Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Jared Stillman -   Sources: Aaron Rodgers has purchased land and is in the process of building a home in the Nashville-suburb of Franklin (Williamson Co.) Also, source says Rodgers is “open” joining the Titans. Another source says that current Packers teammates do not expect Rodgers back in GB.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Jared Stillman -   Sources: Aaron Rodgers has purchased land and is in the process of building a home in the Nashville-suburb of Franklin (Williamson Co.) Also, source says Rodgers is “open” joining the Titans. Another source says that current Packers teammates do not expect Rodgers back in GB.

But has he renewed his golf membership?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

But has he renewed his golf membership?

I've no clue who this guy is - but checking his profile he's got a podcast / show on ESPN Nashville.

Just checked TN's draft picks.....not awe inspiring.

Edited by Leader

22 minutes ago, Leader said:

Who is going to take on Tannehill's $38mil cap next next year?

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

Tannehill has a $57.4m dead cap hit for 2022. Yeah not happening.

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

Tannehill has a $57.4m dead cap hit for 2022. Yeah not happening.

Well there's that....and they dont appear to have the draft capital to pull it off.
So this guy appears to be going for some "McAfee" ratings boost magic.

Andrew Brandt - I have no inside knowledge on this from Aaron or the team, and deliberately refrain from reaching out; I comment from my own experienced insight and perspective. And I just think this is the time for a change, both for Aaron and the team. Let’s examine.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/02/02/business-of-football-aaron-rodgers-era-end-imminent

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andrew Brandt - I have no inside knowledge on this from Aaron or the team, and deliberately refrain from reaching out; I comment from my own experienced insight and perspective. And I just think this is the time for a change, both for Aaron and the team. Let’s examine.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/02/02/business-of-football-aaron-rodgers-era-end-imminent

Brandt has been saying this from the beginning.  I think he's wrong in this case, but he makes great points.  He's always a great read on NFL business. 

I usually like Brandt's stuff, and he makes some good points as always. But part of his logic is flawed, I think.  He frames it largely on two layers:  one is it's-time-for-a-change, the other that it's time to turn it over to love. 

I agree with Brandt, that sometimes change-for-change sake happens, and that Rodgers is probably ready for that.  It's his call, not Gute's, so if he's ready for a change, and he probably is, the Packers have no say in that.  

But his referencing to Rodgers being a "placeholder" for Love, about MLF and Gute having big smiles on draft night when they drafted Love, about how first round QB's start, etc., I don't think that's relevant.  Turning it over to Love will likely become true by necessity, because if Rodgers leaves, Love will play the position.  But I don't imagine that MLF is trying to push out Rodgers as a "placeholder" because he can't wait to win-or-lose games with Love.  The team would much rather win games again and at least try to make another run with Rodgers.  But that is not their call, it's his.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, craig said:

I usually like Brandt's stuff, and he makes some good points as always. But part of his logic is flawed, I think.  He frames it largely on two layers:  one is it's-time-for-a-change, the other that it's time to turn it over to love. 

I agree with Brandt, that sometimes change-for-change sake happens, and that Rodgers is probably ready for that.  It's his call, not Gute's, so if he's ready for a change, and he probably is, the Packers have no say in that.  

But his referencing to Rodgers being a "placeholder" for Love, about MLF and Gute having big smiles on draft night when they drafted Love, about how first round QB's start, etc., I don't think that's relevant.  Turning it over to Love will likely become true by necessity, because if Rodgers leaves, Love will play the position.  But I don't imagine that MLF is trying to push out Rodgers as a "placeholder" because he can't wait to win-or-lose games with Love.  The team would much rather win games again and at least try to make another run with Rodgers.  But that is not their call, it's his.  

I think Rodgers signs a team friendly deal and in exchange he's gets some input on offensive personnel.  He's not running the draft but similar to getting Cobb last year, he'll get some say with MLF and Gute on POSSIBLE FA acquisitions.  Is he going to get that anywhere else??  Maybe?

A "help us build around you" approach to Rodgers.  He gets a seat at the offense table for his final years and helps with the retooling.   Pitch that to him and see what he says.  

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1