What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

You pay what QB? Would you pay Keenum $50 million per year just because he's "better"?

There has to be some price point where you as a franchise say that's too much. It's foolish to just hand the better QB a blank check and say 'name your price,' especially when there's really only one year of success to go on.

3 hours ago, Klomp said:

You misunderstood. I wasn't estimating his market value. I was giving my personal limits of what I would be willing to offer if I was GM. That may be what he gets on the open market, but it doesn't mean I'd be willing to offer him that myself.

Indeed I did. Given that these are your personal limits, I think its unlikely we'd be able to keep either Teddy or Case if you were running the show. I believe case will get a deal at or above what I previously outlined, and I think Teddy gets a deal similar to what Glennon got. Do you think that either of your proposed salaries are sufficient to keep a QB? If so, why? If not, how much do you think it would actually take for each?

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I understand what your say but ... when has team been successful when they willingly decided to you know, save some money and choose the lower QB (non rookie example)

You're being awful brazen in thinking that your opinion of who is the better QB, is the surefire answer.

There are many who disagree, yet you're being rather matter of fact

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

You pay what QB? Would you pay Keenum $50 million per year just because he's "better"?

There has to be some price point where you as a franchise say that's too much. It's foolish to just hand the better QB a blank check and say 'name your price,' especially when there's really only one year of success to go on.

Luckily, no team needs to make that decision. They make the tag decision, that many many teams have done and many will continue to do. It's also part of the CBA.

7 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Can we just enjoy the season just completed and pull for Case to play well in the playoffs??  I don't want to think about next season....yet.

Hey!  This is Footballs FUTURE board.  You want to visit the Footballs PRESENT board. ;)

3 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Recall that Flacco won the SB with the help of a great defense... sound familiar?

Flacco was brilliant during that post season run. They probably don't win it without carrying the team as he did.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2013/2/4/3950478/2013-super-bowl-xlvii-joe-flacco

if Keenum throws 11 Tds and 0 Ints in the post season, wouldn't you pay him what he wants. The Ravens had no reason to believe he'd have a prompt career regression. Future looked bright.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Flacco was brilliant during that post season run. They probably don't win it without carrying the team as he did.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2013/2/4/3950478/2013-super-bowl-xlvii-joe-flacco

if Keenum throws 11 Tds and 0 Ints in the post season, wouldn't you pay him what he wants. The Ravens had no reason to believe he'd have a prompt career regression. Future looked bright.

Oh, I agree that his run in post-season was great.  But their defense played a significant part that cannot be overlooked.  I think 0 INTs by Keenum is possible, but 11 TDs isn't likely due to the Vikings' bye week; i.e. only 3 games in a SB run.   A GM doesn't pay for past performance in a new contract, but, rather, for future potential.

The key to avoid the pitfall of a huge contract on a 'relatively unproven' QB is to insert player performance bonus incentives in the contract, and an out for the Vikings if CK falters significantly.

2 hours ago, Klomp said:

The Denver Broncos, after winning a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning, thought that Brock Osweiller was their best QB option since Manning was retired. They offered him a somewhat lucrative deal but didn't franchise him. Houston came in over the top of the Broncos deal and the Broncos were forced to settle for the other guys they could get.

The other guys didn't really work out for the Broncos but it was a more cost effective way of having a lost season than paying Osweiller.

The point is that teams do have a maximum amount they would spend on what they consider to be their best option. The Jets with Fitzpatrcik are another example. Sometimes giving their best option what it takes is not a great idea. However, not keeping your best option didn't work very well either. Paxton Lynch and Christan Hackenberg both look like wasted picks that could have been avoided if those teams were a bit less desperate for a QB.

Would have biting the bullet and giving Osweiller or Fitzpatrick the franchise tag been a worthwhile cost to save the desperation draft pick. Would have those QBs fared better if staying in the familiar surroundings and working the full offseason? I don't know. One thing that I do know is that I don't want to go into the draft without having at least one viable starter already signed.

21 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

They did have a great defense, but Flacco had a very strong run that season. I was shocked by how well he played that postseason.

Keenum would need to step up his game to do what Flacco did.

If I remember correctly, he had massive deep balls that fell in place nicely.

For those who have stated that they’re waiting to see what Keenum does in the playoffs, does he simply need to win for people to want him next year, or does he need to play well?

I think everyone, even us Ted Heads, would concede to bringing Keenum back if he comes out and plays like he did against Tampa Bay, Washington, and Cincinnati. But what if the team wins due to great defense and a strong running game, with Keenum being more of a facilitator, like against Baltimore, the Rams, or either Chicago game?

22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

For those who have stated that they’re waiting to see what Keenum does in the playoffs, does he simply need to win for people to want him next year, or does he need to play well?

I think everyone, even us Ted Heads, would concede to bringing Keenum back if he comes out and plays like he did against Tampa Bay, Washington, and Cincinnati. But what if the team wins due to great defense and a strong running game, with Keenum being more of a facilitator, like against Baltimore, the Rams, or either Chicago game?

Those are good points; it should be an interesting post-season for us.  One wonders if the coaching staff is willing to go outside the organization to find a QB for next season, either via free agency or the draft, is focused on an in-house candidate, or has not given it too much thought yet as they are focused on the playoffs?  I'd guess the latter.

I voted Case.

There's still too much unknown surrounding Teddy, his knee, and if he will be better than 2015 Teddy. I'm not ready to hedge the next 2-5 years on him when the defense is the best in the league.

I at least know what Case can do, that he's healthy, and that he can win games with this defense.

15 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

or has not given it too much thought yet as they are focused on the playoffs?  I'd guess the latter.

I'd bet my life savings they at least have a general idea what they're going to do. 

There's a lot of man hours that go into a NFL season. Not everyone of those can go towards preparing for the next game especially if your name is Spielman and the BRZ.

Archived