't think Caldwell would have survived. Missing the playoffs just made the likely into the inevitable. We would have had to make the Divisional Round in order for Caldwell to stick around IMO.

I think Patricia has been his main target but I do think he's doing a relatively thorough search in case a more suitable candidate comes out of the woodwork. However, if Quinn said Patricia was ready to be a HC two years ago then he clearly thinks he is ready now. I just don't expect there was some devious plan to not make the playoffs so Quinn can install a regime change.

2 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I'm not buying any of this. Not necessarily buying the Giants rumor either, but Patricia is working on a game plan this week, not signing contracts.

Can you imagine if he signed or even agreed to some deal and Belichick found out about it? He'd get thrown out of the building

Agreed 100%. However his agent could be talking behind the scenes and giving preferences before getting into contract details. It's possible that it's down to New York and Detroit, removing Arizona from the equation. Once the Patriots are removed from the playoffs Patricia can then work on the contract details. Maybe he'd prefer the Giants on the right deal but Matthew Stafford is certainly not a bad consolation prize.

• 6 months later...

Archived