Packers extend HC Mike McCarthy through 2019 season

marky mark

27 minutes ago, iPwn said:

The length of the extension seems more like a “keep this from appearing to be a lame duck season” more than necessarily a vote of confidence. Any chance that’s the case?

It was signed mid season at some point, likely at the same time the FO made the decision to execute TTs step-down plan. Likely is a vote of confidence in MM with a built-in compromise with the (likely) in-house candidate that takes over - giving them some leeway to make coaching changes if something unforseen happens. Or, gives them the opportunity to sign MM to a deal of their choosing next year while maintaining stability across the transition.

53 minutes ago, iPwn said:

The length of the extension seems more like a “keep this from appearing to be a lame duck season” more than necessarily a vote of confidence. Any chance that’s the case?

I mean a vote of confidence would be pretty empty anyways because the only confidence that matters is whoever the new GM is.  Would be kinda screwing that guy over to stick him with a HC signed for 4 more years if he ends up not liking the coach.

5 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

The Packers organization are doing exactly what I would do.  They dumped Dom, put Ted out to pasture, and kept Mike.  As a Vikings fan, I would have preferred the opposite.  These were all good moves.

I'm ok with this set up.....for now.  Very curious to see who they'll pick for GM, and if things actually change, or if we'll see more of the same.

On 1/2/2018 at 2:12 PM, iPwn said:

Yes and no.  You don't "extend" someone you have no faith in.  If they had planned on to move TT out of the GM role and fire both of his coordinators, why would you keep Mike around?  I think they have faith in him, but they're clearly making an effort to show that status quo won't fly.

On 1/2/2018 at 3:43 PM, incognito_man said:

It was signed mid season at some point, likely at the same time the FO made the decision to execute TTs step-down plan. Likely is a vote of confidence in MM with a built-in compromise with the (likely) in-house candidate that takes over - giving them some leeway to make coaching changes if something unforseen happens. Or, gives them the opportunity to sign MM to a deal of their choosing next year while maintaining stability across the transition.

wrong.

https://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/green-bay-packers-ted-thompson-gm-010218

anywho... my guess is mccarthy gets 2018 to show it wasnt him taht was the problem. If they dont make a deep run hes gone.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

nope.

must be nice to ignore reality just cause you dont want to be wrong. President of a company says it was brought up by them to thompson at the end of the season. fan thinks it was thompsons plan mid season. Wonder who is right here.

Archived