Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

The injury might be a saving grace.  Just feels like a cap that is expected to be $230 in 2023 and $250 in 2024, players are going to look at a 20% bump when comparing prior contracts for valuation.  I think the guaranteed money in roster bonus/base is going be needed and more of the thing for future contracts allowing more flexibility

They're not breaking the current salary cap by 20%.  If Jaire signs a short term extension, maybe.  The market has been set, but they're not getting the inflation a year early.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They're not breaking the current salary cap by 20%.  If Jaire signs a short term extension, maybe.  The market has been set, but they're not getting the inflation a year early.

Possible.  With GB in need of cap relief from Alexander 's extension, he has some leverage to get more.

52 minutes ago, Sandy said:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/02/cb-rasul-douglas-open-to-packers-return#ref=home

Interesting comment from Rasul. Interested in “probably a little more. Nothing crazy” when asked about what he'd ask for in comparison to the league minimum.

It will be interesting,  could he get more elsewhere??  Probably, but perhaps he found a place he feels comfortable, maybe for the first time a little job security.  It's not easy being a fringe NFL player looking for your spot, he's been there.  If he likes it in Green Bay, sign him.  

Edited by NFLGURU

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

I'm sure his agent gave him a call after that quote. I'll take Campbell over Douglass if that's what it comes down to

Even then, is he really going to turn down more money from another team?  Absolutely not.  He'd be foolish to do so.  If one team is offering him 4 years, $40M and the Packers are offering 3 years, $12M he'd be stupid to turn that down.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sandy said:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/02/cb-rasul-douglas-open-to-packers-return#ref=home

Interesting comment from Rasul. Interested in “probably a little more. Nothing crazy” when asked about what he'd ask for in comparison to the league minimum.

The Ringer did a great piece on Douglas....I'd love to see him stay in a GB uniform but I definitely wouldn't begrudge a guy in his position for going out and getting some financial security. 

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Even then, is he really going to turn down more money from another team?  Absolutely not.  He'd be foolish to do so.  If one team is offering him 4 years, $40M and the Packers are offering 3 years, $12M he'd be stupid to turn that down.

Of course not .. if the money is relatively the same or maybe a little bit of a home town discount he stays.  Nobody is goofy enough to turn down a big difference in dollars offered.    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Of course not .. if the money is relatively the same or maybe a little bit of a home town discount he stays.  Nobody is goofy enough to turn down a big difference in dollars offered.    

Yeah he might see taking a deal with the Packers, staying in this defense, as worth risking a small hometown discount now for a potentially bigger payday down the road.  Should be interesting to see what kind of offers he gets.

I don't think any team is going to offer huge guarantees to him considering he's got just part of one year of production under his belt, so he might be interested in a shorter deal with a larger guaranteed portion.

We could also do something like offer a 4 year deal with a large salary in the final year, spread out a decent signing bonus for cap purposes, so if he plays well for three years we'd either extend him or pay him at that higher rate for a year. With enough in the first three years that he'd be content.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

As you know it's not what they offer you, it's what they guarantee you. If, given your scenario guaranteed money is the same, I could see a guy choosing where he is most comfortable. 

• Like 1

Appears to be a done deal.......

Ian Rapoport -  The Packers are expected to hire former #Raiders interim coach Rich Bisaccia as their new special teams coach, sources say. The unit was an issue in GB last year, and coach Matt LaFleur goes a long way toward fixing it. Bisaccia is universally respected.