Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

Paton, McKenzie, Schneider have all been blocked or rejected. DeCosta TBC.

Only outside candiate we're bringing in for an interview so far is Whaley. Not having much success getting outside candidates to visit so far but still early days.

Next down on the list could be Joe Douglas, Nick Caserio, Terry McDonough and Will McClay.

There's a whole bunch of lesser known names such as Mike Borgonzi, Kansas City; Trey Brown, Philadelphia; Joey Clinkscales, Oakland; Ryan Cowden, Tennessee; Ed Dodds, Indianapolis; Scott Fitterer, Seattle; Brian Gaine, Buffalo; Brian Heimerdinger, Jets; Joe Hortiz, Baltimore; Brandon Hunt, Pittsburgh; Dwayne Joseph, Philadelphia; Monti Ossenfort, New England; Matt Russell, Denver; Jamaal Stephenson, Minnesota; Duke Tobin, Cincinnati; Andy Weidl, Philadelphia. However I don't think we will take the GM search that far as it will be either one of the top guys or one of our own.

Ted has a HOF resume.  

He built some reeeeeally impressive rosters and found talent worth cheering for. 

Sometimes the players screwed up what should have been Super Bowl seasons.  (Giants loss - 4 turnovers. Seahawks loss - last 5 minutes...)

Sometimes coaches game plans were just trash (San Fran debacle...)

Other years injuries were just too much to overcome.

Other times Ted left his team devoid of talent at important positions such as safety, linebacker, and backup QB.

What is fairly obvious, though, is that the level of collective talent has been diminishing over the last few years.  Great players have aged, gotten injured, or left via free agency.  In some cases good players have replaced great ones and replacement level players have replaced good ones.  Not unlike the last few years of Ron Wolf...

A similar talent drain has been going on in the front office for the last 10 years.  

Change is coming because it needed to happen.  All we can do as fans is hope that the next GM will be able to assemble a staff and rosters as well as the guy who did it before him.  

21 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Ted has a HOF resume.  

He built some reeeeeally impressive rosters and found talent worth cheering for. 

Sometimes the players screwed up what should have been Super Bowl seasons.  (Giants loss - 4 turnovers. Seahawks loss - last 5 minutes...)

Sometimes coaches game plans were just trash (San Fran debacle...)

Other years injuries were just too much to overcome.

Other times Ted left his team devoid of talent at important positions such as safety, linebacker, and backup QB.

What is fairly obvious, though, is that the level of collective talent has been diminishing over the last few years.  Great players have aged, gotten injured, or left via free agency.  In some cases good players have replaced great ones and replacement level players have replaced good ones.  Not unlike the last few years of Ron Wolf...

A similar talent drain has been going on in the front office for the last 10 years.  

Change is coming because it needed to happen.  All we can do as fans is hope that the next GM will be able to assemble a staff and rosters as well as the guy who did it before him.  

Collins, Finely, Shields

Its amazing how 3 names can alter a guys legacy. I truly believe if 2 of the above don't happen we go to at least 3 Super Bowls total. No way we lose to Seattle in 2014 with Finley on the field. 

Collins was such a good player. So fast and could cover. We've been searching for that ever since. 

8 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I thought the front office did a great job this off-season in bringing in veteran talent .. seems like McCarthy lost sight of that. There was a definite shift this past off-season.  It just didn't work out due mainly to mass injuries. 

Actually in our forum we thought the same thing. I think a lot of you guys thought the same thing too. Beginning of the year we were pretty worried about not even being able to keep up.

Injuries killed the Packers this past year.

Bennett and Kendricks both just ended up not working out.

Honestly, I know you guys know it, but look at the Packers offense when healthy. Rodgers, two rookie RB's that both looked decent, Adams, Cobb, Nelson, all 3 TE's, and a solid O-Line.

Even the defense has talent on it, half of that was Dom and his terrible predictable blitz's and play calling, and injuries just demolished the defensive backfield.

Any team can look terrible without healthy talent. Basically destroyed the whole Vikings team last year losing our whole offensive line, starting QB, Smith missed a bunch of time, Kendricks and Barr were missing time.

half the battle is staying healthy.

1 hour ago, jontat83 said:

Schneider could force the issue, wouldn't say its dead yet.

And actually for Schneider it would be a promotion considering he doesn't have full control in Seattle.

Is it really true he doesn't have full control?

59 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If we do hire Ball, next offseason is going to be crazier than this one.  It might actually see us trade Aaron Rodgers

Seeing Murphy is interviewing others besides Ball and actually reached out to Seattle I have a hard time believing it is a done deal.

18 minutes ago, tredpack said:

Collins, Finely, Shields

Its amazing how 3 names can alter a guys legacy. I truly believe if 2 of the above don't happen we go to at least 3 Super Bowls total. No way we lose to Seattle in 2014 with Finley on the field. 

Collins was such a good player. So fast and could cover. We've been searching for that ever since. 

Add 2 more players lost to injury - Jonathan Franklin and Terrence Murphy.  What could have been...

I’m not surprised by the John Schneider news... of course Seattle would deny. But here is the thing if Schneider presses the issue Seattle could have an interal issue on their hands. Also it has been said GB could argue it’s a higher role than what he has at Seattle (given Pete Carroll).

Plus I always figured GB would have to take a “leap of faith” and just trade for him without a real formal interview.

Archived