What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

I voted Teddy, purely because I hope that he can come back and do great things. Realistically, I am not convinced. If Teddy is who is kept out of the two, I feel like you still need to bring in a veteran as a safety net and possibly draft a guy. With Case, it feels way more safe, and Teddy feels like more of the gamble. I don't think Case is amazing or anything, but he just works with this team. He does well in our offense and that is more than good enough with this defense. Teddy's potential is higher, and he will come with a better contract money wise, but not a single person on this forum knows how he will perform going forward. We do know what Case brings, and I think that is fair to say after watching his body of work this season. It would be more of a debate if we were looking at only 4-6 games from him which could have been a fluke. I think he has shown enough this season to establish a new mean for his play and ability compared to his previous years in the league, which were admittedly with much worse teams. 

I would love love to bring them both back, but I only see that happening if one of the two is on a short term deal. I truly beleive that the team wants to see what Teddy has, and if he looks the part, they would roll with him long term. I just don't know if we will get that opportunity, because to see what we have in him now means either investing in him as the main guy, or probably spending $25+ mil on the QB position by bringing both Teddy and Case back which could be a big financial liability going forward which I would assume the team would avoid. Hoping for some magic from the Bryz!

12 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'd bet my life savings they at least have a general idea what they're going to do. 

There's a lot of man hours that go into a NFL season. Not everyone of those can go towards preparing for the next game especially if your name is Spielman and the BRZ.

Plus, the coaching staff isn't going to decide who the options at QB in 2018 will be.  That's Rick's job.  Zimmer will certainly have his say, but it's Rick that makes the call...and as detail-oriented as he is, he already has a good idea on what he plans to do, as he's probably already has Plans A-L on the white board, based upon different circumstances.

5 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Plus, the coaching staff isn't going to decide who the options at QB in 2018 will be.  That's Rick's job.  Zimmer will certainly have his say, but it's Rick that makes the call...and as detail-oriented as he is, he already has a good idea on what he plans to do, as he's probably already has Plans A-L on the white board, based upon different circumstances.

I agree that Rick and Brz likely have a couple game plans in their minds, which may or may not change based on 1-3 playoff games.

I'm sure they have been talking to other GMs about things as well .... GMs talk all the time about all kinds of stuff ... its not combative .... its a brotherhood, there like 30-40 people in the know, and eventually, your next boss is likely going to be one of your current peers.

Either way I'm happy personally. I'm thinking about it, and whichever direction the team chooses to go here I won't be upset, just because I like both of these guys so much. Case has had doubters his whole life, being undrafted to finally at 29 years old breaking through. He's been a huge part of our success this season so I will always support him for that. Teddy has also overcome so much, and he's one of the most likable guys in the league. From a purely just football point of view, Keenum makes more sense, just because of how well he's played this season, so therefore I voted Case, but will be content with either. 

Is there a rule of some kind preventing us from signing them both, while at the same time having the intention of trading one of them before the draft?  ?  That would seem to make a lot more sense than just letting one of them walk in free agency.

17 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Is there a rule of some kind preventing us from signing them both, while at the same time having the intention of trading one of them before the draft?  ?  That would seem to make a lot more sense than just letting one of them walk in free agency.

No rule, but you have to get them to agree to it. That would be quite a challenge. Could use the tag on one of them if the other signed a contract before the tag deadline. It might be hard to trade either of them for the franchise tag value and that salary would be guaranteed on signing so there would be some risk involved with that strategy.

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

No rule, but you have to get them to agree to it. That would be quite a challenge. Could use the tag on one of them if the other signed a contract before the tag deadline. It might be hard to trade either of them for the franchise tag value and that salary would be guaranteed on signing so there would be some risk involved with that strategy.

I would take the risk with Case.  His stock will never be higher than it is right now - especially if we win it all with him.  I think we could find someone to trade for him, almost no matter how much we sign him for.  This is a league starved for good QBs.

Not a lot of people will give away draft capitol right before the draft for either one of the QB's.

You would be better off hoping to sign both of them and trying to trade them to a needy team that is a challenger that lost a QB due to injury.

If they wanted one of these QB's they would of went after them.

They aren't going to want to pay for a QB they could have signed and then give up draft picks also.

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Not a lot of people will give away draft capitol right before the draft for either one of the QB's.

You would be better off hoping to sign both of them and trying to trade them to a needy team that is a challenger that lost a QB due to injury.

If they wanted one of these QB's they would of went after them.

They aren't going to want to pay for a QB they could have signed and then give up draft picks also.

They might not want to do that, but if that's the situation, you have to do what you have to do to get a quality QB for your team.  QBs like Teddy and Case don't grow on trees, and to me, it seems like a wise use of draft capital to add a proven QB to your roster instead of rolling the dice on a rookie who may or may not work out.  A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

They might not want to do that, but if that's the situation, you have to do what you have to do to get a quality QB for your team.  QBs like Teddy and Case don't grow on trees, and to me, it seems like a wise use of draft capital to add a proven QB to your roster instead of rolling the dice on a rookie who may or may not work out.  A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Why would they just not try and sign them?

They would be better off trying to give them an extra couple $M/yr and keeping their draft pick.

I don't care if it is the Browns, Dolphins, or Cowboys that would try and sign them, in their situation in their careers they would be wise to take an extra couple million to go to another team than sign for less. One of those teams would just have to pay up more.

To do that, you would be getting a player for a couple million less, while giving up draft stock. It just doesn't make a lot of sense from a management standpoint.

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Why would they just not try and sign them?

They would be better off trying to give them an extra couple $M/yr and keeping their draft pick.

I don't care if it is the Browns, Dolphins, or Cowboys that would try and sign them, in their situation in their careers they would be wise to take an extra couple million to go to another team than sign for less. One of those teams would just have to pay up more.

To do that, you would be getting a player for a couple million less, while giving up draft stock. It just doesn't make a lot of sense from a management standpoint.

That makes sense, Goph, but at the same time, don't we have the upper hand until their contract runs out?  They shouldn't be able to negotiate with players on other teams who are currently under contract.

36 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I would take the risk with Case.  His stock will never be higher than it is right now - especially if we win it all with him.  I think we could find someone to trade for him, almost no matter how much we sign him for.  This is a league starved for good QBs.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you would sign Teddy before the franchise tag deadline. Then slap the tag on Case. At that point you would try to trade one of the two, most likely Case, for a draft pick of some sort.

It could work if the team can get Teddy to sign. It would be a bold move. The worst thing that happens is Case signs the franchise tender and the team is unable to trade either QB. The team would be stuck with having both QBs for 2018 at the franchise value plus the cap hit for Teddy's first year. That isn't terrible. There are worse things than having both under contract for an outsized portion of the cap.

If that is your idea, it would be bold but might end up being a good strategy. 

This idea should be explored IMO.

Fortune favors the bold.

Archived