What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you would sign Teddy before the franchise tag deadline. Then slap the tag on Case. At that point you would try to trade one of the two, most likely Case, for a draft pick of some sort.

It could work if the team can get Teddy to sign. It would be a bold move. The worst thing that happens is Case signs the franchise tender and the team is unable to trade either QB. The team would be stuck with having both QBs for 2018 at the franchise value plus the cap hit for Teddy's first year. That isn't terrible. There are worse things than having both under contract for an outsized portion of the cap.

If that is your idea, it would be bold but might end up being a good strategy. 

I would probably be willing to go that far, but I would try to get them both signed to contracts they that satisfy them without resorting to using the franchise tag on either one.  As you said, if we need to keep them both for next year, there are worse things that can happen.  QB is the most important position on the field, and I can't believe there wouldn't be someone willing to pay us for one of them.

5 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

That makes sense, Goph, but at the same time, don't we have the upper hand until their contract runs out?  They shouldn't be able to negotiate with players on other teams who are currently under contract.

of course. If somehow we could sign them right now, it is possible. That will be tough tho, and looks bad for the one you sign first.

Case is going to get the larger contract money wise.

If you throw a contract out right now to Teddy, I'd feel like that hurts Case from signing. Willing to throw out the money to our back-up 1st round QB after injury, but not sign Case? (looking at it from Case's point of view)

Now you give a big contract to Case, why would Teddy want to stay for less and not test the market to see what he can actually get, or even somewhere where he would have his choice for a starting job without a big competition with a QB that just made the playoffs?

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

I would probably be willing to go that far, but I would try to get them both signed to contracts they that satisfy them without resorting to using the franchise tag on either one.  As you said, if we need to keep them both for next year, there are worse things that can happen.  QB is the most important position on the field, and I can't believe there wouldn't be someone willing to pay us for one of them.

We can agree that it would be better to not have to use the tag. I don't see any realistic scenarios where the team can get both to agree to a contract before free agency without the tag though. If they can sign them both, that is even better.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

No doubt, and the worse part is if we end up picking the wrong one.

I trust the coach and the GM to make the right decision.  As much as I want to have Teddy as our QB, I have also come around to the possibility of losing him and having Case as our guy moving forward.  Zimmer works with both of them in practice, so I trust that he will make the right decision.

33 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I agree.  It would be a bigger than average investment in the position, but for that position, I think it would be worth it.

I think this will depend on Teddy's attitude towards being a backup. Given the likely disparity in Keenum and Teddy's contract, I don't think there will be much of a QB competition and Teddy's playing time may very well depend on Keenum failing. 

Just now, vikingsrule said:

I think this will depend on Teddy's attitude towards being a backup. Given the likely disparity in Keenum and Teddy's contract, I don't think there will be much of a QB competition and Teddy's playing time may very well depend on Keenum failing. 

I could see Zimmer telling Teddy (and meaning it) that the job is up for grabs and that he has just as much chance of being the starter as Case next year.

6 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I could see Zimmer telling Teddy (and meaning it) that the job is up for grabs and that he has just as much chance of being the starter as Case next year.

Guess we will have to see what the open market dictates for fringe starting/backup QBs. 

Or maybe Zimmer and Spielman commit to Bradford and we are all wrong. 

47 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I agree.  It would be a bigger than average investment in the position, but for that position, I think it would be worth it.

Depth is crucial in today's NFL.  Imagine where we'd  be without a decent 3rd string QB!

Just now, perrynoid said:

Depth is crucial in today's NFL.  Imagine where we'd  be without a decent 3rd string QB!

So true, Perry.  Not only that, but the investment would enable us to be that much more certain we are moving into the future with the right guy.  

13 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Buckie, we aren't going to pay Keenum an eight figure salary to hold a clipboard.

Archived