8th pick in the draft

Rogerthat

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

We went through this a few weeks ago that it’s happened several times in the past decade. That said, it’s most often been for a WR and there isn’t one there this year that justifies that. 

Ever meathead bears fan on 670 the score says we should trade down with an imaginary trade partner to get more picks.  Not happening. 

1 minute ago, Rogerthat said:

Ever meathead bears fan on 670 the score says we should trade down with an imaginary trade partner to get more picks.  Not happening. 

Wanting to trade down, if you can, isn’t a meathead thing. It’s the exact opposite. More picks = more chances for a GM who drafts pretty well to add good players. Everyone wants more picks. The stereotypical meathead approach is a closed minded one. 

It only takes one team to be in love with Mayfield, Allen, Ridley or another WR who kills the combine, one of the OTs, etc. It’s no given that we can by any means, but to dismiss the possibility outright especially in the first week of January is pretty naive. 

Sign me up as a meathead then. I would LOVE to trade back and think that unles Chubb is there it's a good move.  If you can move back into the middle of the first, the value would likely be a first and a second. You can address a need like OLB or OT in this years middle first, then get a WR in 2, and use the second pick as you please; we could still use a CB, or another WR, or whatever the BPA is. 

Contingent upon getting value of course. If you're sliding 7 spots down, you better get at least a 2nd.  

I don't know if we'd get a decent trade down though,  my guess is not but worth exploring.

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Wanting to trade down, if you can, isn’t a meathead thing. It’s the exact opposite. More picks = more chances for a GM who drafts pretty well to add good players. Everyone wants more picks. The stereotypical meathead approach is a closed minded one. 

It only takes one team to be in love with Mayfield, Allen, Ridley or another WR who kills the combine, one of the OTs, etc. It’s no given that we can by any means, but to dismiss the possibility outright especially in the first week of January is pretty naive. 

Or a passrusher. We jumped to get Floyd. I expect Ferrill to kill the combine, and Kirk is my dark horse to jump to the top 20 after he destroys it too. Not saying Kirk will go to the top 10, but Ferrill might surprise us.

As you said though, we can't discount the possibility or lock ourselves into just a picking at 8 without looking at other possibilities. Explore all options, and then take what you believe to be the most advantageous one.

24 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Or a passrusher. We jumped to get Floyd. I expect Ferrill to kill the combine, and Kirk is my dark horse to jump to the top 20 after he destroys it too. Not saying Kirk will go to the top 10, but Ferrill might surprise us.

As you said though, we can't discount the possibility or lock ourselves into just a picking at 8 without looking at other possibilities. Explore all options, and then take what you believe to be the most advantageous one.

Trade back doesn’t have to be a blockbuster deal either. You mentioned Floyd - we moved up 2 picks and gave up a 4. I’m open to a deal like that in reverse. We’d have three 4ths giving us ample ammo to move into the 3rd if we have a guy there we covet. We jumped up last year in the 4th for Eddie Jackson. Pace has shown repeatedly he’s not afraid to move around the board for his guy, up or down. At this point if he stood pat all draft that would be a pretty big surprise. 

I agree we need a true pass rush but just remember this defense is top 10 in quite a few categories. We need to turn our 31st ranked offense into at least 15th next year to have a chance at 8-8. I'm 100% on board grabbing the best OL we can get if we can't trade down. 

42 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Trade back doesn’t have to be a blockbuster deal either. You mentioned Floyd - we moved up 2 picks and gave up a 4. I’m open to a deal like that in reverse. We’d have three 4ths giving us ample ammo to move into the 3rd if we have a guy there we covet. We jumped up last year in the 4th for Eddie Jackson. Pace has shown repeatedly he’s not afraid to move around the board for his guy, up or down. At this point if he stood pat all draft that would be a pretty big surprise. 

Exactly. Pace seems to get great value of the mid round to late picks. If we have 3 guys on the same level and and they are in the same grade for Pace, then trading back 2 spots does nothing but ensures we get one of them and an additional pick.

17 hours ago, Nads786 said:

I agree we need a true pass rush but just remember this defense is top 10 in quite a few categories. We need to turn our 31st ranked offense into at least 15th next year to have a chance at 8-8. I'm 100% on board grabbing the best OL we can get if we can't trade down. 

Good point leading to my point. Offense, defense, special teams, bah humbug. The single most important thing in this and the next couple of drafts is to protect and advance Trubisky.

If a good 2018 defensive 8th pick ups the defense from a top 10 to a top 5 and Trubisky does down in week 3, 2018 is lost.

If a good 2018 WR 8th pick who provides a great weapon 2020 and beyond and Trubisky does down in week 3, 2018 is lost.

The Oline is the first and best protector of a QB and ours is in a state of flux if not outright decline given the injuries and lack of depth. It doesn't mean that we have to draft an Olineman with the 8th pick, but it does mean that Pace had better have a great FA and draft plan in place to provide 2 upgrades to the starting Oline with or without using the 8th for an Olineman and some decent depth to boot.

Barring a can't miss, impact defender, I'd prefer a trade down to pick up a couple of quality slots for upgrades to the Oline and defense/WR. Either way, there has to be Oline upgrades.

On 1/2/2018 at 2:56 PM, G08 said:

Minkah Fitzpatrick was arguably the country’s most impactful defender this year, but after learning NFL teams’ grades, I’ll be surprised if he gets drafted inside the top 10 picks. NC State’s Bradley Chubb will be the first defender taken.

— Oklahoma State receiver Marcell Ateman has graded higher than teammate James Washington by multiple NFL teams. If Washington runs slower than expected at the NFL Combine, don’t be surprised if Ateman leapfrogs Washington in Round of the draft.

Galko again.

Both guys I really like. Minkah I would take at 8, and be happy to do so. Same goes for Jackson. We need a young, high upside DB to pair with Fuller.

Ateman I have as a 2nd rounder, watching him makes me feel like hew can develop into that X receiver, and has number 1 potential. He isn't elite in any category, but is a solid combination of size, speed, hands, etc.

23 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

I like him I got a feeling he runs a 4.6 at the combine and it will kill his stock 

denzel ward is too short 

He ran a legit 4.4 on grass in front of pro scouts last year.  Id be more than shocked if he ran a 4.6.  Dont just assume since he went to iowa he isnt a great athlete.  Fitzpatrick is more likely to run a 4.6 than Jackson is

Archived