Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Folks,

This is a really good video on the Packers salary cap situation.  The guy basically walks you through the roster and makes his moves.

You can agree or disagree with his moves but it gives you a better idea of where the Packers are.

I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Folks,

This is a really good video on the Packers salary cap situation.  The guy basically walks you through the roster and makes his moves.

You can agree or disagree with his moves but it gives you a better idea of where the Packers are.

I highly recommend it.

I will watch this later today when I get more time.  Fro. What I did watch, feels like the contract offers are pretty low

Why would King do a vet minimum deal?  He could get that at any point in FA, why do it early on before giving himself a chance at a deal elsewhere?

The net gain to cut Summers, Winfrey, Wirtel is around $600k when you add back a UDFA level salary.  Doesn't move the needle much

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

I will watch this later today when I get more time.  Fro. What I did watch, feels like the contract offers are pretty low

Why would King do a vet minimum deal?  He could get that at any point in FA, why do it early on before giving himself a chance at a deal elsewhere?

The net gain to cut Summers, Winfrey, Wirtel is around $600k when you add back a UDFA level salary.  Doesn't move the needle much

Yeah, as I said you can debate some of the specifics, but it gives you a general idea of what they have to do.  

1 hour ago, squire12 said:
8 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Folks,

I highly recommend it.

Expand  

so the video goes through some really team friendly contracts

• So Rodgers is essentially getting no more money to lower his cap hit for 2022.  No security for injury.   seems very unlikely
  • Adams is tagged with no long term deal
  • Douglass 3 year $12M
  • Campbell deal might be reasonable

8 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Folks,

I highly recommend it.

Pretty much all been discussed ad nauseam here, but I'll streamline my main thoughts on the deals.

1.) The Jaire Alexander deal looks about right, nothing crazy in terms of guarantees and structured very similar to Tre'Davious White and Marshon Lattimore.

2.) The Adrian Amos and Preston Smith extensions might be a bit light by a few million per year, but nothing crazy.

3.) The Tonyan extension looks really bad.  Last offseason, there were 12 TEs who got at least $2M+/year and only four of those were on one-year deals.  Aside from Tyler Kroft, the lowest 1 year deal was given to Jared Cook at $4.5M/year.  Probably need to double that salary that was given to Tonyan if he's testing FA.

4.) Cutting those fringe roster guys doesn't really save the Packers money, so while he uses it as part of the math the actual money saved is quite lower since you have to have pay the top 51.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Douglass 3 year $12M

That one is particularly bad IMO.  There were 14 corners last offseason who got $4M+/year and his AAV would make him the 39th highest paid corner.  He's going to get at least double that.  The Campbell deal looks about right though.

27 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Yeah, as I said you can debate some of the specifics, but it gives you a general idea of what they have to do.  

it has always been doable.  It also hinges on a lot of players taking deals that potentially leave money on the table.

• Comparing Alexander contract to several years old deals is not factoring in the rise in cap.  Probably need to go 20% over what is proposed
  • Preston seems to be getting a $10M signing bonus when Judon got $18M in a depressed cap year
  • Amos is due $14M over the next 2 years (with the voided year).   new 3 year extension adds $18M total with $10M signing bonus. 
    • Harrision Smith $16M aav at age 32
    • Justin Simmons $15M aav at age 27
    • Eddie Jackson $14M aav at age 27

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Pretty much all been discussed ad nauseam here, but I'll streamline my main thoughts on the deals.

1.) The Jaire Alexander deal looks about right, nothing crazy in terms of guarantees and structured very similar to Tre'Davious White and Marshon Lattimore.

2.) The Adrian Amos and Preston Smith extensions might be a bit light by a few million per year, but nothing crazy.

3.) The Tonyan extension looks really bad.  Last offseason, there were 12 TEs who got at least $2M+/year and only four of those were on one-year deals.  Aside from Tyler Kroft, the lowest 1 year deal was given to Jared Cook at $4.5M/year.  Probably need to double that salary that was given to Tonyan if he's testing FA.

4.) Cutting those fringe roster guys doesn't really save the Packers money, so while he uses it as part of the math the actual money saved is quite lower since you have to have pay the top 51.

I think the Alexander deal is pretty low.  5 year $90M with $20M in signing bonus is below Lattimore's 5 year $97M.   The cap is set to explode and agents/players know that.   so those deals need to be used and then adding around 15-20% or more is the likely process.  

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I think the Alexander deal is pretty low.  5 year $90M with $20M in signing bonus is below Lattimore's 5 year $97M.   The cap is set to explode and agents/players know that.   so those deals need to be used and then adding around 15-20% or more is the likely process.  

It looked about right, maybe a few million short.  If Jaire were healthy and played well this year, I'd argue he'd push for Jalen Ramsey money.  But $18-$19M/year seems about right.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It looked about right, maybe a few million short.  If Jaire were healthy and played well this year, I'd argue he'd push for Jalen Ramsey money.  But $18-$19M/year seems about right.

The injury might be a saving grace.  Just feels like a cap that is expected to be $230 in 2023 and $250 in 2024, players are going to look at a 20% bump when comparing prior contracts for valuation.  I think the guaranteed money in roster bonus/base is going be needed and more of the thing for future contracts allowing more flexibility