Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Bill Huber / SI -  It’s fair to wonder if the Packers window of championship opportunity has closed. Maybe not completely, but by more than a little. They had everything in their favor this year, including the No. 1 seed – meaning a first-round bye and playoff games in cold weather and in front of fans – and a relatively healthy roster. How often does a team not only have the MVP quarterback but the good fortune of landing two star players – linebacker De’Vondre Campbell and cornerback Rasul Douglas – for next to nothing?

With major salary-cap problems, the Packers will be fortunate to retain receiver Davante Adams, let alone re-sign Campbell and Douglas. From a pure talent perspective, the 2022 team probably won’t be as good as the 2021 team. So, will Rodgers’ regular-season greatness ever translate to Super Bowl glory?

The Packers have fielded championship-contending teams for the better part of three decades. From an organizational perspective, after such sustained success, the potential of being bad has to be a scary thought. After all, coaches and general managers of bad teams typically find themselves calling Two Men and a Truck. For a franchise, losing is bad for business. You can’t sell NFC North Champions T-shirts if you aren’t NFC North champions, after all.

The Bengals are the opposites of the Packers. They’ve been awful for the better part of, well, forever. However, being bad comes with its perks. In 2019, the Bengals under first-year coach Zac Taylor lost their first 11 games before finishing 2-14. That allowed them to draft quarterback Joe Burrow with the No. 1 overall pick. Burrow struggled through some rookie growing pains before suffering a torn ACL at midseason. The Bengals finished 4-11-1. With the fifth pick of the draft, they selected receiver Ja’Marr Chase.

With Burrow and Chase forming one of the NFL’s great duos and with ample cap space to add several key players in free agency, the Bengals are going to the Super Bowl. Obviously, being bad, collecting top draft picks and having cap space doesn’t guarantee anything. Just look at the Detroit Lions, who have lost 10-plus games four consecutive seasons. Or the Jacksonville Jaguars, who went from 1-15 to 3-14 after drafting hot-shot quarterback Trevor Lawrence.

Still, an argument can be made that the Packers would be better off trading Rodgers and tagging and trading Adams for a heap of first-round picks. Sink or swim with Jordan Love.

If Love actually turns out to be decent, the Packers would at least be playoff contenders in 2022 because of their offensive line, running backs and defensive playmakers. And if Love stinks, then the Packers would be in position to draft a top quarterback in 2023.

Either way, they’d have a bunch of draft picks to reload. Everything about drafting Love might have been wrong, but Gutekunst’s first-round track record is excellent, otherwise, with Jaire Alexander, Darnell Savage, Rashan Gary and Eric Stokes.

No, there’s no guarantee the plan would work. Over the past 20 drafts, 40 quarterbacks have been taken with top-10 picks. Only three have earned All-Pro honors (Patrick Mahomes, Cam Newton and Matt Ryan). But there’s no guarantee riding with Rodgers for another three of four years will bring a championship, either.

If you’re Mark Murphy, there’s no reason to fear failure if you’re not totally convinced in a Rodgers-led future but you have total confidence in Gutekunst being able to put together a quick rebuild to set up another long run of success.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That's a big cap number for a player that struggled getting back from an ACL surgery. 

ACL is normally about a year and he got hurt at the end of the season. He had a setback, it happens. It's nothing to hold him over the fire for. He had a contract that was good for both sides and the only reason it would get that high is him doing the team a favor by restructuring to gain cap space this year. I still fail to see the problem.

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Is it all fixed now, or is he going to continue to struggle?  I know he addressed it with Nagler, but I haven't watched that yet.  

I don't know.  Just my gut saying that is the last contract I'd be wanting to push cap out into future years if the knee goes bad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spilltray said:

ACL is normally about a year and he got hurt at the end of the season. He had a setback, it happens. It's nothing to hold him over the fire for. He had a contract that was good for both sides and the only reason it would get that high is him doing the team a favor by restructuring to gain cap space this year. I still fail to see the problem.

I don't know the medical on his knee.  Just my gut feeling on it possibly being a less ideal move to push money to future years on his contract.  

Just now, squire12 said:

I don't know the medical on his knee.  Just my gut feeling on it possibly being a less ideal move to push money to future years on his contract.  

Then you don't lower the cap hit this year. That's fine too. I'm personally not a fan of pushing everyone down the road.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Then you don't lower the cap hit this year. That's fine too. I'm personally not a fan of pushing everyone down the road.

With Clark, Jaire, both Smiths, Amos, Turner, Lowry, there are a bunch of restructure/ extension options.

I get it if GB decides to restructure Bahktiari contract to create cap space.  They certain know more on the medical.  

Again, just my gut with his knee and wanting to keep the out option sooner vs later on his contract.

Bill Huber / SI  -  With the legendary Tom Brady officially retiring on Tuesday, the non-Super Bowl focus will turn to the future of NFL’s other living-legend quarterback, Green Bay Packers star Aaron Rodgers.

Will Rodgers return for another season or join Brady and former Steelers great Ben Roethlisberger as part of the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2027? If Rodgers does choose to return, will he want to play an 18th season in Green Bay or somewhere else that he deems to have a better chance of winning the Super Bowl?

A competitor would never back down from a challenge. It’s nonsense to believe Rodgers wouldn’t request a trade to Denver to join new Broncos coach Nathaniel Hackett just because the AFC West also is home to the Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes and the Chargers’ Justin Herbert. That’s just not how competitors think.

That being said, Rodgers is a smart guy. You can’t win the Super Bowl without getting to the Super Bowl. And the path is much easier in the NFC, especially without Brady’s seven championship rings standing in the way.

The AFC is in the early stages of a golden era of quarterbacking that’s going to carry the league through the rest of this decade and beyond.